Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Gate Agents or Redcoats?

I've also heard the $1300 max for domestic flights.
A red coat told me this. Good point, not sure if gate agents have this authority. I wonder if they get a red coat (or someone similarly empowered) in a situation that could become involuntary denied boarding?

And the red coat that told me this was working this situation on an int'l flight.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Hotel, meal vouchers, and $1300 DL dollars.

Notes:
- Apparently meal vouchers exist if DL wants them to
- No GC's, just DL $$
I believe $1300 is the maximum the airline must pay for in Involuntary Boarding according to 14 CFR 250.5.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
A red coat told me this. Good point, not sure if gate agents have this authority. I wonder if they get a red coat (or someone similarly empowered) in a situation that could become involuntary denied boarding?

And the red coat that told me this was working this situation on an int'l flight.
I've seen $1100 from a GA, but I don't know if they had redcoat approval beforehand (oversold tcon).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mot29
I believe $1300 is the maximum the airline must pay for in Involuntary Boarding according to 14 CFR 250.5.
I think this was along the lines of what the red coat told me (without quoting the code). But he said this had to be given for IDB in cash, no DL dollars/credits.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I think this was along the lines of what the red coat told me (without quoting the code). But he said this had to be given for IDB in cash, no DL dollars/credits.
Also, $1300 (or any other amount) VDB doesn't get reported and show up in government statistics.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Can anyone see if Flight # 124 from MCO to BOS is oversold? They're selling tickets for $429 (h fare) and the seat map is showing everything in coach full except for a few preferred seats... I booked with miles and am worried about getting bumped as I need to get into Boston within 2 hours of the scheduled landing.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
Can anyone see if Flight # 124 from MCO to BOS is oversold? They're selling tickets for $429 (h fare) and the seat map is showing everything in coach full except for a few preferred seats... I booked with miles and am worried about getting bumped as I need to get into Boston within 2 hours of the scheduled landing.
Do you mean tomorrow? I see dozens of empty seats in the seat map, and it's at least Y9.

In any event, if you don't want to get bumped, chances are extremely good that they'll offer someone else enough money not to take the flight.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:32 pm

I checked in for an international flight and was asked the question if I wanted to volunteer to give up my seat. I said yes but having second thoughts. I am assuming they must get my approval in person before they give my seat away?? I offered $800 so chances are slim ...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelina
I checked in for an international flight and was asked the question if I wanted to volunteer to give up my seat. I said yes but having second thoughts. I am assuming they must get my approval in person before they give my seat away?? I offered $800 so chances are slim ...
Yes, they need your approval in person after arranging which alternate flight you'll get.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:39 pm

Thank you Sethb for such a quick response! One more question, if there are no Delta flights available same day can they book you on another airline or must you wait until Delta has a seat the following day?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you Sethb for such a quick response! One more question, if there are no Delta flights available same day can they book you on another airline or must you wait until Delta has a seat the following day?
Everything is negotiable. If you're traveling TATL, they can rebook you on JV partners easily (and possibly others, depending on how badly they want the seat). Or they can re-route you if that make sense.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:52 pm

This is LAX-NRT and last flight of the day. Who would be a JV partner for that route? The Flight still shows available seats so I am confused by the offer ?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is LAX-NRT and last flight of the day. Who would be a JV partner for that route? The Flight still shows available seats so I am confused by the offer ?
They're willing to overbook up to some limit, expecting no-shows. They make the offer if they think they might need VDB. Most of the times I've gotten the offer at check-in, they didn't end up needing anybody.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Kef-jfk 8/28

At OLCI I was asked if Id be bumped told to pick my amount $200-500 chose $500, but there was only 1 flight I would move to

@ KEF got there 90 mins B4 departure time. There was an idiot working the Priority Lane so bad that I could have saved 20 mins had I gone on the kettle line.

Anyway when I got up to the counter I asked about VDB and what was being offered she called the gate was told $1000 voucher, hotel for the night(dont know which one) and flight on Sat 8/29. Sat flight wouldnt work for me and having to stay over to Sun would wipe out most of the $1K voucher, she said they needed a bunch of vols (dont know exact #)

By the time I got to the gate , security line was ridiculous, with only 2 machines being used yet signs all over Apologizing for the long wait due to it being a Peak Time.Duh! if you know its Peak why the heck dont you have 4 or 5 lanes working, and I thought TSA was bad. Anyway I asked at the gate and they said they already had all the vols they needed, since tehyw ere real busy I didnt want to ask all the questions to fin sout which hotel etc etc
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Had a weird one last week. Going XXX-SLC-MSP-ORF, noticed SLC-MSP was oversold (no tix for sale) an hour before XXX-SLC scheduled to depart. Had a 45 min connection so not much time to deal with a vol at the gate. Plus, alternate connections left 10 and 20 min after SLC-MSP, so figured I would be stuck on a red-eye. Kiosk didn't work so asked GA to put me on the volunteer list for that flight which he did with a $400 bid. Arrived 10 min early, got to gate 40 min before departure to check status and they said I was taken care of, handed me F boarding passes (auto upgrade and bonus MQM as actual F) for the flight 10 min later and an $800 voucher. Never seen a bump processed so far before departure. I then SDC'd to the next flight since that route got in 30 min before what they booked me for.

Thanks for all I learned here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.