Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
IMO - Unacceptable. DL lost a set of golf clubs on me a few years back. As they were packed in a golf travel bag, I had a bunch of other things in there (umbrella, rain poncho, shoes, changes of socks, etc) in addition to normal golf stuff (dozen balls, tees, etc). Got compensated for every receipt that I submitted. And they paid for me to rent clubs. This happened pre-bankruptcy though.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
What kind of stuff worth $1700 can you have in luggage?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by Palal
...let alone $100k !
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
[OBNOXIOUS RANT ON]
Start with a $1,200 suit from Hugo Boss. Add in 3 high quality dress shirts (Thomas Pink, Charles Thyrwhitt, etc) at $150/each. Add to that one pair of Bruno Magli dress shoes ($375). That adds up to $2,025 and I haven't included undergarments.

Just because I may spend more money on clothing that someone that buys their suits from Sears and their shoes from Walmart is irrelevant when my luggage is lost by the airline. They should pay for what was lost, not discount what I may have paid because they don't feel like paying the price.
[/OBNOXIOUS RANT OFF]

To the OP: Did Delta provide a reason to your friend for the discount?

Last edited by griffinj; Jan 29, 2008 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:51 pm

MOST people lie about the contents in their suitcase when its lost. Always trying to get more than what its worth.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by griffinj
Got compensated for every receipt that I submitted.
so what exactly do they do if you don't have receipts? i'm usually traveling for fun, so my luggage is packed with casual clothes...some of which i've had for a while. do you just guestimate the value of whats inside, and then hope that they give you something close? luckily i've only had my bags temporarily lost...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:07 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
There is a max of $3,000 (IIRC) on domestic flights, unless you declare it up front and pay for the extra coverage (think FedEx). There are exclusions too and I am sure tons more legal garbage on the CoC than I am putting in here....
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Try getting comp'd for surfboards

Any compensation is a plus in my book. Flying to Hawaii each year with surfboards bubblewrapped and in a padded surf bag, my brother and I have had three boards broken in half out of about two dozen trips. You pay extra for odd sized baggage on top of it! Rarely do they have us sign a "no liability tag" and it still takes two or three letters before a broken surfboard gets us around $300-$400 in vouchers. Finally, we wised and and just keep boards at home and in the islands. I see why folks will Fedex things to their destination!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by agadasch
The luggage of a friend of mine was lost mid of october. She claimed USD 1700 in receipts but was given only USD 1450, and that after 2 month.

Is this acceptable?
Comparable to your experiences?

They will depreciate some things as well. If she had perfume or toiletries, they assume they are used and will not refund the whole $$ amount.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Make sure things such as surfboards, golf clubs, and etc. are in a hard sided case therefore if something breaks DL is not liable if is in a soft-sided case.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:42 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agadasch
The luggage of a friend of mine was lost mid of october. She claimed USD 1700 in receipts but was given only USD 1450, and that after 2 month.
What was the routing on her ticket?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Make sure things such as surfboards, golf clubs, and etc. are in a hard sided case therefore if something breaks DL is not liable if is in a soft-sided case.
Wonders how his 12' long board will go in a hard case...
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by BingoLoco
Wonders how his 12' long board will go in a hard case...
Easy, the hard case is 13' long, 1' thick and 4' wide. Oh, and you'll need to pay for the extra weight of the case.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:13 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by LetItRide
lost over $100k, 3 months ago, and no love from anyone
can I ask what costs $100 grand.

I am coming out of left field on this one, but say diamonds? Heck I would carry that by myself
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:24 pm

Lost luggage compensation question

I looked in the FAQs and didn't see an answer for this.

On Jan. 12 I took a group of 20 students from the US to Peru flying on Delta from GSP to Atlanta and to Lima. My one checked bag, with my name and contact information securely attached in two places plus the baggage tag, did not arrive in Lima. I checked my bag at GSP 2 hours before the flight. Delta (I do not have elite status) assurred me the bag was still in Atlanta and would arrive 24 hours later. Although the travel agency and my husband back in the US made frequent inquiries, my bag never arrived. And it still has not been found. My travel agent sent someone to the airport in Lima repeatedly to get the bag, I talked to Delta when I first arrived in Lima and again before I left Lima to return to the US. I talked to Delta again in Atlanta. I filed the paper work in Lima to find my bag. Delta initially told us different stories but in the last two conversations at the airport, the agents assurred me Delta would pay for everything and the incident was unfortunate. The contents of my bag are valued at about $800 and I spent about $100 to buy a few things to survive in Peru. I am preparing to file for reimbursement of all of my expenses. What do I do to be paid fully?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.