Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by cardigans1
Booked my flight on Delta but was codeshared on Air France from ORD to CDG and to KDG. Flew in to Ukraine Saturday the 10th. As of today, the 14th my bag still hasn't shown up.

They finally have located it and i can go pick it up tonight.

whom do I contact to file a complaint / get reimbursed for clothes purchased?

I can't find a phone number anywhere on Air France site.

thanks a lot
Enquire about your bag when you pick it up, presumably at airport. Why are they not delivering bag to your hotel? I believe the only recompense you will receive for clothes if $50.00 PP for "essentials." I assume you were given an overnight/amenity kit. Sorry you have to deal with this in the Ukraine. OTOH, probably not worse than dealing with this issue in Paris. Anyway, look for an AF supervisory Ground Personnell Costumer Service, etc. and see what you can do .
Good luck. The best news of all is you might receiving your clothes tonight!! Sure beats a flat-chested woman looking for bras in Taiwan
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:09 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
As far as a contact number for AF, I googled this number:

1-800-237-2747

See if that works.

Last edited by aljacket; Jul 14, 2005 at 5:13 am
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:31 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
mmm ... Unless I am mistaken, the responsibility for delivering the baggage to you lies with the last operating carrier, or his handling agent. Does AF fly or code-share to KDG ?

Anyway, in the case of a ticket sold by AF, coverage of expenses should be handled by AF
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:00 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by cardigans1
Booked my flight on Delta but was codeshared on Air France from ORD to CDG and to KDG. Flew in to Ukraine Saturday the 10th. As of today, the 14th my bag still hasn't shown up.

They finally have located it and i can go pick it up tonight.

whom do I contact to file a complaint / get reimbursed for clothes purchased?

I can't find a phone number anywhere on Air France site.

thanks a lot
I flew Air France from ATL - CDG - BKK in Business Class May 2003. An AF rep greeted me in BKK and walked with me to baggage claim while explaining that my baggage was delayed. She asked me to describe the bag, then she gave me 6000 BAHT ($150 US) to buy clothes. The bag was delivered to my hotel room the next day. I'm not sure if that service was because of Air France, or because I was in Business Class. You know, maybe it was because I'm American and the French love Americans...
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by hellogator
I flew Air France from ATL - CDG - BKK in Business Class May 2003. An AF rep greeted me in BKK and walked with me to baggage claim while explaining that my baggage was delayed. She asked me to describe the bag, then she gave me 6000 BAHT ($150 US) to buy clothes. The bag was delivered to my hotel room the next day. I'm not sure if that service was because of Air France, or because I was in Business Class. You know, maybe it was because I'm American and the French love Americans...
I had the same thing happen to me on a very cheap flight LHR-CDG-SIN in January. I was given 200 S$ in cash upon arrival in SIN. The bags were delivered the next day. Combined with the 250 euros I received from my AF/AMEX card account for my expenses, it turned out to be a very cheap flight
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Luggage Delay Compensation?

Does DL offer some type of compensation (miles) for delayed luggage. I flew into MSY Friday evening and my luggage did not. I had to fly out this morning and my luggage (2 pieces) still had not been delivered to my home. The baggage claim desk at MSY was not open. I just checked online and received a message that it should be delivered this evening. Lots of good it did me since I am out from home for another week.

Should I email and request some type of compensation?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:12 pm

Actual costs up to $25 per bag per day after 24 hours. If you can figure out how to file a claim, let me know. I had bags delayed 10 days in October. Travel insurance paid for incidentals, I just haven't figured out how to get my pound of flesh from Delta.

Marc
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
Unhappy 3,500 miles as compensation of my lost bag.... Shall I be upset?

Back in October of 2005 I flew roundtrip sea-svo and delta lost one of my bags on the outbound portion of my trip.

It was never found so I filed a property loss form with a total value of all of my lost belongings $2450.00. All receipts where submitted along...

I wrote a cover letter to my claim, explaining what happened, how extremely inconvenient it was to be without my clothes, gifts and work paperwork I needed while on the trip. I wrote how it ruined my trip because I didn't have what I needed on the trip and asked for full reimbursement of my lost belongings ($2450.00 accompanied by receipts) plus for a roundtrip voucher for the same destination.

Today I get settlement letter from delta, saying that "liability is calculated in Special Drawing Rights (SDR) at the rate of $1000 per each ticketed passenger. Our check, for $1445.00, representing the today's rate of conversion will be mailed in 10 business days".

"We deeply regret the trouble you had... and are crediting your account with 3,500 miles".
Signed "Rajendra N. Mungol, Claims Manager, Corporate Customer Care"

$1455+3500 miles was all they were able to pull off?

Well, I don't know what to think... Honestly, I thought, I'd be getting full reimbursement. Howver I understand if some of my items didn't qualify...

But 3500 miles looks almost like a slap in the face... If they only knew how much did that trip end up costing me with all the expenses and headaches I had to go through...

So my question is, what can I do at this point? If they will not reimburse more money for the lost stuff, do I have a chance of getting my roundtrip voucher, or at least not 3500 but more miles?

Any suggestions whom I can contact that I am dissatisfied with the resolution? I'd appreciate any suggestion if you have any. Or maybe you were in a similar situation and your case got handled differently...

Maybe you have a phone number or a person in corporate customer care you would advise to contact...

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your help. I am still flying Delta, but, man, this really frustrates me the way the handled my case.

Mike
Silver Medallion

Last edited by ymsbel; Jan 26, 2006 at 7:37 pm
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
That's why I try never to pack items of value in checked-in luggage!

That's the full legal amount of liability of any piece of lugagge on most major airlines. Some are even valued less!

Be glad with the compensation.. but yah.. a little more miles would have helped!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I believe they only have to pay so much per Kilogram of weight. If you look at the ticket jacket it usually spells it out. They will also depreciate items, and I'd say you're lucky you got what you did. Not to excuse it, but I never check in valuable stuff, and always bring the important things ON the plane.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:35 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
That's why I try never to pack items of value in checked-in luggage!

That's the full legal amount of liability of any piece of lugagge on most major airlines. Some are even valued less!

Be glad with the compensation.. but yah.. a little more miles would have helped!

What do you think would be a fare amount of miles to ask for? 10K? 20k?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:03 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by [email protected]
As stated above, their monetary liability is limited by the contract of carriage (and yes, I believe it's by weight). That's why companies like AmEx are always hawking "baggage insurance". Personally, I'd contact your homeowners insurance company and see if you can file a claim for the excess with them.

As to your question about miles: Technically, Delta doesn't "owe" you any miles. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort and time to try to push for more miles.

As an earlier poster noted, try never to pack anything of great value, or extremely important to your trip, in your checked baggage. Whenever I fly overseas, I carry a laptop bag, stuffed with all the work-related papers I need, and a duffle bag with appropriate changes of clothes, etc. with me on the airplane. It's more stuff to schlep around through the airport, but it's cheap insurance.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by [email protected]
BINGO! This is the heart of the issue. The OP did not know or did not tell DL what he/she thought would be an appropriate remedy to the problem. If you don't tell the waitress what you want for dinner, instead leaving it to her discretion to make you happy, what are the odds that the waitress will bring what you desire?

Saying what you want won't guarantee that you will get it. Not saying what you want will guarantee that you won't.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:43 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Jul 30, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.