Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by publicmsu
Doubtful, on a CRJ900 with 2 seats in F right now.
If you look at the seat map for the flight, do you see closer to 15 or 1 unassigned Y seats?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I think—maybe one of the DL employees could chime in—that the "Seats available in coach" number is literally the number of unassigned seats in coach, including seats that are being held for assignment at the gate.

What it doesn't include are "HK's"—or people with a confirmed seat request card—pax who are waiting to get their seat at the gate.

So, in your case, it could be that there are 15 seats held for gate assignment, but there are anywhere from 13-18 people confirmed but without a seat assignment, making the flight full to oversold.

Again, this is pure speculation, but I've been trying to puzzle out what that number means for a while and this is the best I can come up with.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
How is it that for a flight tomorrow, Expertflyer shows 1 seat in Y and the upgrade list shows 15?
Why would Delta display the number of Medallions as available standby seats for coach with 2 seats available in F?!
This is correct. The numbers show 15 Y seats and 2 F seats. Expertflyer shows 1 Y seat and 2 F seats. How is there such a large discrepancy?
I'll agree w MR_MAMA that this thread is confusing & it took a turn that doesn't make sense when the OP gave conflicting info. Based on the first 2 posts, OP you seem to be confusing what the #s show. Per your first post, there is one seat open in coach & there are 15 pax on the upgrade list. Those 15 pax should have an assigned seat in coach but they are on the list to be upgraded into one of those 2 seats in First you mention. It's common to have more pax on the upgrade list than there are available seats in F. But then later OP states "the numbers show 15 Y seats" but w same original Expert Flyer #s, contradicting the first post?

If you list the flight you're talking about (date, flight #, city pairing) perhaps a more definitive answer can be given. Sorry if I've added even more confusion to the subject!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta - Silver
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
I'll agree w MR_MAMA that this thread is confusing & it took a turn that doesn't make sense when the OP gave conflicting info. Based on the first 2 posts, OP you seem to be confusing what the #s show. Per your first post, there is one seat open in coach & there are 15 pax on the upgrade list. Those 15 pax should have an assigned seat in coach but they are on the list to be upgraded into one of those 2 seats in First you mention. It's common to have more pax on the upgrade list than there are available seats in F. But then later OP states "the numbers show 15 Y seats" but w same original Expert Flyer #s, contradicting the first post?

If you list the flight you're talking about (date, flight #, city pairing) perhaps a more definitive answer can be given. Sorry if I've added even more confusion to the subject!
'

Expert flyer shows 1 Y seat available.

The upgrade list shows (now) 12 seats available in coach.

This has nothing to do with the length of the upgrade list, nor number of medallions. There is a huge discrepancy between what EF shows as available for sale and what Delta.com shows available on the upgrade list when it displays my position on the list (doesn't matter), the number of F seats (doesn't matter), and number of coach seats (the discrepancy that I cannot resolve).

Here's the Delta text: Total Available Seats 2(F) 12(Y)
Here's the EF text: F2 P0 A0 Y1 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0

I was just curious as to why these are so different?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Apples and oranges.

IMHO and YMMV...

Upgrade list has nothing to do with available for sale.

Expert flyer is showing what's available for sale at what fare class. From your numbers, there are 2 seats available for sale in F and 1 in Y.

The upgrade list showing 12 seats available in Y is about unassigned, physically available seats that are not necessarily financially available. (Yes, confusing.)

The open seats may be because of an acceptable overbooking percentage (most flights are overbooked by X-% to ensure fuller loads) or, more likely, is due to passengers with confirmed tickets and no assigned seat (the famous "seat request" BP).

Final thought: Remember that you're looking at this info on Delta.com; ALL the info on the upgrade list could be the result of another glitch.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
'

Expert flyer shows 1 Y seat available.

This has nothing to do with the length of the upgrade list, nor number of medallions. There is a huge discrepancy between what EF shows as available for sale and what Delta.com shows available on the upgrade list when it displays my position on the list (doesn't matter), the number of F seats (doesn't matter), and number of coach seats (the discrepancy that I cannot resolve).

