Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hhonors Diamond VIP, Emerald Executive Elite
I travel most every week with a Pelican (hard sided) case which contains 3 computer projectors, a high quality digital splitter, router and a bunch of power/display cords and adapters. All together, approximately $8000 worth of equipment.

Last week I had a direct flight from DTW (home) to SYR. When I arrived in SYR, my personal suitcase had arrived, but not my pelican case. After filing a lost luggage claim, I was told I'd be contacted.

The next afternoon when I arrived back at the airport, I asked the agent to check on my claim. She checked and found that the bag had "just arrived". She took me to the luggage office to claim the case. Upon opening the case, I found only 1 of my 3 projectors, no power cables, and a couple adapters missing.

I filled out the appropriate paperwork and am awaiting a response from NWA.

Anyone else experience anything similiar?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/CRC, UA*G, HH Diamond, AFirst
Originally Posted by RCC
can I ask what costs $100 grand.

I am coming out of left field on this one, but say diamonds? Heck I would carry that by myself
It's all very hush hush. International Man of Mystery stuff.

The clouds smiled on me though and sent a $3k check that arrived that day AFTER I posted.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/CRC, UA*G, HH Diamond, AFirst
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dkoester77
I travel most every week with a Pelican (hard sided) case which contains 3 computer projectors, a high quality digital splitter, router and a bunch of power/display cords and adapters. All together, approximately $8000 worth of equipment.

Last week I had a direct flight from DTW (home) to SYR. When I arrived in SYR, my personal suitcase had arrived, but not my pelican case. After filing a lost luggage claim, I was told I'd be contacted.

The next afternoon when I arrived back at the airport, I asked the agent to check on my claim. She checked and found that the bag had "just arrived". She took me to the luggage office to claim the case. Upon opening the case, I found only 1 of my 3 projectors, no power cables, and a couple adapters missing.

I filled out the appropriate paperwork and am awaiting a response from NWA.

Anyone else experience anything similiar?
Holy ####. MY kit was lost on a flight ending at SYR as well.

Sounds like we have theives in SYR.

I use a Storm case- actually really like it. Used to put a TSA lock on it, until TSA hacked it off (instead of using their fangle dangle key) and never replaced it.

(Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't be bothered to quote two people at once. )
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA
deayed/lost luggage compensation?

Hello folks,
A friend and I flew SAN-CVG-PHL on Saturday and even though our 1 hour connection turned into a more than two hour connection with delays, our bags got stuck in CVG and two out of three were just delivered to me at 12:30am Monday with number three now coming in the morning. I was on DL mainline out of SAN and Comair out of CVG. Has anyone ever gotten compensated with miles or anything else for baggage issues like this? Please don't flame me about this. I've never had this happen before and just want to know what if anything Delta might offer. I'm very glad to be getting my things back in a somewhat timely matter, it just created some tense moments for me as I had a firearm checked in one of those bags and was worried about not getting it back or having it get into someone else's hands, not to mention all the clothing in the bags which I just bought after shrinking a great deal from weight loss surgery. I should add that I'm not an elite, just a general skymiles member. Thanks for any info. JOE

Last edited by PHLJJS; Mar 9, 2008 at 11:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG
We just explicitly asked for (and received) $100 transportation vouchers because our luggage arrived 2 days late on a trip to Berlin. DL cancelled our first flight and rerouted us but not our luggage on AF.

We are both PM and GM.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton (Gold), Starwood
We're awaiting a lost lacrosse luggage bag (new of course) from Delta. Do they pay you upfront or must you produce receipts after you replace everything? What a royal pain this will be if they can't find it!!!!!! The bag had my son's high school lacrosse clothing and equipment in it - as well as all vacation "stuff".
Old Aug 22, 2008, 7:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Any Experience with AF Baggage Delay Compensation?

Recently flew DL via CDG onward to Europe (I am holding back details lest a lurker figures out who I am). We checked six bags 2.5 hours prior to departure which were all tagged with Priority tags. Flight departed relatively on time, landed in CDG an hour early. We had a four hour layover in CDG and left there on time arriving at our final destination on time. Only problem, not one bag made it to our final destination. They all apparently made it to CDG on our DL operated flight, but amazingly, not one was passed on with all that time between flights.

The next morning, working with a very helpful person (contract company for AF at final destination), she located three pieces and as we were flying onward the that day for a family reunion elsewhere (charter flight) arranged for them to arrive at the reunion location shortly after us (3 bags 36 hours late - 3 still MIA). When returning from the reunion a week later, we received two of the MIAs (2 bags 6 days late). We were united with the final bag 13 days late.

We are now home and all six bags connected and made it back to the US just fine. That said, we had extreme unintended expenses for clothing and toiletries (we are a party of five on coach award tickets). Delta has punted this over to AF as they were the last ones to touch our delayed luggage.

