Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: Centurion AMEX, Citi Chairman
Originally Posted by vasantn
ExpertFlyer is not a booking service. You would have to book through normal channels.
I understand that ExpertFlyer is not a booking service... but, how does one specify a specific "forced stop" to delta.com or such without adding to the price?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by DrDave2006
I understand that ExpertFlyer is not a booking service... but, how does one specify a specific "forced stop" to delta.com or such without adding to the price?

You have to build a multi-segment flight on DL.com vs roundtrip.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
OK, let's see if I can take this one at a time.

BamaGirl, Normally when you do a Flight Availability search the GDS's will try to route you in the shortest possible route. However, if you want to force a route through one or two connecting cities, then put an airport code in the Flight Availability query screen box called Connecting Airport(s). As an example, if you wanted to route LGA-ATL-LAX, you would put LGA in the Departing Airport, LAX in the Arriving Airport and ATL in the Connecting Airport(s) and DL in Airline(s). This will force a return of itineraries that route LGA-ATL-LAX. You can add two connecting airports if you want. More complex routings have to be done with multiple queries as the GDS's limit the search to just two connecting airports.

avflyer, The term "hidden" means that the airline has chosen not to make it visible for simple accesses usually because the fare bucket is not a revenue bucket, such as the ones for DL upgrades. So, we have to specifically request them of the GDS in a different way then normal inventory look-up. If we always asked for the hidden inventory then we don't get the revenue buckets returned to us and vice versa. This is why hidden buckets must be requested explicitly. However, you can request up to 5 buckets, hidden or normally visible, by entering them in the Class Code(s) box along with the airline code - DL. We are always making improvements to the service and hope to streamline the access to award and upgrade inventory, hidden or not.

Kagehitokiri, I'm not aware if the links are put in a sticky anywhere but they are accessible from our home page, logged in or not, under the FAQ/HELP link at the top of the page.

Finally, if at any time you have any questions, suggestions or comments you can reach our support folks at: [email protected].

Thanks for your support,
EFV
EFV - Thanks so much for the information. Understood and appreciated.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:57 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrDave2006
Whether or not a forced stop or connection adds to the price depends on the routing rules for that particular route and the fare class you are choosing. The fare rules and routing rules can also be found on ExpertFlyer in the Fare Information response screens by clicking on the links next to the particular fares. Some fares are n/s only, some allow connections to be made.

Nobody said the airlines make things easy.

As far as ticketing, some airline websites allow you to construct multi-city routes but they may not always show all the flight options that you will find on ExpertFlyer. When this happens, call the airline directly and tell them the specific route you want. If you can see the route you want on EF then the agent can see it also even though their website may not offer it. Again, the airline websites are designed to offered the most direct or the least expensive route and not always all the possible options.

And thanks to all for the warm welcome here on the DL forum. It is true as vasantn said that I tend to post more on the AA side. This is because there is much more visibility of AA awards, upgrades and so-called "sticker" upgrades that AA makes available to us on ExpertFlyer.

-EFV
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Expert Flyer Not Showing My Flight..

Wonder Why? Shows every other flight between ATL & SEA on teh 15th, just missing DL1275??

I had to call SMS to get V inventory... bummer
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
That happened to me last week with my DL JFK-LAS flight. There was nothing unusual about the flight either-- no equipment change, reschedule, etc. I have yet to find anything very useful about expertflyer.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Happens to me occasionally. Also sometimes find that it doesn't have adequate inventory's updated. It's quite annoying, especially as a paying customer of the service.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I think you are not using it the right way. If you email customer service, they will be glad to explain it to you.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
I was able to see every other flight between those two cities. I tried three or 4 ways.. I'm not exactly a newbie I dont guess.. but it's a fairly straightforward site.. 1/2 of my flights were there... the other 1/2 werent listed..

found all my flights for another trip coming up.. either way.. it's annoying..

had to call SMS.. but GOOD NEWS.... 7 available with only 5 days left.. or maybe thats not good news.. lol
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Expertflyer.com says J0 Y0, Delta.com still sold me a seat

Was trying to get someone to NCE, and both EF and the Delta rep told me the flight I wanted was sold out. However, Delta.com sold me a seat. That person is Gold, but is there going to be a problem? It shows a booking code of Y, so I'm assuming this will be some discount-fared non-elite whose problem this becoms?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JumboD
Was trying to get someone to NCE, and both EF and the Delta rep told me the flight I wanted was sold out. However, Delta.com sold me a seat. That person is Gold, but is there going to be a problem? It shows a booking code of Y, so I'm assuming this will be some discount-fared non-elite whose problem this becoms?
Are you sure your friend isn't a PM?

Additional Platinum Member Benefits
Guaranteed Reservation—Assurance of a confirmed full-fare Economy Class reservation on sold-out flights with 24 hours' advance notice.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...fits/index.jsp
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD
Correct.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
Are you sure your friend isn't a PM?

Additional Platinum Member Benefits
Guaranteed Reservation—Assurance of a confirmed full-fare Economy Class reservation on sold-out flights with 24 hours' advance notice.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...fits/index.jsp
Definitely Gold. The site gave me the ticket even before i entered the ff #.
Old May 1, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Pretty sure they oversell by some percentage, knowing people are going to no-show or change to different flights. Perhaps they were indeed sold out, but still under whatever percentage of oversell they allow...
Old May 1, 2008, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
If that is JFK-NCE, there is a good chance that ClipperDelta will get bumped to make room for your party.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.