Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by TTT
I would agree, but this quote from the AJC may mean something else.

(Bolding mine)
Good point... I guess we will see! Whatever the answer, I think the concept of these ads looks pretty clever. The sparks behind the scaffolding, which then is lifted off to reveal the new brand id... the painting of the plane, and then the unveiling the shiny new (model) sitting in the (fake) hangar. Really expresses the work they've done to build a new airline... and in this case, as we all know, it really is true.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by gilpin
Huh? The failure of "new coke" had to do with the formula of what they put in the can, not the can design. You couldn't have chosen an example which demonstates my point more clearly!
I disagree, many of us didnt even taste it before we protested. It was not coke without the red can with white wavy and the font.

I will give you another example...United Jewish Appeal....the united way of the Jewish world...spent a lot of money and some marketing person told them to become "The United Jewish Communities"...same organization, same people, new brand look and name...lost MILLIONS in donors because of the perception around it and has regretted the change ever since
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lehava
I disagree, many of us didnt even taste it before we protested. It was not coke without the red can with white wavy and the font.
Perhaps a few people didn't like the new can design, but that was not the main reason the product failed. Furthermore the new coke can did have a wavy and the product name in the old font: http://www.drinkatwork.com/newcoke.jpg

Even if a new can design had been a problem, that example (and your other) shows the dangers of changing the package design, not of keeping a known one. A new livery for DL is such a change in package design and who knows if people will like it better or worse?

The fact of the matter is that DL is already well known as a brand of airline. What people remember most is their customer experience. If their experience is good they will learn to like (or at least accept) the aircraft livery and uniform design. If it is bad it doesn't matter how the planes are painted.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by DAL767-400ER
At the risk of repeating a point that most bashers seem to prefer to ignore:
PLANES HAVE TO REPAINTED IN INTERVALS ANYWAY, IT DOESN'T COST DELTA ANY ADDITIONAL MONEY.
And in case anyone is interested in the new livery:
http://flickr.com/photos/ritchkoff/4...7600051447339/
I'm sure they are paying someone to design the color scheme, and have to create a brand new process for painting.

I do know planes have to painted, please do not insult my intelligence.

Also, maybe you want to pay attention to USAirways planes, the paint is pealing from the fuselage and they don't care, because they don't want to spend the money on repainting often.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
If Delta wants to keep building up its international flyers, especially out of JFK, but also ATL they need to make the interiors of the planes more attractive with personal entertainment systems (I forgot the actual acronym) in both BusinessElite and Coach.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by aviationkiwi
Also, maybe you want to pay attention to USAirways planes, the paint is pealing from the fuselage and they don't care, because they don't want to spend the money on repainting often.
Yeah Delta should take their lead from US Airways, that's the ticket *laughing so hard I might pull something*. Newsflash Aviation...around here anything Scareways does is pretty much written down as just the opposite for DL to do
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Yeah Delta should take their lead from US Airways, that's the ticket *laughing so hard I might pull something*. Newsflash Aviation...around here anything Scareways does is pretty much written down as just the opposite for DL to do
I'm not suggesting for them to do the USAirways thing. Please don't. But planes have not to be repainted every 2 years, and they can even go longer than usual without major problems. Anyways, going to drop it.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick_in_Atlanta
If Delta wants to keep building up its international flyers, especially out of JFK, but also ATL they need to make the interiors of the planes more attractive with personal entertainment systems (I forgot the actual acronym) in both BusinessElite and Coach.
I agree (and welcome to the forum!) but I wouldn't underestimate the power of branding as part of the whole package of how people feel about the products they use. Honestly, I'm fairly savvy (read: cynical ) but even when DL service disappoints, I like when FAs look sharp and the logos etc. look world-class. Rational? No, but as we move up the need hierarchy I think it becomes less and less about basic satisficing and more about how we emotionally connect/identify with the product.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:27 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by rhetor
I agree (and welcome to the forum!) but I wouldn't underestimate the power of branding as part of the whole package of how people feel about the products they use. Honestly, I'm fairly savvy (read: cynical ) but even when DL service disappoints, I like when FAs look sharp and the logos etc. look world-class. Rational? No, but as we move up the need hierarchy I think it becomes less and less about basic satisficing and more about how we emotionally connect/identify with the product.
Very well said Rhetor

And Aviation, sorry if my response was a little terse, suggesting Delta do much like Parker does gets my dander up a little *smile*
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:47 pm

My 2 cents:

The AJC Article stated that the new livery would not be introduced until after the airline emerges from bankruptcy. Normaly wouldn't the board of directors, and the airline's CEO have to meet and sign off on something this important? (if not then who at DL decided this one's it?)
The new board of directors has been chosen but the new CEO hasn't, which leads me to believe that this version (a.net pictures) is not the final version
but could be one of several designs that may be voted on when they finally meet.

Whatever the new design turns out to be, it will be radical. Delta is looking to reinvent itself and this will mean a totally whole new look.

Now that Delta has transformed itself into a mostly International carrier, I hope the new design leans more towards elegance and less towards cartoonish. The picture posted on A.net, is one possible step in that direction.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:32 pm

I think the new look will be fine when it is embroidered onto the F/C domestic extra plush cloth napkins
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:46 pm
Suspended

I'm amazed that people seem to care so much about the design of the paint job or FA uniforms. IMHO neither factor adds anything to the flying experience.

I don't really care what paint scheme DL uses given two things:

1. They adopt a design which is as cheap as possible to apply and which will hold up well while looking presentable.

2. They only repaint the planes as needed.
The current "Colors in Motion" tail is very expensive to apply, due to the intricate design and number of colors. The design in the pictures circulating online has fewer colors and is much simpler, which will save money in the long run. Except for a few initial paint jobs or in a merger, aircrafts are usually only repainted as needed.

Does anyone know how much money DL has wasted over the years repainting planes or redesigning uniforms in order to put a personal stamp of a particular executive on the enterprise? Maybe it is not as much as I think, but it is certainly more than it should have been. One thing is clear to me; when ranking priorities for DL's limited financial resources, this cannot be anywhere near the top of the list.
Very little. Planes are repainted on a regular basis and uniform pieces are replaced every few years. The only cost is for the upfront design, which is usually included in the marketing budget.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:37 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by SAYONNARA
My 2 cents:

The AJC Article stated that the new livery would not be introduced until after the airline emerges from bankruptcy. Normaly wouldn't the board of directors, and the airline's CEO have to meet and sign off on something this important? (if not then who at DL decided this one's it?)
The new board of directors has been chosen but the new CEO hasn't, which leads me to believe that this version (a.net pictures) is not the final version
but could be one of several designs that may be voted on when they finally meet.

Whatever the new design turns out to be, it will be radical. Delta is looking to reinvent itself and this will mean a totally whole new look.

Now that Delta has transformed itself into a mostly International carrier, I hope the new design leans more towards elegance and less towards cartoonish. The picture posted on A.net, is one possible step in that direction.
The new CEO hasnt been ANNOUNCED that doesnt mean internally Delta doesnt have a working plan involving that individual!!!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:38 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sxf24
The current "Colors in Motion" tail is very expensive to apply, due to the intricate design and number of colors. The design in the pictures circulating online has fewer colors and is much simpler, which will save money in the long run. Except for a few initial paint jobs or in a merger, aircrafts are usually only repainted as needed.
And as Delta has seen and learned over the last few years, cheaper is NOT always best for business!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:08 pm
Suspended

And as Delta has seen and learned over the last few years, cheaper is NOT always best for business!
When it comes to what's on the outside of the plane, it sure doesn't hurt to spend less applying and flying paint around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.