Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
my bag was lost on a MOB-ATL-PHF flight home at the beginning of March. I complained using the feedback form on the website, not because it was lost, but because they screwed up the delivery process forcing me to drive back to the airport to pick up my bag. I didn't request any compensation, just said that I have grown to expect more from Delta. Took them over a month to respond, but I got a $100 voucher in the mail last week! Needless to say that restored my confidence quickly!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Not to cast humor on your loss, but maybe your stuff ended up here.

I used to shop there every now and then, but they built a nicer store and raised the prices, what can you do.....

DD
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Frodosan
From the Contract of Carriage (Domestic):

3. Damage From Protruding Parts
Delta shall not be liable for loss or damage to articles due to protruding parts...

DD
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL, NW, UA, YX
Wow, when we flew SLC-MSP-MKE (Jan 05) with the first flight on Skywest and second on NW, the bag simply didn't didn't make it onto the SLC-MSP flight and NW gave us their standard amenity packet for 1000 miles and a $25 coupon for any fare, plus the bag arrived at our front door the next day (it was rerouted to CVG and then MKE by DL). I knew exactly what happened back in SLC...when you check in with DL at a busy time, all the bags to be screened get dropped at one point into a huge pile with no way to take them in any order...since this was a small duffle it likely just made its way to the bottom, and spent some time there! I couldn't have been happier when the carousel stopped turning and my bag wasn't around! Best part was it only had dirty clothes and other stuff like that...I usually take a folding duffle along in my luggage on the way out and then check it on the way home if I've got my allowance left, and of course pray that it is lost. Sadly when I flew US Air, they didn't give us anything, and they were the ones who actually lost it (and it was real luggage), but it made it's way to us in 2 days (spent 6 hours on the porch in the rain though, in plain view to anyone!).
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by skyguiles
I want to request at least 25,000 in miles. Does that seem realistic?
No.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:11 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Frodosan
From the Contract of Carriage (Domestic):
Rule 125 EXCESS VALUE CHARGES FOR BAGGAGE
A) EXCESS VALUE CHARGES
1) Under the Warsaw Convention a passenger may declare a value for baggage in excess of USD
20.00/CAD 28.00 or its equivalent per kilogram in the case of checked baggage and USD
400.00/CAD 560.00 or its equivalent per passenger in the case of unchecked baggage or other
property.
2) Under the Montreal Convention a passenger may declare a value in excess of 1,000 SDR per
passenger for checked or unchecked baggage.
3) A passenger may, when checking in for a flight and presenting property for transportation, pay
an additional charge as indicated below and declare a value higher than the maximum amounts
specified in paragraph (A)(1) or (A) (2) above, up to the maximum specified in (B) below, in
which event DL's liability shall not exceed such higher declared value. When a passenger holds
connecting space from DL to another carrier and declares excess valuation, baggage will be
checked to the final DL destination only.
CHARGE TOTAL AMOUNT OF DECLARED VALUE
USD 10.00/CAD 14.00 Declared value up to and including USD 1000.00/CAD 1400
USD 20.00/CAD 28.00 Declared value up to and including USD 2000.00/CAD 2800
USD 30.00/CAD 42.00 Declared value up to and including USD 3000.00/CAD 4200
USD 40.00/CAD 56.00 Declared value up to and including USD 4000.00/CAD 5600
USD 50.00/CAD 70.00 Declared value up to and including USD 5000.00/CAD 7000
B) VALUATION LIMIT OF BAGGAGE- The declared value for personal property, including baggage, shall
not exceed USD 5000.00/CAD 7000.00.
C) COLLECTION OF EXCESS VALUE CHARGES- Excess value charges will be payable at the point of
origin for the entire journey to final destination; provided, that, if at a stopover en route, a passenger
declares a higher excess value than that originally declared, additional value charges for the increased
value from the stopover at which the higher excess value was declared to final destination will be
payable.
EXCEPTION: Excess value charges will be payable only to the point to which the baggage is checked
or to the point of transfer to another carrier if such point precedes the point to which
baggage is checked.
D) EXCESS VALUE CHARGES ON REROUTINGS OR CANCELLATIONS- When a passenger is rerouted
or his carriage canceled, the provisions which govern with respect to the payment of additional fares or
the refunding of fares shall likewise govern the payment of excess value charges. No refund of value
charges will be made when a portion of the carriage has been completed.
Frodosan You haven't said what your point was, but it sounds like you are agreeing with me and tha for int'l the amount has not changed, 20US$/kg.... stupid ridiculously small amount that should have been tied to inflation about 40 years ago, but what can you do?
Old May 2, 2006, 6:59 am

Contacts for Lost Baggage on DL?

