Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by publicmsu
How is it that for a flight tomorrow, Expertflyer shows 1 seat in Y and the upgrade list shows 15?
Because there are 15 medallions who haven't been upgraded...?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta - Silver
Originally Posted by GaryO3
Because there are 15 medallions who haven't been upgraded...?
Doubtful, on a CRJ900 with 2 seats in F right now.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Doubtful, on a CRJ900 with 2 seats in F right now.
There can be more Medallion members on the list than seats available....they do not always upgrade people in advance, so the remaining two seats will either be sold or Medallions will be upgraded at the gate.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
There can be more Medallion members on the list than seats available....they do not always upgrade people in advance, so the remaining two seats will either be sold or Medallions will be upgraded at the gate.
Why would Delta display the number of Medallions as available standby seats for coach with 2 seats available in F?!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I'm confused - are you talking about a flight you are on right now (as stated in your most recent post) or a flight tomorrow, which you initially stated?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
This thread is confusing!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:46 pm

I think what the OP means is why does the upgrade list show 15 available coach seats on a certain flight, while ExpertFlyer shows only Y1.

When we are added to the Upgrade List and click view upgrade list we have pop up that shows open seats in F and open seats in Coach. I think that is what the OP is referring to- not the number of Medallions on the upgrade list for F.

Personally, I'd like to myself. Many times I see ExpertFlyer showing close to no availability and I'm excited for a possible oversold situation, yet Delta.com's upgrade list pop-up shows many coach seats available. Why is that?

-Kinglobjaw
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I think what the OP means is why does the upgrade list show 15 available coach seats on a certain flight, while ExpertFlyer shows only Y1.

When we are added to the Upgrade List and click view upgrade list we have pop up that shows open seats in F and open seats in Coach. I think that is what the OP is referring to- not the number of Medallions on the upgrade list for F.

Personally, I'd like to myself. Many times I see ExpertFlyer showing close to no availability and I'm excited for a possible oversold situation, yet Delta.com's upgrade list pop-up shows many coach seats available. Why is that?

-Kinglobjaw
Since DL holds back seats on most (all?) flights, does that information go to EF? In otherwords, assume 10 seats are held back... if EF shows Y2 does that mean that in reality there are Y12 seats? I'd imagine that by the time you get to the upgrade list (T-24), the DL system would show all of the Y availability. Just a guess...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw

-Kinglobjaw
This is correct. The numbers show 15 Y seats and 2 F seats. Expertflyer shows 1 Y seat and 2 F seats. How is there such a large discrepancy?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
This is correct. The numbers show 15 Y seats and 2 F seats. Expertflyer shows 1 Y seat and 2 F seats. How is there such a large discrepancy?
People arent checking in online.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by turnpike17
People arent checking in online.
The number of available coach seats as seen on the delta.com upgrade/standby page has nothing to do with how many people have checked-in.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by akonradi
The number of available coach seats as seen on the delta.com upgrade/standby page has nothing to do with how many people have checked-in.
Nor does it have anything to do with the number of medallions on the flight, at least I never was led to believe that.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:07 pm

Strange ExpertFlyer results for F fare

Very strange results when searching ExperFlyer for FC on Friday...

Using Awards & Upgrades tab, select CLT-SRQ 6 AM flight and enter other fare class "F" (did not select any other options): DL 2054 (CLT-ATL) shows F8 and DL 1514 (ATL-SRQ) shows F2

Using Awards & Upgrades tab, select ATL-SRQ 8 AM flight and enter other fare class "F" (did not select any other options): DL 1514 (ATL-SRQ) shows F7

Using Flight Availability tab, select CLT-SRQ 6 AM and enter fare class "F" only: same F8/F2 results

Using Flight Availability tab, select ATL-SRQ 8 AM and enter fare class "F" only: same F7 results

Curious as to why connecting flights show F2 only (I would expect this if the CLT-ATL flight had fewer F seats but that's obviously not the case.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
As has been discussed many times in the threads...

Seat availability on Expert Flyer only shows the number of seats Delta is willing to sell on any given flight. Y=1 means they will only sell one more coach seat.

Seat availability via the seat map is absolutely no indication of a flight being oversold, undersold or right at capacity. The online seat maps do not show the number of seats reserved for airport assignment. 15 open seats simply means there are plenty of people who have booked seats on the flight but have no seat assignment.

-RM
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
As has been discussed many times in the threads...

Seat availability on Expert Flyer only shows the number of seats Delta is willing to sell on any given flight. Y=1 means they will only sell one more coach seat.

Seat availability via the seat map is absolutely no indication of a flight being oversold, undersold or right at capacity. The online seat maps do not show the number of seats reserved for airport assignment. 15 open seats simply means there are plenty of people who have booked seats on the flight but have no seat assignment.

-RM

I think that the OP is referring to the number of seats that show as available on the upgrade list, not on the seat map.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.