Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by t2r
so did they take your voucher/credit back, or was it too late at that point after you returned? lucky duck!
No there was no attempt to take the voucher back for the flight has left.

The SOP was to track me down and get the money back and me onto the plane until the jetway is ordered to be retracted. Since I was long gone they probably did not extend too much effort.

Quack Quack

Last edited by tentseller; May 24, 2011 at 11:22 am
Old May 24, 2011, 1:09 pm

Last year, during the Dayton Air Show, I was booked on a DC-9 that was weight restricted to 90 and was apparently booked full. The ticket counter agent gave me $400 to take a different flight.

P.S. During our lovely air show, the two longest runways are closed and airspace is closed for an hour each day. Have a friend who was on a UA flight that had to divert to CMH because of F-18s.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
If you got first class, I'd call that a nice consolation prize after losing the bump.

My mom and I were flying MCO-ATL last March, were the first two in the line to ask about volunteering when the flight opened, and were told we were "first on the list". Two others came up behind us to ask about volunteering, with the gate agent pointing to us telling them that we would be the first to come off if volunteers were needed. We were even booked on an alternate itinerary to get to CMH the next morning via CVG, which showed up on our FF sections of Delta.com.

When all was said and done, we were told to board the flight, along with the couple behind us. A family of four, who were theoretically 5th-8th in line, got the $400 vouchers per person. When we asked the agent what happened, she said "you needed accommodations", which was incorrect because we told her we were willing go back to Daytona and spend the night (we have a vacation home there).

We went to Delta customer service for help, with none found.
Old May 24, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by JSprague24
If you got first class, I'd call that a nice consolation prize after losing the bump.

My mom and I were flying MCO-ATL last March, were the first two in the line to ask about volunteering when the flight opened, and were told we were "first on the list". Two others came up behind us to ask about volunteering, with the gate agent pointing to us telling them that we would be the first to come off if volunteers were needed. We were even booked on an alternate itinerary to get to CMH the next morning via CVG, which showed up on our FF sections of Delta.com.

When all was said and done, we were told to board the flight, along with the couple behind us. A family of four, who were theoretically 5th-8th in line, got the $400 vouchers per person. When we asked the agent what happened, she said "you needed accommodations", which was incorrect because we told her we were willing go back to Daytona and spend the night (we have a vacation home there).

We went to Delta customer service for help, with none found.
It is easier for the GA to reroute one PNR of four people than two PNR of two each.
The other way to look at it is there is no hotel out of pocket to DL with these four. If you and the other PNR of two were VDB then there is hotel outlay for the other two.

I had a VDB on DTW AMS BCN where my party of five trumped earlier volunteers due to they needed exactly five and I propose that we reroute DTW JFK BCN which had more than 5 BE seats (Thanks to FT for EF)
without costing them hotels. We ended up with $3000 and flew TATL eastbound in BE.

I find many times GA will take the VDB with easiest routing. If you have your alternative routes s with available seating (You can put me on DLxxxx AAA-BBB and DLxxxx BBB-CCC) you will increase your VDB chances.
Old May 24, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
This is a major difference between airlines... I'm in the process of moving to Delta from Southwest after the RR2.0 switch. I'm at 29 segments after this trip I'm on now (since February), and thus far have never been on one where volunteers were needed.

With Southwest, I was very successful in getting VDB compensation on a regular flight from Denver to Kansas City (Fridays at 1:50 p.m.). I'd volunteer every two weeks when I was there, and was successful in being bumped one time out of four.

There were several times in the past two years where I volunteered, was "paid", and then was able to actually board the same flight because the person who had checked in didn't make the flight. Never was I ever asked for the voucher back.

I asked once why sometimes I get paid right away and other times I get paid only after the flight leaves... Her response = we can see (and wouldn't pay early for) an internet checkin, and differentiate it from airport checkin or one where bags have been checked. Both of those situations would cause a GA to be more likely to issue VDB before the door closed.

In any event, obviously I'm still learning the art of Delta, because I'd have stayed in the gate area to see....
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:14 pm

PVG-NRT

Hi all,

Just wanted to bump this thread regarding an upcoming PVG-NRT DL 296 flight tomorrow. First timer on DL with no ST status. Online check in screen shows the following:

Got Time? Get Rewarded:
We are seeking volunteers willing to take a different flight in exchange for a travel voucher redeemable within 1 year on delta.com.

If you're interested in volunteering, you can get more information at the departure gate for your flight to Tokyo-Narita.

1/ I have seen that the price range for int'l compensation for VDB is around $800-$1000, is this irrespective of the number of hours being delayed by (the way domestic VDB works) as long as its int'l?

2/ How do they allocate VDB's if say 10 people are up for it and they only need 2? First come first served or by SM status?