Here's the EF text: F2 P0 A0 Y1 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0

I was just curious as to why these are so different?
Maybe I'm getting caught up in semantics & we're using different terms? The upgrade list shows people already confirmed in coach who are on a list to get an upgrade should a seat in first become available. And this is not the # of seats DL has "available" for upgrades, it's just the # of people who are eligible should a seat become available (in order of priority). There is no upgrade list for coach. If you are on the upgrade list you should already have a confirmed seat in coach. If you're looking at the Delta.com seat map as your basis for saying how many seats are open on a flight, that's not a reliable indicator.

If you are standing by for a seat in coach that's not an upgrade list, that's the (airport) standby list. And unless you have access to DL's internal system, you wouldn't know your position on the (coach) standby list I don't think? (could be wrong?)...and if you did have access to that system, you wouldn't need the Expert Flyer #s to judge seat availability. (nor would you have posted this thread most likely)

I think now I've even confused myself? If you had listed your flight details from the start I bet you would have had a PM from someone pretty quick who could unravel all this. In any case, good luck getting your upgrade and/or getting on the flight.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Maybe I'm getting caught up in semantics & we're using different terms? The upgrade list shows people already confirmed in coach who are on a list to get an upgrade should a seat in first become available.
You are talking about different parts of the same thing. The Upgrade list that you can see after you've OLCI, not only includes upgrade info, but the # of "Available" seats in F & Y (see OP's post above). My understanding is that these "Available" seats are those that currently do not have anyone assigned to sit in them. There could be a number of pax who are ticketed but don't have seat assignments.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:04 pm
Original Member

I recently was searching for Z availability from BHM-NRT. All flights came back with nothing on the connecting international leg. However, only searching MSP-NRT, DTW-NRT, and ATL-NRT yielded availability.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:07 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Doubt this is helpful but recently saw F1 on expertflyer and thought that there was no chance to get upgrade at gate but asked at SC just to double check and the agent said there was 4 seats available! In this case, either DL was not selling 3 F seats or there was an EF/DL glitch. Would be very interested in other feedback re: possible causes of OP issue as well as mine.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:36 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GaryO3
Very strange results when searching ExperFlyer for FC on Friday...

Using Awards & Upgrades tab, select CLT-SRQ 6 AM flight and enter other fare class "F" (did not select any other options): DL 2054 (CLT-ATL) shows F8 and DL 1514 (ATL-SRQ) shows F2

Using Awards & Upgrades tab, select ATL-SRQ 8 AM flight and enter other fare class "F" (did not select any other options): DL 1514 (ATL-SRQ) shows F7

Using Flight Availability tab, select CLT-SRQ 6 AM and enter fare class "F" only: same F8/F2 results

Using Flight Availability tab, select ATL-SRQ 8 AM and enter fare class "F" only: same F7 results

Curious as to why connecting flights show F2 only (I would expect this if the CLT-ATL flight had fewer F seats but that's obviously not the case.
This looks to be due to married segment logic. This is where airlines change the availability of a flight depending on what other flights it may be paired with.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
ExpertFlyer's help needed

Will an expertflyer tell me the # of remaining seats in coach and biz on DL258 (tomorrow) and DL70 (Saturday AMS-BOM)?

Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
If by tomorrow you mean Friday (?)...not sure what time zone you are in, SFO?

DL258 03/18/11

SFO-MSP J2 D2 S2 I2 Y4 B4 M4 H2 Q2 K1 L1 U1 T0
MSP-AMS J2 D2 S2 I2 Y4 B4 M4 H2 Q2 K1 L1 U1 T0

DL70 3/19/11

AMS-BOM J5 D2 S0 I0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:48 pm

Thank you! Just to clarify does this "Y4 B4 M4 H2 Q2 K1 L1 U1 T0" mean that coach has 19 seats open?

Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
No that means there are 4 coach seats available for sale. The fare buckets aren't cumulative horizontally. There are ## tickets left in each fare class...

You could go to Delta.com and buy 4 Y tickets, or 4 M tickets, or 2Q, 1K, and 1L (so to speak, not necessarily in practice as there are other factors that may prevent you from doing so). You should not be able to buy 5 coach seats as max for sale=4.

Y and J will tell you how many seats are left for sale in that class of service with max #=9 even if there are >9 seats for sale in that cabin. 9 is the highest # displayed.

That's the simple(ish) version.

Last edited by iamhereandthere; Mar 18, 2011 at 12:07 am Reason: typing too late in the night
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:27 am

Thank you so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.