Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by timmy83
Perhaps their customer vase would appreciate hearing just that as opposed to nothing. What's wrong with saying, "we are currently speaking with delta and hope to have a resolution" in lieu of hiding from us?
Precisely, and even more so since I am paying for this service and it is a major reason I signed up for EF in the first place. Well, my renewal is coming up in a couple weeks so will be dropping that based on the evidence at hand.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:15 am

EF support are now confirming that Delta has removed the relevant inventory from the GDS.

What a pain.....

Delta has unfortunately chosen to remove all of their upgrade inventory from the GDS reservation systems, and as such it is no longer available in ExpertFlyer at this time. This is after previously being told by Delta over the course of many years that upgrade inventory would continue to be made available. We believe that this applies to all those who use a GDS, such as travel agents, and is not unique to ExpertFlyer. As such all Flight Alerts for the affected upgrade classes will be set to Expired as to not count against your active alert limit.

We agree with the sentiments of our customers that ultimately this does more harm than good to their best customers and suggest that you contact Delta and express to them how you feel about the ability to see, evaluate, and use these various upgrade inventories and the value it adds to your elite status with Delta.
http://www.delta.com/contactus/pages...aint/index.jsp

Please note that all other Delta information in ExpertFlyer is unaffected by this change.

Thank you,
The ExpertFlyer.com Team
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Not to argue with you, but in this post in another thread you posted a reply from EF support to an email you sent them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21832058-post36.html

I interpret the absence of any further word from EFV here as that nothing has changed from that email to you. I am sure we will hear something from EFV when the time comes.
It's fine for me and I cited that email in my rant. I'm probably more satisfied than others who are DL fliers and subscribe to EF. How would you like for your communication from the company to have come from an email that another customer posted on a frequent flyer message board.

Perhaps EF Voice has set the bar too high over the months and years by maintaining a fairly healthy presence here, but that is part of what I expected when I signed up for the service.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just sent a nastygram to DL... will be following up with a letter. This is beyond unacceptable. They can take their SWUs and shove it as far as I'm concerned.

If you try to run a search for RP/OP on expertflyer, the following message comes up in red

Delta has unfortunately chosen to remove all of their upgrade inventory from the GDS reservation systems and as such it is no longer available in ExpertFlyer at this time. More information about the change and how to send feedback to Delta about it can be found here. Thank you for your understanding.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Just sent a nastygram to DL... will be following up with a letter. This is beyond unacceptable. They can take their SWUs and shove it as far as I'm concerned.

If you try to run a search for RP/OP on expertflyer, the following message comes up in red
ExpertFlyer Voice just chimed in the the EF Flyer Down thread. Looks like more vitriol from DL. I've fired off another email.

Last edited by timmy83; Nov 26, 2013 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow I received a BS canned response from DL already... guess they had this prepared and ready for the backlash.

Dear Rylan,

Thank you for your email to Delta Air Lines.

We do not have a business relationship with ExpertFlyer and the
organization used unauthorized information to provide Upgrade
availability to their subscribers.

At this time, we do not provide the number of seats available for
Upgrades. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into
consideration as we continue to update our technology tools and
services.

For additional questions regarding ExpertFlyer’s Upgrade service, please
contact ExpertFlyer directly.

When you are needing assistance to verify if a flight is available using
your Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, we will be happy to assist you.
Please contact your Diamond Medallion Desk and any representative will
help you.

We know this is disappointing, and sincerely appreciate the opportunity
to explain our position. We appreciate your Diamond Medallion loyalty
and we hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of choice.

Sincerely,

Diamond Desk
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
This move away from transparency is outrageous. I have sent the following complaint to Delta and encourage everyone here to do the same. If we make enough noise, perhaps they will realize their mistake and reverse the change (a la SDC).

-----

To Whom It May Concern,

Delta has recently changed its longstanding policy of allowing access to OP/RP upgrade inventory through its global distribution systems (GDS).

Without access to OP/RP inventory through tools like ExpertFlyer, it is extremely difficult for Delta flyers to plan travel using Systemwide Upgrade Certificates and Mileage Upgrade Awards. Access to OP/RP inventory through tools like ExpertFlyer is extremely important for Delta's frequent flyers, especially Diamond and Platinum Medallions (such as myself) who plan to use Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, because Delta phone agents are often unwilling to perform the comprehensive searches needed to find OP/RP inventory when planning travel.

