Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Delta is leaving dollars on the table. Why not offer a paid access fee (one-time or maybe multi-pass) if you want to enter more than 3 hour prior to departure (2hr 20 as one poster put it). I think for it to be successful and not drastically increase people in the club, the price should be slightly painful, to discourage the masses from camping out all day.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
lol, it's an arbitrary number, what difference does it make if they time it from boarding or from departure?
This can’t be a serious question. It makes a difference of 30-60 minutes depending on the flight. Of course it’s arbitrary, and I’m saying I’d like to see a more sensical arbitrary rule. Does it have a huge impact on me or whether or not I’ll fly Delta? No, of course not. Just sharing an opinion.
ostatekitty likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:29 pm
JN1

Programs: Delta Sky Miles - Gold Medallion
Only once so far and we were just ~30 min over the 3 hr mark at LAX. We were told to come back within 10-15min before the 3hr window
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by VFR
The Centurion lounge in Concourse C will let you in 3 hours before it closes at 9 pm, so that may be an answer if you are taking the late night flight again. You can get in with your Reserve card.

You didn't miss much in the DEN Sky Club though.

Both the time limit and cutting GM/PM/DM access have been short-sighted in my opinion. It's shown people that Delta's only real loyalty is to Amex.

JFK centurion turned me away for my 00:20 flight because it was not same day and "they're a same day lounge".
manacit likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:00 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Loyal customers are not necessarily profitable ones. Customers that routinely sit in the club for 3+ hours after buying a V-bucket fare are not exactly driving profits. They are, as we speak, massively overhauling who they actually care about and who they don't.
True to a point. Pax who buy SC memberships also contribute to the bottom line. That said, maybe they could look at exclusive clubs for exclusive pax. Doesn't another airline have that?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:03 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by RK23
JFK centurion turned me away for my 00:20 flight because it was not same day and "they're a same day lounge".
That ought to get a ... award. People complain about lawyers and the law but there's a rule of law that statutes are supposed to be construed in a contemporary and practical manner so as to avoid absurd and unreasonable results. Shame on Amex.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
This is the only rule that doesn't make sense to me. Not sure if this is what AmEx intends or if lounge agents are misinterpreting, but I would be frustrated.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:00 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
This is the only rule that doesn't make sense to me. Not sure if this is what AmEx intends or if lounge agents are misinterpreting, but I would be frustrated.
They followed the letter to the law but had the audacity to tell me to come back the next day. I filed a complaint but no response.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This hasn't happened to me yet because my new home airport (CLE) doesn'td have a SkyClub, this happened to my sister-in-law's husband, a 5 MMer. He is a regular at the DCA SkyClub and all the staff there know him by name and sight.

The rule seems easy for the club staff to enforce; the computer tells them whether the club member is more than 3 hours away from scheduled departure at the originating airport. Management must have told club staff, no waivers, no favors. Here is another area where I don't blame staff, I blame management.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ND76
This hasn't happened to me yet because my new home airport (CLE) doesn'td have a SkyClub, this happened to my sister-in-law's husband, a 5 MMer. He is a regular at the DCA SkyClub and all the staff there know him by name and sight.

The rule seems easy for the club staff to enforce; the computer tells them whether the club member is more than 3 hours away from scheduled departure at the originating airport. Management must have told club staff, no waivers, no favors. Here is another area where I don't blame staff, I blame management.
Is it no waivers and no favors on this for the US Congresspersons (Senators and Reps) wanting to use the SkyClub at DCA?

They followed the letter to the law but had the audacity to tell me to come back the next day. I filed a complaint but no response.
Amex customer service on this kind of thing has been worse than useless for me. Even on things as basic as when Amex posts incorrect Centurion lounge operating hours, they just wasted my time and did nothing about updating the operating hours so customers wouldn’t be mislead.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SSF556
I got run off from the Chicago club. I used the kiosk to check in and it presented me with a huge red display. Of course I protested and still got refused. The club was not busy at all. Anyway went across the hall to the pathetic Priority club. Drank some apple juice out of a baby can and ate some crap food for 45 minutes.
another "of course the rules shouldn't apply to ME!" post? Thoughts and prayers.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by DLHubber
This can’t be a serious question. It makes a difference of 30-60 minutes depending on the flight. Of course it’s arbitrary, and I’m saying I’d like to see a more sensical arbitrary rule. Does it have a huge impact on me or whether or not I’ll fly Delta? No, of course not. Just sharing an opinion.
But what I'm saying is that regardless of what time you use as the benchmark, it's arbitrary. Would you still think it "makes more sense" to use boarding time if they set the limit at two hours? There's nothing magical about "3 hours" that forces them to use that exact limit regardless of what time they're measuring from (if it were, people here would then just argue "it should be 3 hours from the bag cutoff" or some other baloney.

What I'm saying is that you're complaint has nothing to do with using departure time vs. boarding time, it's just a simple "the time limit should be higher because more time = better (for me)". Which is, I guess, obvious?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
True to a point. Pax who buy SC memberships also contribute to the bottom line. That said, maybe they could look at exclusive clubs for exclusive pax. Doesn't another airline have that?
but they only make a single fixed contribution for the year regardless of how many times they visit the club or how long they consume seating space. People using cards are continually generating revenue for delta over and over, month after month.

I'm not sure why people get hung up on "membership" as being some exalted status that deserves unending adulation, it's a method to access the club and Delta has sent an extremely clear message that they don't see it as any more special than using a card.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is it no waivers and no favors on this for the US Congresspersons (Senators and Reps) wanting to use the SkyClub at DCA?
is this something you've actually seen? IME people who are this busy don't have time to just twiddle their thumbs in a lounge for three hours, they will arrive at the airport like 2 minutes before boarding and go straight from car to TSA to gate.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I assume many (but not all) congresspeople are flying AA since the DCA hub has connectivity to many state capitals and other large cities. The folks from Georgia may be on Delta but with a UA hub at IAD as well, I'm guessing DL has the smallest percentage of the big 3 for Gov't pax into/out of DC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.