Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Turned away and sent to the "penalty box" outside in Los Angeles for being 15 minutes early. "Did my time" and then was admitted.
No early release for good behavior?

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
If this has been asked before I apologize: here is the scenario i face next week:

I am doing an "up and back" same day in and out of Boston. I land at 800 am. have my meeting and then fly back out at 700 PM the same day.

Lets say my meeting ends at 200 PM and I heard back to the airport because I am pathetic and have nothing else to do.
- I know I cant use my 700 PM boarding pass because i am WAY early,
-HOWEVER could I use my boarding pass from earlier in the day to get in to the club? is there a cut off of having access to the club after arrival? Technically, I could have landed at 800, wandered around the gates, made a few calls, grabbed a bite and THEN headed to the club.

Not a hypothetical: this is what I am facing next week.
Thoughts?
Should work, let us know how things go!
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In principle, yes it does violate a DL rule if you buy and then cancel a smae day ticket after you use it to enter a SC early, more than three hours before the flight you actually take. You would be violating a rule about fictitious or impossible bookings. There could also be a risk (however slight) that DL might cancel the ticket you plan to use.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 23, 2023 at 10:58 am Reason: I forgot to quote an early post to which I was replying so that my "yes" didn't make sense.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
but they only make a single fixed contribution for the year regardless of how many times they visit the club or how long they consume seating space. People using cards are continually generating revenue for delta over and over, month after month.

I'm not sure why people get hung up on "membership" as being some exalted status that deserves unending adulation, it's a method to access the club and Delta has sent an extremely clear message that they don't see it as any more special than using a card.
When DL raises membership fees, those who use SCs less frequently are more likely to drop their memberships. The same would be true of people who get expensive credit cards primarily for SC access.

There could also be an issue of "revenge" SC use: people think they're paying a big fixed fee for access, so they make a point of using lounges more frequently, for longer periods, and consume more F&B while in the lounge.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given this question remains unanswered:

“Is it no waivers and no favors on this for the US Congresspersons (Senators and Reps) wanting to use the SkyClub at DCA?”

I take it that my respectfully responding to non-answer responses to my question isn’t the issue as much as a profound dislike for the question about whether DL has a policy where some SkyClub users are less equal than other SkyClub users with regard to the 3 hour rule. Thus, it’s not amazing that there is all this tangential “what have you seen”, “how do you know” or “whom do you know” downstream banter, even as all of that is irrelevant to the question asked — a question for which there must be a factual answer no matter how much the question about the 3 hour rule is disliked.

Any airline not on a sanctions list, if interested.
AFAIK DCA still has a separate SC section for elected officials and other VIPs. A few other airports (IIRC LAX is one and JFK would also make sense) so one could ask the same question regarding celebrity early lounge access.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Lol, I'm inclined to agree - NOBODY needs to spend 3 hours in a lounge. Obviously there is some cost element of this (food consumption) as well as the crowding issue, so I don't have (much) sympathy for the OP (I mean could he have promised not to eat or drink anything until T-3h? I suppose ).
The problem with using boarding time is that AFAIK it only shows up on the boarding pass, and can vary by destination and aircraft type. If someone can't do OLCI then they won't know what the boarding time is before they plan their trip to the airport. 3h prior to departure and therefore ~2h20m of max lounge time seems pretty reasonable.
DL has been advising everyone, including DMs with paid D1 tickets, to arrive four hours early at certain international airports. It would be very annoying for a D1 passenger to be denied access to an AF/KLM/VS lounge when the premium cabin passenger arrived on time and was able to get to the lounge in less than an hour for check in/baggage check, exit passport control, and airport security. In fact, I recently went from the airport door to the lounge in less than an hour when originating at AMS and CDG.

I have to disagree on this. Sometimes DL flyers have to drive rather substantial distances — in what may turn out to be rather inclement weather — to get to DL hub and focus city airports and deal with whatever is going on with traffic on the roads to the airports and whatever the situation is at the DL airport/terminal. And an airport-bound roadtrip which takes maybe 1-5 hours on a good day to a DL airport can sometimes take twice that or longer on a bad day and the variance can be extreme enough that it just makes sense to try to get there hours earlier than when the weather and traffic picture is all rosy. And when not able or willing to just ditch the car and get a quick replacement drive mid-journey, it sometimes becomes even more necessary at times to plan on being at the airport even way earlier than 3 or 4 hours before scheduled departure even if the weather and traffic picture looks good. Add on how finicky airlines can be with international check-in at times and their limited capacity for manual check-in, and there are good reasons why passengers entitled to lounge access may want to spend more than 3 hours in the lounges so as to try to get work done.
It can also be very reasonable to plan to arrive extremely early when there are strikes.