The removal of access to OP/RP inventory represents a serious impediment to the use of Systemwide Upgrade Certificates and Mileage Upgrade Awards. In particular, it adversely affects Delta's most loyal customers. This change has prompted me and many others to question the value of Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, and thereby the value of Diamond and Platinum Medallion status. Please reverse this change and re-enable access to OP/RP inventory.

Yours sincerely,
lamont2718
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rylan
Wow I received a BS canned response from DL already... guess they had this prepared and ready for the backlash.
Just so there is no confusion, not only was the data legitimately purchased via our GDS contracts, but executives at Delta were aware that ExpertFlyer was showing DL upgrade inventory and we were allowed to continue doing so until their recent policy change. Any statement to the contrary is misleading.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Just so there is no confusion, not only was the data legitimately purchased via our GDS contracts, but executives at Delta were aware that ExpertFlyer was showing DL upgrade inventory and we were allowed to continue doing so until their recent policy change. Any statement to the contrary is misleading.
Shame on Delta. With all of the program changes and now cutting of EF, it's like some paranoid exec at DAL has declared "war on customers".
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for that clarification. Certainly points to DL being the source of the problems.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
DL not accusing EF?

Quoted from Delta's e-mail response to rylan: "We do not have a business relationship with ExpertFlyer and the organization used unauthorized information to provide Upgrade availability to their subscribers. "

I'm not sure DL is accusing EF of anything. A plausible reading would be that the "organization" from which EF purchased DL's data became "unauthorized," possibly by declining a price increase or a functionality decrease.

It wouldn't be the first time DL writers were less than crystal-clear. It would be good for DL to clarify that they aren't accusing EF of anything, if they aren't.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by lamont2718
This move away from transparency is outrageous. I have sent the following complaint to Delta and encourage everyone here to do the same. If we make enough noise, perhaps they will realize their mistake and reverse the change (a la SDC).

-----

To Whom It May Concern,

Delta has recently changed its longstanding policy of allowing access to OP/RP upgrade inventory through its global distribution systems (GDS).

Without access to OP/RP inventory through tools like ExpertFlyer, it is extremely difficult for Delta flyers to plan travel using Systemwide Upgrade Certificates and Mileage Upgrade Awards. Access to OP/RP inventory through tools like ExpertFlyer is extremely important for Delta's frequent flyers, especially Diamond and Platinum Medallions (such as myself) who plan to use Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, because Delta phone agents are often unwilling to perform the comprehensive searches needed to find OP/RP inventory when planning travel.

The removal of access to OP/RP inventory represents a serious impediment to the use of Systemwide Upgrade Certificates and Mileage Upgrade Awards. In particular, it adversely affects Delta's most loyal customers. This change has prompted me and many others to question the value of Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, and thereby the value of Diamond and Platinum Medallion status. Please reverse this change and re-enable access to OP/RP inventory.

Yours sincerely,
lamont2718
Did you use the DL.com form or send an email and if so to what address?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I emailed back requesting escalation of my concerns and questioning the reasoning of the initial reply to me and received the below...

Thank you for contacting us.

I apologize that you are not happy with this situation involving
Expertflyer and Delta. You have a valid concern and I regret that we
took something useful away from many of our High Value Passengers. I am
forwarding this up the corporate ladder to the appropriate Leadership
Team for review.

As always, we appreciate your Diamond Medallion business
and look forward to seeing you on your next Delta flight.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Well, this is a kick in the nuts. Just used a SWU last week, and fortunately my SWU for this weekend has already cleared.

I, too, wrote a letter to Delta.

This, of all of the most recent Delta changes, has pushed me over the edge. If I can't use SWU certificates (not that they weren't already complicated to use), I have little reason to stay with Delta.

(I do have the ability to purchase paid BE when traveling internationally, so, I think this is a no brainer.)
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Very balanced and well-worded response. With very little change, I think this could be a good template for others to respond.

Originally Posted by lamont2718
To Whom It May Concern,

Yours sincerely,
lamont2718

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.