Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity Sightings on DL Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
FYI, I work the UNGA detail and as a supervisor with NYPD I can assure you its not the NYPD's fault. We are at the mercy of these heads of states. We have zero say and little advanced notice as to their exact schedule and time of movements. We do however, need to put pedestrian freezes in effect so that when they are ready to move, we are ready. That takes time. I'd love to get into more detail but I can't and I also know that it is a huge inconvenience for the general public, but its not the NYPD's fault..its like saying a flight is delayed due to weather and blaming delta for not knowing exactly when the flight will depart
I am a journalist and I cover UNGA every year. I have to say that generally NYPD and the even the Secret Service are very friendly and quite polite. It is inconvenient in general but which other city hosts heads of government and state for 190+ countries plus international organization over a whole week?
I find that if you do it year after year, you develop a system where you know where to go when and how to get there. And I was stopped this week by the Colombian president motorcade on 2nd Ave. It took all of 15 seconds of my time to wait which is really not the end of the world.

Thanks for your work making sure things go smoothly during UNGA, DL2SXM.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
A BE Class air ticket gets entry in DL Skyclub, with it's specials like Gordon's etc.

So what is the fuss about?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by thesaints
How did he like Gordon's vodka ?
Wrong -
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
It's Finlandia now. I just wish they kept Skyy
Correct

Originally Posted by bk42
If the latter applies, why is Kim Kardashian still here?
because she is extremely hot?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Wrong -

Correct

because she is extremely hot?
You are amazing. Easy and correct answers.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:51 pm

Most head of states are not in any danger. Just like the Governor of California, Texas, or New York, whom aren't targets.

Even the President of the United States is safe in an airport. However, because the nuclear football remains with the President, instead of staying with the highest ranking official in Washington (the Russian football stays in Moscow), the President has an excuse for private security and planes.

Besides, the President can be relaxed knowing that nobody in their right mind would want the VP to become President. That same thought applied to Nixon, who wisely noted that he was safe as nobody wanted Agnew as President.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
It is a big deal to New Yorkers, but not in the ways you might think. The UN GA throws up so many barriers that it can impede pedestrian access. On Wednesday I find myself suddenly trapped for about 30 minutes walking home from work. Nothing like not being able to go in any direction, and the NYPD not having any idea as to how long one will be stuck.
False Imprisonment, or Violation of Civil Rights Under Color of Law (depending on whether you'd rather charge a state or federal felony).
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by sethb
False Imprisonment, or Violation of Civil Rights Under Color of Law (depending on whether you'd rather charge a state or federal felony).
so much hyperbolic bs in that statement! (Coming from a lawyer)

IBTL!!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Marilu
Why is "the help" engaging with random members of the public when they have a protectee in the first place?

Given the source, can we really be certain that they were?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The UN pedestrian gridlcok - and subsequent blaming of the police story reminded me of this little gem from a number of years ago . . . .

I was in London's Victoria Station, in the little office where you buy Underground & Bus tickets and maps, etc. . . .

At the moment, the tube was completely closed indefinitely due to a bomb scare. A woman walks in and asks how long they expect it to be closed. The sales agents said that they had NO IDEA how long!

Well, the woman gets LOUD, and huffy & puffy and shouts in a very DYKWIA tone - UGGHH! CAN'T YOU JUST GIVE ME AN IDEA HOW LONG THESE THINGS USUALLY LAST?!?!?

They were stunned! . . . and replied in a harsh tone . . . It'll be open AS SOON AS THE POLICE FEEL IT'S SAFE!!!

Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:23 pm

Internal studies within the division have come to the conclusion that the security details themselves are more of a risk to the average protectee than if they had no protection at all. Good example is the DHS head, there's now a USSS detail for them, when most people wouldn't know who they were, but now the men in black with the surveillance mic, ear pieces and lapel pins give them away to folks in a DL Sky Club to post on FT. It's especially problematic if suddenly they choose to chat up random travelers drinking Gordon's and visiting on a Groupon deal.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Ukraine's Prime Minister was sitting in JFK SkyClub
Originally Posted by dd1612
A BE Class air ticket gets entry in DL Skyclub,
Where duz it say that he was in BE?!?

Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bk42
If the latter applies, why is Kim Kardashian still here?
LOL
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
What makes you privy to such intelligence? And if it is the case, and they are from the US Secret Service, what is your point?
Most high visibility leaders gets USSS protection. If he were to die on US soil it would be a major PR coup for whoever did it. It would also effect the area. If you don't think the PM had USSS protection then you've not looked at security before. Even Iran's President gets USSS protection when in the US.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Maybe he was flying AF and is stuck...
Or maybe he was waiting for his Aeroflot flight. lol
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CL87
Besides, the President can be relaxed knowing that nobody in their right mind would want the VP to become President. That same thought applied to Nixon, who wisely noted that he was safe as nobody wanted Agnew as President.
Or, in the days of Bush 41 (George H. W. Bush), Dan Quayle served as impeachment insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.