In terms of winter driving, I can recall a time when I left my hotel four hours early for what normally should be a one hour drive to the airport (on roads that I know reasonably well and that don't have major rush hour problems) and I still missed my flight from an outstation.

In addition to winter weather, road closures, construction, and detours can cause major delays. Recently I experienced an unanticipated detour for bridge repair work that caused my drive (fortunately on a raod trip so that I wasn't going to an airport) to be extended by more than an hour.

Originally Posted by indufan
I am pretty sure it doesn't. I think it is a consistent 40 minutes.
RJs board later (30 minutes for CRJ-900s and it might be even less for CRJ-200s) and wide body international flights board earlier (60 minutes for at least most routes).

Originally Posted by physicsdude
From my experience, this happens a lot at DTW, but the past few weeks, I've been in some queues at BOS and LGA where a lot of people in front of me wave their Amex card to get in. The thing is, you can often see the difference between those who have Amex cards and those who have status/membership/in a premium cabin. Those with Amex cards often have a group of people enter with them, waste space by spreading out their stuff on other empty seats nearby, and create a mess.

The thing is, DL thinks that their SkyClubs are on-par with the Al-Mourjan lounge at DOH, Polaris lounges, or Flagship lounges but they're frankly not and need a reality check. Problem is, even if all of the people with status/membership/in a premium cabin stop using Sky Clubs, they'll still be packed with all of the Amex guests.
Some of us can enter SCs by multiple methods. When I have a D1 ticket and an AmEx Plat charge card or DL reserve card, am I one or the undesirables? Is your answer different when I'm taking a flight in domestic FC?

Originally Posted by jiburi
DEN also has AMEX Centurion Lounge also enforcing the 3 hour rules. My guess is they are enforcing the same rule for Centurion Lounge at Sky Club as you are using the same access method. Tho I could be wrong, AMEX could deny compensation to SC if swiped more than 3 hours.

Jiburi
IIRC Centurion cardholders are exempt from the three hour rule for AmEx Centurion lounges and they were also exempted from the no use on arrival restriction. Do DL SCs treat Centurion card access differently and allow originating passengers to enter early?

What about DL 360s? Does the three hour rule apply to them? In fact, when access upon arrival was prohibited, was this enforced for 360s?

The three-hour rule in DL sky clubs is a Delta rule, not an amex rule. It applies to people entering on D1 tickets, with (annual) memberships, etc. It has nothing to do with the access method.
I'm not so sure about 360s, certain VIPs, and Centurion cardholders.
GUWonder and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not so sure about 360s, certain VIPs, and Centurion cardholders.
well lifetime members are explicitly exempted from 3-hour rule, but regardless, the point is that Delta is determining those exceptions, not Amex.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

