Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Delta_Gamer
I am a gold med. and fly about every week in the SE of the US. I have had delta loose my bags probably about 4 times this year where they had to be delivered to my house or hotel. The thing is I have only had to check bags about 6 times this year so Delta's % is terrible when it comes to my bags arriving with me. I always ask for some type if compensation, but Delta always tells me they don't compensate for delayed baggage. I'm totally pissed about this. What can i do the next time to at least get some miles?
Welcome to FT, Delta_Gamer. I've never gotten compensation for delayed baggage, but then I've never asked. I would focus on minimizing circumstances that lead to delayed bags, instead. I no longer book short connections or interline transfers. That seems to have helped. Fortunately, of my 4 delayed bags, 3 were on the return home.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I agree with BamaVol. I wouldn't focus on getting anything from DL but rather minimizing the risks that your bag will be delayed. As mentioned, that means avoiding tight connections when possible, using carry-on only when possible, and probably most importantly, avoiding CDG whenever you can. If it is any consolation, your delayed bag is probably costing DL more than it costs you. If they could universally solve the problem, they would.

FYI, AmEx offers a variety of insurance plans for delayed and/or lost baggage that complement any other insurnace that you may have. When you inquire, they will tell you that there is only one plan. You have to push them to get them to give you the entire array of options to choose from. There are plans that charge you a set fee per ticket and plans that charge a fee per month regardless of how much travel is involved. I have had to make two claims (both after connections at CDG - maybe I need to take my own advice above) and AmEx paid exactly what they should have. In both cases, the baggage was just delayed, but the insurance let me buy new clothes for a couple of days until my bag caught up with me. The total I have paid in premiums far exceeds the total AmEx has paid in claims to me.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:16 pm

Delayed Baggage what compensation can I get?

My baggage was delayed from LAS to ATL yesterday. I did not get upset as mistakes do happen. I was right at the 45 minute cutoff for check in, so maybe that caused the problem. Any way arrived into ATL at midnight and no baggage. Went to the bag rep and asked what was going on. They will be on the 5 am flight in the morning and will be out to you around noon. No problem, I can wait till then. No toiletries, no suit, no clothes, but I can wait. Around noon I call to find out where they are and she said they would be delivered within 12 hours of arrival, now we are talking 5pm. Call back later and they say they are waiting on the courier and that the courier will call me. Indian call center is VERY rude and un-helpful. Then at 5:30 I call and I am told that they are putting them on the flight to CSG at 11pm tonight. Now I am mad. When will I get my luggage? I don't live anywhere near CSG. Will the baggage come after 12 hours from 11pm tonight? Will I get it tonight or in the morning? I am so mad now! This is ridiculous. If they didn't use incompetent rude indian call centers, I might not be as mad. But they add fuel to the fire. At this point I want to fire off a letter to Delta, but what would be fair for this incompetance. I would ask for 5 free tickets on the Delta system, but that would be unreasonable. So based on what is reasonable what should I ask for? I am short my suit for church. I attended a business meeting in the same clothes I flew in. I cut my face with a regular razor since I have used electric all my life. And the list goes on and on. What should I do. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:31 pm

Advice: Don't check bags and/or use a suiter for important trips.

A search would have found this thread: Compensation: Luggage and Baggage
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:35 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
If you are not near CSG why are they sending your bag there?

Are you close enough that you could have returned to ATL to [ick you bag up?

No compensation for the first 24 hours. After that you $25.00 per day if you are away from home.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by BFG
If you are not near CSG why are they sending your bag there?

Are you close enough that you could have returned to ATL to [ick you bag up?

No compensation for the first 24 hours. After that you $25.00 per day if you are away from home.
That was one of the questions in my email. Atlanta is about an hour and a half and columbus is right at 2 hours.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I've in the past been able to be comped 50% of the replaced essential clothing. Once on US once on CO. I have to put my clothes down below and usually that includes rain gear such as ski pants and a columbia jacket. Ergo, upon arrival, if my bag isn't there by game time and it's raining, I need to find a quick fix, which was the case. (I know people say not to check (essential) clothing but with a laptop satchel, camera case and suit case, the clothes go bellyside as they are the least expensive to replace due to liability caps)

Both airlines comped me 50% of the cost of a new jacket and pants which was quite gracious, but I assume they understood my situation and knew I wasn't trying to gouge them with a whole new wardrobe. This scenario won't be able to replicate itself on DL until later this year but I'll be heeding your warnings.

EDIT: These both occured away from home and the bags were slated to arrive just after I was to start working.

Last edited by photojojo; Apr 21, 2007 at 8:24 pm
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Gold
Compensation for inconvenience of lost luggage?

I status matched to Gold on DL in December to keep some of my miles that were about it expire. So in January of this year, I checked my luggage in SRQ bound for my return flight to SFO, and it was lost. You know, completely gone. I was pretty annoyed because I have a feeling that it was swiped.

DL wouldn't let me file any paperwork for a while while they continued to search, and then told me taht even though I was Gold, I was not entitled to compensation beyond the cost of my DEPRECIATED luggage. I was, in fact, told by the SLC-based assistant that "Luggage is a courtesy, and as such, we only compensate for passengers when they are not bound for home."

Anyway, I sent several letters up the entire chain until I got to the CEO office. I spoke with Tina Umland--Nice woman, really--but again said that Delta will talk about compensation once I get my depreciated value of my clothes. I called and faxed her, being very gentle but firm that I expected some "apology" compensation-- miles, vouchers, a g-d drink coupon, anything! She never called me back once she considered the case closed.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is Delta normally this nonchalant about their Medallion members? I shouldn't expect something, I know, but I mean, even a gesture is nice and polite!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Doesn't sound like a good experience at all. Delta lost a set of golf clubs on me a few years ago before I had any status. I was on my way from JFK-MCO and my wife's clubs showed up, sadly, mine did not. Three days spent on the phone with the call center didn't help much either. Just pointed me to a form on the website to fill out and fax in with a list and value of the contents of my golf bag (Clubs, shoes, umbrella, windbreaker, balls)

We had done curbside check-in at JFK. My assumption at the time was that the golf clubs never made it beyond the curb. I've never used curbside check-in at JFK since.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by griffinj
We had done curbside check-in at JFK. My assumption at the time was that the golf clubs never made it beyond the curb. I've never used curbside check-in at JFK since.
Maybe you should have tipped the skycap?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch
Maybe you should have tipped the skycap?
I did. Apparently $10/bag isn't enough.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by griffinj
I did. Apparently $10/bag isn't enough.
Wow, I would def be pi**ed.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch
Wow, I would def be pi**ed.
I was. And then a few months went by and Delta bought me a shiny new set of clubs
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA
Lost baggage: Compensation OK

The luggage of a friend of mine was lost mid of october. She claimed USD 1700 in receipts but was given only USD 1450, and that after 2 month.

Is this acceptable?
Comparable to your experiences?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/CRC, UA*G, HH Diamond, AFirst
lost over $100k, 3 months ago, and no love from anyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.