What can we expect as reasonable compensation? Anyone have experience with EU delayed baggage directives and compensation? I will crosspost in the AF Forum too. As I am starting the claims process any and all help is appreciated.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by avflyer
Recently flew DL via CDG onward to Europe (I am holding back details lest a lurker figures out who I am). We checked six bags 2.5 hours prior to departure which were all tagged with Priority tags. Flight departed relatively on time, landed in CDG an hour early. We had a four hour layover in CDG and left there on time arriving at our final destination on time. Only problem, not one bag made it to our final destination. They all apparently made it to CDG on our DL operated flight, but amazingly, not one was passed on with all that time between flights.

The next morning, working with a very helpful person (contract company for AF at final destination), she located three pieces and as we were flying onward the that day for a family reunion elsewhere (charter flight) arranged for them to arrive at the reunion location shortly after us (3 bags 36 hours late - 3 still MIA). When returning from the reunion a week later, we received two of the MIAs (2 bags 6 days late). We were united with the final bag 13 days late.

We are now home and all six bags connected and made it back to the US just fine. That said, we had extreme unintended expenses for clothing and toiletries (we are a party of five on coach award tickets). Delta has punted this over to AF as they were the last ones to touch our delayed luggage.

What can we expect as reasonable compensation? Anyone have experience with EU delayed baggage directives and compensation? I will crosspost in the AF Forum too. As I am starting the claims process any and all help is appreciated.
I believe they will reimburse up to 100 Euro per person for eligible expenses (with receipts of course). Like underwear, toiletries, any clothes that you purchased. They don't just give out a flat amount.

They might give more for such a long delay, not sure. Check out the AF website for the baggage page. That will provide you with a link to a reimbursement form, which you will mail to somewhere in Florida and receive a check about a month later.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:12 pm

I seem to remember that the delivering carrier is responsible for the baggage, though perhaps not with international flights.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL GM
I know, I know.....

It's just that I have had 7 consectutive years (10-20 flights/yr) without a miscue. I got cocky.

Flying today SAN-ATL-BWI. Conection in ATL no problem, on time, 90 mins layover. Checked 3 bags in SAN for a wedding (and continuing on to Maui Sunday for vacay hence the 3 bags)...one with suit/dress for wedding in BWI Saturday evening. One for me, other for Mrs. LLS138. Weird that 1/3 bags show (the important suit/dress bag for wedding)...but shoes and makeup/toiletries in other bags. Other two ended up in MCO as final destination labeled BWI.

Have rehearsal dinner tonight which we couldn't go to due to lack of proper clothing...

Delta in BWI and phone agents (bangalore + american supervisor) apologetic but unhelpful...."sir, we have 24 hours to deliver, after that you have a $25/day allowance."

We were inconvenienced due to their misrouting/mistake. Is it worth writing asking for anything or should I have expected nothing from the get go.....???

(honestly, wouldn't be mad at all if returning home, but spent $800 just to come to BWI for this wedding and had to reschedule HI vacay to accomodate hence my anti-DL sentiments now)

Last edited by lls138; Sep 12, 2008 at 10:07 pm Reason: ()
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL GM
Bags made it 21 hours later. Tagged with "expedite. ATL misloaded to MCO flight"

"expedite" means waiting in MCO while 3 MCO-ATL departed and then sitting in ATL while 2 ATL-BWI flights depart before being loaded on the third.

DL should pay for my future need for hearing aids due to an unhappy, dirty/smelly (though I smell worse), traveling stressed wife perparing for a wedding with nothing until 1.5 hours before the wedding screeching unpleasantries for the last 21 hours!

that would be fair. Indian call desk, worse than pathetic (IMHO). More useless than a pinky toe.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Danger Man
Then at 5:30 I call and I am told that they are putting them on the flight to CSG at 11pm tonight. Now I am mad. When will I get my luggage? I don't live anywhere near CSG. Will the baggage come after 12 hours from 11pm tonight?
Maybe im missing something but the only commercial flights out of CSG are to/from ATL. So I would think if you bag were coming to CSG on delta metal, it would have to come through ATL so I dont understand why it couldnt be left there for you
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
A little off topic, but appropriate for this thread. Bags got misconnected for me last week; got a call from the baggage services agent the next day saying that the bags would be delivered to me later that evening. Since I live 10 minutes from the airport and had to be over that way anyway, I told him I'd come to the airport and grab the bag. Get to the airport, the agent and I get to talking and he said that since I came and grabbed them (cost a mere $3 to park for the 20 minutes), that instead of paying for the courier, I deserved some compensation, so out came a $50 DD voucher. I'll go to the airport every single time to pick up my bags instead of getting a courier if it means compensation like that.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 2:33 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95-3/20.2.011; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

so, here I'm sitting in lovely SVO. My bag didn't make it and they have no clue where it is and no clue where it's at. I don't even have a clean shirt... I filed a lost bag report but, what line of immediate compensation can I get from Delta? What should I ask for? I'm a gm and flew in C, if that matters. I'll be here for the next two or so hours waiting on someone...
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Are you asking if you are entitled to receive a cash payment at the airport to go and buy clothes?

I believe the Int'l Liability Limit is USD $640.00, but I would imagine you have to file a claim and give them time to try to locate the bag, before a payout would be made.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.