IIRC Centurion cardholders are exempt from the three hour rule for AmEx Centurion lounges and they were also exempted from the no use on arrival restriction. Do DL SCs treat Centurion card access differently and allow originating passengers to enter early?
I just asked some Centurion family and friends who are primarily MSP, CHI and NYC-originating flyers to try it out with DL SkyClubs. They are pretty sure their latest visits involved checks for the 3 hour rule too, but they didn’t yet deliberately try to see what would happen 4 hours out at the originating airports’ SkyClubs. We would be surprised if DL didn’t enforce the 3 hour rule for Centurion too since Delta both charges for spouses, partners and kids and limits guests per Centurion card holder.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by xliioper
Just echoing comments from others that I have seen. Have yet to try it out as just recently got additional card for spouse.
I thought i had read if your (assuming an iPhone user) add’l cardholder added their AMEX to Apple wallet, then they would be connected. I will be able to test that out this weekend and report back. Mr. Ostatekitty has added his reserve card to wallet, but not his delta account. We’ll if he can just scan his boarding pass in the SC and go (assuming there’s not a line).
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by ostatekitty
I thought i had read if your (assuming an iPhone user) add’l cardholder added their AMEX to Apple wallet, then they would be connected. I will be able to test that out this weekend and report back. Mr. Ostatekitty has added his reserve card to wallet, but not his delta account. We’ll if he can just scan his boarding pass in the SC and go (assuming there’s not a line).
Apple Wallet is irrelevant for this. Some say it needs to be in your Delta Wallet, but Delta already knows who has what card(s) since they’re linked to your SkyMiles account so I’m not sure that’s actually necessary.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLHubber
Apple Wallet is irrelevant for this. Some say it needs to be in your Delta Wallet, but Delta already knows who has what card(s) since they’re linked to your SkyMiles account so I’m not sure that’s actually necessary.
How would Delta know that my spouse has an Amex Platinum charge card as an authorized user on my account if it's not in his Delta wallet? It's not linked to his Delta account, the Membership Rewards points can only go to my SkyMiles account.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
How would Delta know that my spouse has an Amex Platinum charge card as an authorized user on my account if it's not in his Delta wallet? It's not linked to his Delta account, the Membership Rewards points can only go to my SkyMiles account.
Good point. But my point still stands for primary users.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Couldn’t you do a same day confirmed flight change to an earlier flight, enter the Sky club, and then switch back to your original flight to skirt the 3 hour rule?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
not sure about you but if I want a "decent" hot dog when I'm in chicago A) I don't need to go to ORD to get one (maybe, if I'm there at the right time/day!) and B) I'm definitely not going to go EARLY just for that. I can grab a hot dog without needing 3+ hours in the lounge!
Many of you are missing the point. If I have sky club access.... it's free to enter whether it is 60 minutes before flight or 4 hours before flight. free = free. moreover if you are paying $39 or $59 or whatever the fee is these days with AMEX... even more reason to get your moneys worth and go early!
me? i like a solid 3-4 hours in the club before my flight especially international/long flights. I can work, read, drink, eat, sleep, whatever the hell I want. for HOURS!
I paid my membership fee (AMEX Reserve) and so help me, Ed Bastian, I am going to take full advantage of that amenity that I PAID FOR.
sky club hot dog = Chicago dog. mustard. check. onion, check. bun, check. hot dog. check. what else do you need???
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by mridley2
Many of you are missing the point. If I have sky club access.... it's free to enter whether it is 60 minutes before flight or 4 hours before flight. free = free. moreover if you are paying $39 or $59 or whatever the fee is these days with AMEX... even more reason to get your moneys worth and go early!
me? i like a solid 3-4 hours in the club before my flight especially international/long flights. I can work, read, drink, eat, sleep, whatever the hell I want. for HOURS!
I paid my membership fee (AMEX Reserve) and so help me, Ed Bastian, I am going to take full advantage of that amenity that I PAID FOR.
sky club hot dog = Chicago dog. mustard. check. onion, check. bun, check. hot dog. check. what else do you need???
You cannot enter SC 4 hours before your flight unless you cheat with a fake earlier standby, are connecting, on a same-day turn and are treated as arriving, are a lifetime SC member, or the SC is empty and the agent lets you in irrespective of the rules.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:48 am

I can do all of those things other places, there's no reason I have to go to the club to do any of them. The point of the this thread is the three hour limit, the fact that "they have hotdogs" has zero relevance because you don't have to get to the club three hours before your flight even if it happened to be the only place in the universe that had the global hot dog monopoly. It's a nonsensical point in this context.

Also your Amex Reserve does NOT give you a club membership. Read the T&C.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Delta excludes most of us from using the Delta lounges more than 3 hours before scheduled departure at point of origin for the trip or elsewhere that is effectively an O on the tickets. Delta doesn’t care that that most customers/partners have either paid or will pay for the lounge access, since Delta assumes it will get that business anyway even if limiting us to 3 hours of use at points of origin.

Delta wants to keep the lounges packed with Amex customers, and this 3 hour rule isn’t stopping that. …. and so we get the performance art of Delta’s “anti-crowding” lounge access measures — measure that beat around the bush on the big causes of the lounge crowding.

The travel industry is big into green-washing. Here we have Delta into “crowd-washing” — using “crowd-alleviation” measures as an opportunity to try to boost the revenues and margins of its lounge operations rather than to deal with the elephant in the room about the crowding in the lounges.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:07 am

Delta wants to keep the lounges packed with Amex customers, and this 3 hour rule isn’t stopping that. …. and so we get the performance art of Delta’s “anti-crowding” lounge access measures — measure that beat around the bush on the big causes of the lounge crowding.
So, you surmise absent of DL's Amex relationship, it wouldn't be necessary to impose the 3-hour rule? Interesting perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.