Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:32 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
You write should have been compensated, especially since there were multiple passengers inconvenienced. Unfortuantely, they look at it as only ONE lost bag and probably don't care that you packed everyone's clothes, etc. in it.

I would try CALLING customer service and ask for a supervisor, call the Delta main switchboard and ask for the executive office, or WRITE to Vicki Escarra personally ( or Customer Service again) and ASK for First Class tickets for everyone to go skiing NEXT YEAR since your vacation was SPOILED this year!!

No one can argue that a three month delay receiving your luggage is unacceptable and should be compensated in some way. When friends of mine had an oriental rug lost when they were coming home from Istanbul and the rug arrived 9 months later than the passengers, they were given 2 FC tickets for anywhere in the world.

Keep us posted.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:18 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
You write should have been compensated, especially since there were multiple passengers inconvenienced. Unfortuantely, they look at it as only ONE lost bag and probably don't care that you packed everyone's clothes, etc. in it.

I would try CALLING customer service and ask for a supervisor, call the Delta main switchboard and ask for the executive office, or WRITE to Vicki Escarra personally ( or Customer Service again) and ASK for First Class tickets for everyone to go skiing NEXT YEAR since your vacation was SPOILED this year!!

No one can argue that a three month delay receiving your luggage is unacceptable and should be compensated in some way. When friends of mine had an oriental rug lost when they were coming home from Istanbul and the rug arrived 9 months later than the passengers, they were given 2 FC tickets for anywhere in the world.

Keep us posted.
Were they given this compensation by Delta?!

Did the tickets include travel on Delta partners? Gee, I'm imagining two RTW FC trips on SQ already :-) I gotta get Delta to lose some baggage...
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by travel gal
Everytime I call the 800 number they they would allot us $22 a person to rent ski clothes.
What was the total amount (for all persons) reimbursed over the course of this issue?

I tried to tell them you cant rent ski clothes
Not that it matters now, but actually you can...Once I was on business in SLC with no gear and a client asked me to go Skiing with him. I rented everything...including bibs. Not the most fashionable though!

BTW, people from India work in the US too. How do you know it was Bombay (actually Mumbai)? Did you smell curry?

Also for what its worth from UDH: Delta and Sykes have announced that they have mutually agreed to terminate their call center partner relationship, effective immediately.

Delta entered into three call center partner relationship agreements with offshore call centers in 2003 including Sykes Enterprises, Inc., in Bangalore, India, Wipro-Spectramind, in Mumbai, India, and Pune and Daksh, in New Delhi. Delta will continue it's partnerships with Wipro-Spectramind and Daksh, who will take over calls previously handled by Sykes.

These vendor partnerships further strengthen Delta’s Reservation Sales operation by providing much needed flexibility and capacity at a competitive cost and helps Delta respond to customer needs more quickly and effectively.

No Reservations Sales employees have been involuntarily furloughed as a result of Delta's offshore partnerships, nor did Delta deny any internal employee transfers to Reservations Sales. In 2003, Delta's call center partners in India handled less than four percent of Delta's calls. Delta does not plan further expansion of offshore call center services, at this time, except for possible minor adjustments in order to improve the quality of customer service.

Last edited by Pointfreak!; Jul 28, 2004 at 10:06 am
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:24 am

So I was talking to India. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just that I had a terrible time understanding them. When your luggage is lost, you're frustrated as it is, and then to talk to people who can't understand you and you can't understand just compounds the problem. I guess I was in that 4% everytime I called. Anyway, I have recieved nothing from Delta, just aggravation. Also, The few stores that Deer Valley has do not rent ski clothes, I asked, And I certainly didn't want to waste my vacation looking for one. I'm going to take runawaynfly's advice and call customer service. Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
I'm going to take runawaynfly's advice and call customer service.
Yup...thats your best bet...and HEY! Welcome to FlyerTalk! After your problem gets fixed, stick around!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:09 pm