Due to "weather" - DL re-routed us (instead of JFK to SVO, we went JFL to VCE to SVO, with a switch to Aeroflot on the VCE to SVO leg). 2 of our bags went JFK to MXP to SVO... and only one arrived in SVO so far (1 week ago).

Delta says because we switched to Aeroflot (at Delta's request) - our lost luggage is not Delta's problem. Spoke with DL Baggage customer service and was hung up on (I was nice - firm and direct but no insults or inappropriate language).

Any suggestions on who to contact for help? I really don't want to do a claim - I just want my things back - but can't seem to get any one from DL to care enough to go check a lost luggage room in Milan for a bag (I've personally search the one in Moscow to no avail )
Old May 2, 2006, 9:09 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdgrier
Any suggestions on who to contact for help? I really don't want to do a claim - I just want my things back - but can't seem to get any one from DL to care enough to go check a lost luggage room in Milan for a bag (I've personally search the one in Moscow to no avail )
DL is somewhat correct. You had to file a written claim with the last carrier (in this case SU). SU would then contact all other carriers in the chain to trace your baggage...
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Lost Baggage On A Award Ticket What Compensation Do I Get

my family and i we are on maui on a tickets paid with miles and my wife baggage never made it get lost somewhere on the way my questio its what kind of compensation do i get beside the 25 dlls i get per day if they dont find it

here it is the situation it was my wife baggage and it was checked as mi daugther all of my famili tickets where paid with miles but mine i paid $$ with amex cc and i do have baggage insurance premium for a charge everytime i paid for a ticket with my card can i just claim my wife baggage with my paid ticket its been 3 days and they can't located nowhere any advice will be apreciated

Last edited by chavjs; Jul 4, 2006 at 10:15 am Reason: corrections
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by chavjs
my family and i we are on maui on a tickets paid with miles and my wife baggage never made it get lost somewhere on the way my questio its what kind of compensation do i get beside the 25 dlls i get per day if they dont find it

here it is the situation it was my wife baggage and it was checked as mi daugther all of my famili tickets where paid with miles but mine i paid $$ with amex cc and i do have baggage insurance premium for a charge everytime i paid for a ticket with my card can i just claim my wife baggage with my paid ticket its been 3 days and they can't located nowhere any advice will be apreciated
Same like for tickets paid with cash or CC.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Also, be sure to check the time limitations to make a claim.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:16 pm

I think he's also asking if he can get compensation under the credit card baggage coverage. My guess is no.

You're still covered by Delta's policy, though.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by alanh
I think he's also asking if he can get compensation under the credit card baggage coverage. My guess is no.

You're still covered by Delta's policy, though.
I had a similar situation recently. I have additional baggage coverage thru AmEx. I assumed (incorrectly) that it also covered award tickets. It did not. Fortunately, the bag showed up...5 days later, but better than nothing.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Unhappy Bad travel day...

Was scheduled to fly ATL-CVG-PVD yesterday, ended up being routed ATL-JFK-PVD. My single checked bag didn't make all the rescheduled flights (changed airframes in ATL 3 times!), and arrived today. Noticed it was opened, checked contents and found 1/3 of the stuff inside had been stolen. They basically left me the books and my prescription meds...
I can almost bet the theft occured at JFK given their history of theft. (I have been a skymiles medallion member for years now and never have had a problem in ATL, and PVD usually seems squared away...)
I had DL file opened, contacted the FBI office (since it was interstate travel, per DL website advice), and then the RI Airport Police. Is there anywhere else I should report this to?

BTW, looks like DL is not going to do anything other than send me a denied claim form since the bulk of the items were "electronic" in nature (ie. small DVD player, carrying case, DVD, etc.)
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta
Lost Baggage and never any comp.

I am a gold med. and fly about every week in the SE of the US. I have had delta loose my bags probably about 4 times this year where they had to be delivered to my house or hotel. The thing is I have only had to check bags about 6 times this year so Delta's % is terrible when it comes to my bags arriving with me. I always ask for some type if compensation, but Delta always tells me they don't compensate for delayed baggage. I'm totally pissed about this. What can i do the next time to at least get some miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.