FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Celebrity Sightings on DL Flights
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:38 pm
qmiro

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
FYI, I work the UNGA detail and as a supervisor with NYPD I can assure you its not the NYPD's fault. We are at the mercy of these heads of states. We have zero say and little advanced notice as to their exact schedule and time of movements. We do however, need to put pedestrian freezes in effect so that when they are ready to move, we are ready. That takes time. I'd love to get into more detail but I can't and I also know that it is a huge inconvenience for the general public, but its not the NYPD's fault..its like saying a flight is delayed due to weather and blaming delta for not knowing exactly when the flight will depart
I am a journalist and I cover UNGA every year. I have to say that generally NYPD and the even the Secret Service are very friendly and quite polite. It is inconvenient in general but which other city hosts heads of government and state for 190+ countries plus international organization over a whole week?
I find that if you do it year after year, you develop a system where you know where to go when and how to get there. And I was stopped this week by the Colombian president motorcade on 2nd Ave. It took all of 15 seconds of my time to wait which is really not the end of the world.

Thanks for your work making sure things go smoothly during UNGA, DL2SXM.