Well, I did call and finally the manager in the claims department called back to deny my claim. He was so rude. He said they had a very strict policy that they only allow for rental of ski clothing, not the purchase. He said they gave me a printout in SLC of all the places I could rent clothing but they did not. I still have the original printout which is only 10 lines which only states how much they allow for rental. Absolutely, no info as to where to rent clothing. The next morning, as we were buying clothes, I asked each store if they rent clothing and they said they did not. I asked the concierge at the Stein Erikson Lodge and they also said they were not aware of any store that rented clothing. Anyway, This manager at Delta quoted an employee he said I spoke to in Atlanta when the luggage was lost and that said she gave me name of places to go but that is not true. She told me to save my receipts and submit them with my claim. I asked to talk with her but they would not let me. My first phone call this morning, before the manager called me back, was to customer care who also talked to this same employee this morning and the customer care person told me that this employee remembered me alnd told me to save my receipts. Now shes changing her story and they won't let me talk to her. What do I do now. Delta has terrible customer service. And I live in Atlanta and sometimes have no other choice but to fly Delta. What do I do now. Also, thanks for the welcome. It makes me feel better.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:38 pm

Well, I did call and finally the manager in the claims department called back to deny my claim.........What do I do now. Also, thanks for the welcome. It makes me feel better.
While I dont think they owe you a refund for the total prcie of your clothes, I agree that they do owe you something...at least the daily rental costs. Considering the number of people through the SLC airport on a daily basis I find it hard to believe that this person can recall exact conversations from weeks ago (unless you did something very memorable like give them a $100 or take a poop on the bagage desk. ).

Sounds like it's time to take it up the food chain. Anybody have the email/phone/addres of Ms. Escarra's replacement for our newest member?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Vicki Escarra's E-mail Address: [email protected]
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
And I live in Atlanta and sometimes have no other choice but to fly Delta.
Living in ATL, you ALWAYS have a choice of airlines. Write them an email asking for reasonable compensation, I would say for the daily rental fees and remind them of the fact that you do have a choice in airlines. ATL is no where near a hostage market. Our resident MLB posters can attest to that.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:18 pm

You all are so nice. Thanks for the info. I'll wait till tomorrow to write the letter because I'm so frustrated I can't think straight.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Vicki Escarra's E-mail Address: [email protected]
Not any more......

I guess she was getting too many e-mails.

I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply. www.delta.com/email
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Compensation

Look at the Terms and Conditions. If your luggage isnt' delivered to you within 5 days, Delta will pay you the cost of replacing what was in the luggage up to a limit of $2,500. (This is assuming: a) your itinerary was all domestic; b) my memory is correct.)
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
travel gal, as I had reported in this thread the DL baggage claim dept. in India simply does not have a clue. They are robots that have been given a script to read from and it is a total waste of time to even speak to them. Thankfully I was able to facilitate the return of my lost bag with the assistance of some extremely able US based SMS agents.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Skymiles Plat, United Premier Exec
Appropriate Compensation for Luggage Delay

On Friday, I flew out of Savannah to Atlanta to catch a flight into Gatwick. The flight I was supposed to be on had apparently left Atlanta for Savannah and turned around due to mechanical trouble. In an attempt to get me to Atlanta to catch my flight to London, I was transferred to Air Tran. My bags were checked through to London. Well...needless to say, they didn't make it. In fact, it's Monday and they still haven't made it. I keep enough items in my carry-on to get me by if I get stuck overnight, but not enough to get me by long-term.

On Saturday I went out and bought a casual outfit so I could wear something on Sunday that I hadn't already been wearing for two days. I called the airline (in London) on Sunday to check the status and received the response..."no, we haven't heard anything about your bags yet". This, of course, concerned me so I called Delta in the US and verified my address about three times, as well as most of the contents inside my bag. I mentioned to the man on the phone that if they are trying to identify my bag, the business card luggage tag with my name on it may a bit easier to find, rather than looking for my nike sneakers with a red swoosh.

Anyway, I told the man that I would need to purchase a suit for work on Monday because I coudn't possibly show up in my travel clothing. All he would compensate me for was $50. I was so frustrated I just asked that he please focus on finding my bag. I figured I would deal with the clothing issue later. My husband got ahold of Delta last night and it looks like they have located my bags, so I do anticipate seeing them soon...which is truly what is most important to me. I have some questions though. I don't know the best way to go about trying to collect the money I spent on the suit...with the shoes alone eating up the generous $50 Delta promised. Also...I had to buy shampoo, conditioner, and a hairbrush . I tried to be as reasonable as possible, but I think it is rediculous for me to have to pay for a suit that I don't want or need...although it is nice.

Help.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:44 am

I would check the agreement of the credit/charge card used to purchase the tickets.

For example, Amex Plat. and Centurion have a "Baggage Insurance Plan".

Also, was this a business trip? If so, your company cover your expenses as you lost your luggage in the course of a company paid business trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.