Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Truly amazing that anyone would think the fact that any airline would pay compensation for something like this, what on earth have people come to when they just assume everything in life should carry a price tag
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by danielonn
You could have your friend file in small claims court with the document as proof. The Flight attendant said to keep your bag on the flight so clearly they admitted to the problem and Delta now owes you a new bag or else you can take it further.
I suggest you re-read the OPs post - nowhere is it stated that the cabin attendant asked the OPs friend to leave the bag behind . As for the notion of expecting compensation for something clearly outside the airlines control , it just amazes me what people will try . Sometimes sh*t happens ( or in this case vomit ) the OPs friend should deal with it and move on .
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
You could have your friend file in small claims court with the document as proof. The Flight attendant said to keep your bag on the flight so clearly they admitted to the problem and Delta now owes you a new bag or else you can take it further.
I disagree. The FA might have been just following procedures set down by the FAA or the CDC or whatever health department advises on bio hazards. Telling the pax to leave the bag (which I don't see in the OP) could very possibly have been just a procedure to insure no one risks touching the vomit-soaked item. I don't see how this could be construed as DL taking responsibility for the issue.

The bag needs replacing. IMO there are two possible players that would need to take on this burden: the OP or the girl (or her parents). If a kid hits a baseball through a neighbors window then the parents are responsible for the expense of replacing that window. I just can't see where DL is in any way responsible based on the information given.

Last edited by Evan!; Nov 22, 2009 at 9:04 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EP
Delta baggage in Jacksonville gave him $50. They probably felt sorry for him- he still had the lingering smell of vomit.

I don't think either of us felt entitled to compensation. Nonetheless... I think its always good to ask when something unfortunate like this happens. In the compensation threads for each airline I've noticed compensation for far more ridiculous reasons.

Giving the girl a hard time was not an option. It just wasn't worth it. She was in bad shape.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM
Lucky that they got something, I would pay for a good dry cleaning once, or twice and maybe a trip to the laundromat. I'm extremely attached to my backpack and I would do all in my power to save it before throwing it out as gross as vomit is.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold

Another example of the entitlement society we now live in.
Person A has an accident/incident that inconveniences person B and now person B is expecting/demanding some sort of compensation. Society circling the drain.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by fedup flyer
Another example of the entitlement society we now live in.
Person A has an accident/incident that inconveniences person B and now person B is expecting/demanding some sort of compensation. Society circling the drain.
How is this entitlement? If someone dents your car why should you have to pay for it? Your insurance company is going to go after the insurance company of the other party. That's not entitlement. That's just placing responsibility where responsibility is warranted. This also isn't just an inconvenience. Person B in this case lost a piece of property, not just time. A warped expectation of compensation would be to go after DL for damages.

This is between person A and person B. It's quite simple. Person B should replace or clean person A's backpack and content.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
All the more reason to use the overheads.

The chances of Exorcist-type projectile vomiting at the same time the overheads is open is quite low.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:19 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
[Question] Compensation on luggage debacle?

Mrs. D. was travelling to the EU. Due to the massive rebookings and winter storm her inbound flight was not carrying her luggage and it made it at Christmas eve (almost 4 days late). I have this covered by the AMEX luggage insurance.

Her outbound was rather smooth, however, DL did it again: the luggage did not make it. AMEX does not cover delayed luggage at your resident city, is there anything DL is responsible/compensating for?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:53 pm

Delta delayed baggage Compensation

I searched a couple of other threads, but they didn't quite seem to match up with my question.

I'm traveling for business and my bag has been delayed. In the brochure from Delta it mentions up to $50 expense reimbursement in the first 24 hours for expenses. My question is mine has only been delayed 7 hrs (so far), but its getting close to sunset and I have an early business meeting tomorrow. if I go out and buy a new shirt tonight with that get reimbursed? Does it matter if my luggage shows up an hour after I buy the shirt? Also I'm Silver Med. if that makes any difference. Sorry for the basic questions, I've never had this happen (fortunately)
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Plt, SW A+, SPG Plt, HH Silver, Marriott Gold,
This happened to me last week as well.
I am sure you filled a claim at the airport and provided instruction for delivery?

I was traveling DAB-ATL-LAX. Priority tag and all never made it to LAX. I had a bad experience with the LAX baggage staff but I will say that Delta stepped up.

Arrived LAX at 10:45am, By 1:00pm my bag showed located online, was delivered at 2:00am the next morning to my hotel.

There really is no way to get any more status on your bag then looking online and they say they have 12 hours to deliver it. I have never tried to get something paid for, but as long as you go by the rules, have filled the claim, and submit the correct paperwork I would not see why they wouldn't pay you back.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Overbooking and delayed luggage

We came down to Ecuador for a wedding, and our suit and dress were in our checked bag. We had a six hour layover in Atlanta so were not worried about missing bags. But the plan was sold-out, and they said weight issues obliged them to remove some luggage.

This seems like a case where Delta should have nearly unlimited requirement to compensate us: they knowingly sold the flight full, probably had some cargo on board they didn't want to get rid of.

Of course, should and do are quite different words in airline travel. Can we expect only $25/day (per bag? per person?) compensation?

Is the cranky consumer worth hiring in this case?

Shawn
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
We came down to Ecuador for a wedding, and our suit and dress were in our checked bag. We had a six hour layover in Atlanta so were not worried about missing bags. But the plan was sold-out, and they said weight issues obliged them to remove some luggage.

This seems like a case where Delta should have nearly unlimited requirement to compensate us: they knowingly sold the flight full, probably had some cargo on board they didn't want to get rid of.

Of course, should and do are quite different words in airline travel. Can we expect only $25/day (per bag? per person?) compensation?

Is the cranky consumer worth hiring in this case?

Shawn
I'd suggest you re-post this on the active Delta SkyMiles Board here on FT...The current Delta Board has a lot more traffic than this one...This one was used pre-World Perks NW merger and not used as much now days. I am sure someone on the main DL Board would be able to help you or perhaps even put you in contact with someone at DL.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Delta fined for deceptive practices on delayed baggage compensation

The Atlanta Journal Constitution is reporting that "The government plans to fine Delta Air Lines as much as $100,00 for unfair and deceptive practices in its compensation to passengers for delayed baggage".

Here's the link:
http://www.ajc.com/business/delta-fi...ve-713757.html
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Which is why I now travel light and avoid CRJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.