3/ What happens if they move you to an earlier flight? Does VDB still apply? I'm wondering as some earlier (as well as later) flights are showing seats DL 296 departs at 0935 AM:

MU () 523 0 PVG
09/10/11 9:10 AM NRT
09/10/11 12:50 PM 332
Daily
76% / 23m C7 J6 Z5 O2 D0 Y9 K9 B9 E9 H9 L0 M0 N0 R0 S0 V0 T0 G0 X0 Q0 U0 I0

JL () 872 0 PVG
09/10/11 9:00 AM NRT
09/10/11 12:55 PM 767
Daily
75% / 22m C0 J0 D0 X0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

CA () 929 0 PVG
09/10/11 9:55 AM NRT
09/10/11 1:50 PM 772
Daily
70% / 40m C9 D9 Z7 I3 R2 Y9 B9 M5 H5 K2 L2 Q0 G0 S0 X0 N0 V0 U0 W0 T0 E0

DL () 296 0 PVG
09/10/11 9:35 AM NRT
09/10/11 1:50 PM 333
Daily
81% / 50m J4 C4 D0 I0 S0 Y7 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 E0

NH () 922 0 PVG
09/10/11 10:15 AM NRT
09/10/11 2:15 PM 763
Daily
66% / 30m J2 C2 D0 Z0 P0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 L0 K0 N0

MU () 521 0 PVG
09/10/11 12:00 PM NRT
09/10/11 4:00 PM 333
Su,M,T,W,F,Sa
71% / 64m C9 J9 Z9 O0 D0 Y2 K2 B2 E0 H0 L0 M0 N0 R0 S0 V0 T0 G0 X0 Q0 U0 I0

NH () 920 0 PVG
09/10/11 1:10 PM NRT
09/10/11 5:00 PM 763
Daily
69% / 22m J1 C1 D0 Z0 P0 Y1 B1 M1 U1 H1 Q1 V0 W0 S0 L0 K0 N0

etc etc

4/ To what extend do passengers have a choice/scope in negotiation in which flights they are to be VDB'ed to or is a matter of "this will be your new flight"

Appreciate theres a whole lot of questions here but any help for a first time DL flyer would be much appreciated!

Regards,

baclubflyer
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UA G, DL DM, Marriott Gold
It looks like baclubflyer might already be in the air, but I was searching to post a question on almost the same flight. My return flight PVG-DTW has one open seat. I've been checking for weeks to try to get in an exit row or economy comfort, but it just keeps getting fuller.

My flight leaves at 10am. There is another flight that leaves at 9:35am going through NRT which has better seats on offer.

Is it possible to volunteer for another flight before you get to the airport? I'd do it with no compensation other than more leg room ...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:50 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.862 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/116)

Nope not in the air yet ! Will update on how it goes today... Seems not many people know the formalities ex PVG
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I took a VDB from CHA-ATL on Thursday and Delta paid for my "alternative ground transportation" aka cab ride.

Should I still earn miles for this portion of my trip?

I caught my second leg flight ATL-TUL in Atlanta and it posted to my skymiles account this morning.

Thanks for the help,
Nissan
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
You can call or email and request Original Routing Credit
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: DL EOS...
With approaching storm VDB's were flowing. 1st leg window UG already seated with coffee/baileys when GA approached and offered $400 confirmed in 1st on n/s. Only glitch was change from LGA to JFK but there was time so they got me a car and all worked out nicely.

I probably could've held out for $600 but was happy with $400, car and confirmed in 1st which UG wasn't looking good for my connecting flight.

Only thing, 'not sure if I should push karma and request ORC?

They were also looking for VDB's on my new flight but couldn't push my luck any further. Must be west coast this evening. But for folks with flexible plans today could be lucrative VDB's.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Ti22
With approaching storm VDB's were flowing. 1st leg window UG already seated with coffee/baileys when GA approached and offered $400 confirmed in 1st on n/s. Only glitch was change from LGA to JFK but there was time so they got me a car and all worked out nicely.

I probably could've held out for $600 but was happy with $400, car and confirmed in 1st which UG wasn't looking good for my connecting flight.

They were also looking for VDB's on my new flight but couldn't push my luck any further. Must be west coast this evening. But for folks with flexible plans today could be lucrative VDB's.
I was supposed to be in NYC this weekend but cancelled last week and the first thing I thought of when I saw the storm was that I wish I was there and I would DEFINITELY have been earning some VDB money today!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Ti22
Not sure why it'd be pushing karma. You'd be legitimately entitled to it.

Check which fare class they rebooked you in, though. If they rebooked you in full Y (common, IME), you may end up with more PQMs (although fewer RDMs) than on your original routing (assuming you weren't originally booked in a fare class offering bonus PQM).
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by jackal
Not sure why it'd be pushing karma. You'd be legitimately entitled to it.

Check which fare class they rebooked you in, though. If they rebooked you in full Y (common, IME), you may end up with more PQMs (although fewer RDMs) than on your original routing (assuming you weren't originally booked in a fare class offering bonus PQM).
Delta has finally worked out the glitch in the system -- funny how they can fix things when it doesn't benefit pax -- where your original fare class will prevail for RDM/MQM regardless of class of rebooking. I've been rebooked a few times over the last couple months for IROPS and haven't gotten fare class bonuses for any of them when rebooked in full Y. (Upgrades, though!)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Delta has finally worked out the glitch in the system -- funny how they can fix things when it doesn't benefit pax -- where your original fare class will prevail for RDM/MQM regardless of class of rebooking. I've been rebooked a few times over the last couple months for IROPS and haven't gotten fare class bonuses for any of them when rebooked in full Y. (Upgrades, though!)
Oh, oops! I thought this thread was in the UA forum for some reason. Didn't scroll up to see that it wasn't (hence my use of "PQM").

In fact, I really have no idea why I am subscribed to this thread, given DL is not by any stretch of the imagination my primary carrier...

:shuffles back off into the shadows:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.