Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:50 pm

I'm embarassed to say I do not know what position Gerald Grinstein holds. Could you enloghten me. Thank you.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travel gal
I'm embarassed to say I do not know what position Gerald Grinstein holds. Could you enloghten me. Thank you.
Mr. Big....err CEO.

http://www.delta.com/inside/investor...tein/index.jsp
Old Aug 30, 2004, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travel gal
that all I was given was a small computer printout with how much they would pay per day for rented clothing. I still have it.
travel gal, do you still have this printout? If so, I would include a copy of it with any bills for clothing purchases that you have incurred in your letter to the big cheese. If it doesn't say so on the bills, also list what each purchase is for (ie. underwear, socks, ski jacket, etc.). BTW, I am curious how much was allowed on a daily basis from DL? You should ask if they had lost your luggage on a trip to another (non-ski) location, would they expect you to rent clothes there also? Renting clothes simply isn't a reasonable request to make of anyone.

I would also carefully list all of the steps that were taken and the type of responses you received from the various people at DL. If you have any names, list them also with their respective departments. I would not include any legal threats but just state the obvious (that everyone knows that ski equipment, not ski clothes are commonly rented), ask him to apply some common sense to your case, and finally request fair and reasonable compensation for this DL screwup. You will hear from one of his assistants and hopefully this will work out to your satisfaction.

Good luck, and please let us know the outcome by posting back on this thread.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:54 pm

Yes, I still have the printout. I couldn't believe I saved it. The original claim had everything purchased in detail and I even itemized the clothing per person. I have written the letter several times and I always am going back to fine tune it. I just cannot believe how unreasonable they are. On top of all that, one of my children is handicapped, and he's very hard to fit. I had a hard time finding something to fit him to buy let alone rent. PS, he's an awesome skier.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just landed in BOM without my bags. I was in DL biz from CDG. Delta told me that for the first 24 hours there is no compensation and after that it is $25 per day. I don't think I'll be flying Delta again. In fact it was an accident that I was flying them this time. AF changed the time of my CDG-BOM flight without telling me. So I had no choice but to walk over to the DL counter and buy a one-way ticket as that was the only way to make it to my business meetings on time. I'm too tired to scream at anyone now, but tomorrow...
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Ditto here.

I would like to work for a company that does...tha'ts a company with deep pockets!

Originally Posted by BamaVol
No company I've worked for would buy me clothes because the airline temporarily lost my luggage, not even fresh boxers and socks. The rationale is, eventually you'll buy clothes for yourself. You just bought them sooner than expected. The same goes for shampoo, toothpaste and other toiletries.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:53 pm

I always check my bags and just have my rolling office bag with me. If I have to rush between gates due to a delayed flight, it's easier to do so with one bag. Also, I'm usually carrying a bag of fast food/drink with me between gate, which is easier to lug with one bag.

I guess I don't like being encumbered at the airport with bags I don't need to carry with me (if I can check them).

To each his own, I guess.

Originally Posted by Diver90
I avoid this problem by NEVER checking my bags. I've gotten luggage selection and packing down to an art form that will carry me for up to 10 days of Int'l travel. However, some laundry of dress shirts and pressing of suites while gone is included in this statement.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:10 pm

Clothes are considered a personal expense in that you can use them for both pleasure or business. I don't know how it works for a job that requires a uniform-I guess that could be expensed.

Suits would not be considered a uniform.

The company I consult for will pay for dry cleaning related expenses while on the job.

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
That is unfortunate. Heaven forbid a company actually take care of its people.

I am not saying people should try to expense a new Armani suit, but spending money on a pair slacks, a pair of shoes, and a shirt would not *kill* a company; especially at the rates they bill their people at.

I know we are paying over $150 / hour for a few SAP people. Do you think the SAP on-site consultant is receiving that much? Be lucky if received $50 - $70. The rest is for the consulting company.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Taking care of their employees? Sometimes this gets out of hand. I swear some people think the company runs the Federal Mint out of the basement. They are in business to sell something and make a profit. Along the way they will give you some of that money in return for whatever they ask you to do.

Gee, if you car breaks down on the way to work, should the company "take care of you". Or your mother feels bad today, should you stay home while the company PAYS YOU?

geez
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:27 pm

Sufficient Compensation for Baggage Fiasco?

I received a $100 travel voucher and an apology after I penned a detailed letter to Delta complaining that my luggage was delayed 3 times over the course of 3 weeks during the Christmas holidaze. In y'alls opinion, is this sufficient compensation?

I asked for an explanation for what happened, but they did not provide one. Also, keep in mind that not only did they misplace my luggage thrice in three weeks, but also on one of these occasions, my clothes were damaged (stained) and on another occasion, my luggage was left out in the rain in Atlanta and was returned to me soaking wet the next day. I also believe that in two of these three instances, there was a complete failure to load my luggage onto the originating flight.

Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I think there are 2 issues here. DL should compensate you for the damage to your clothing. What was that worth? I know there is a limit to their liability (based on weight?). You might have to look into exactly how to make a claim.

The second issue is one of inconvenience. It looks like the $DL100 is meant to compensate for that and I would say it was fair. Will you fly DL again? If not, I suppose it was insufficient but it won't cost DL anything in that case.

As far as giving you an explanation - I don't think you're entitled to that even if they know the reason(s). An apology, yes. An explanation, what's the point?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:44 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Try including in your letter the amount of compensation you want.

You would itemize what it cost you because of their mistakes, and it is OK to add a little more for the inconvenience.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

You will not make an impact if you fail to use the vouchers, etc.the airlines gives you to console you.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BamaVol
What was that worth? I know there is a limit to their liability (based on weight?). You might have to look into exactly how to make a claim.

And make sure that when you claim, you count the weight AFTER it sat in the rain all night and got soaked. Not the dry weight....
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Do you want "satisfaction" (as indicated by your desire for an "explanation") or do you want fair compensation? In all fairness to DL or any business, it is hard to make amends if the aggrieved isn't clear about what would "make thing right".

Whenever you have a problem with any business, ascertain what it would take to "make things right" in your mind and what is "reasonable" to expect the business to do. Articulate what you think is just and why you think it is so in a calm and polite manner and you will be surprised at the results that you can get.

But if, in a situation such as this, you want "somebody's hide", you are certain to be disappointed.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:20 pm

Air France lost my bag - who to contact about compensation?

Booked my flight on Delta but was codeshared on Air France from ORD to CDG and to KDG. Flew in to Ukraine Saturday the 10th. As of today, the 14th my bag still hasn't shown up.

They finally have located it and i can go pick it up tonight.

whom do I contact to file a complaint / get reimbursed for clothes purchased?

I can't find a phone number anywhere on Air France site.

thanks a lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.