Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrboom
Read all of my posts. I understand the intent, but not allowing someone into an empty SC is ridiculous and a good way to turn loyal customers to other airlines.
Totally understand your POV. But then where do you draw the line? The first time they start bending the rules everyone is going to expect it. We know the new rules (which have been published extensively). I expect DL to enforce their policies so that they choose not to allowing someone to bend other rules simply because they are not busy. DL's own execs have said that the SCs are not intended to be WeWork outposts. This is reinforcement of that intention.

There are so many other things DL has done that on the surface seem to be effective strategies to push loyal customers away but actually haven't...and DL knows it.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:09 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Totally understand your POV. But then where do you draw the line? The first time they start bending the rules everyone is going to expect it. .
That's a valid point -- to a point. And that point is that the rules were changed for a purpose to reduce crowding in the clubs and probably a few of them. There's nothing to say that the rules shouldn't be modified to account for when they are not necessary, such as with red-eye departures and/or at non-peak hours. Modifying rules, of course, isn't bending them.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:23 pm

I was walking up to a DTW SC as an agent was putting up the "sorry we're full" sign. I made an exasperated hand gesture, and the agent said "come on in!" I told him I was a little early (approx. 10 minutes) and he told me not to worry about it. This was all before he knew my status or the fact that I was flying in D1. I really appreciated that.
Dick Ginkowski and golfr like this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by audidudi
And by doing that, you are taking away the opportunity for a legitimate customer being able to possibly get a lower fare in that earlier flight if you booked the last ticket in a cheaper bucket! Nothing but selfishness IMHO! And why anyone needs to show up more than 3 hours before a non-connection flight just to get into a Sky Club baffles me!
same reason why people buy expensive fully refundable tickets that allow them lounge use and then cancel them while in the lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Rules are rules, I prefer when DL is by the book with what they publish even if it seems odd.

Having agents who waive the rules it what leads to all the other threads about people getting skipped on the upgrade list, overcrowding, etc., etc.

My guess is the agents are driven by what the computer says and if it says no, the answer is no.

Of course you have some edge cases where it’s nonsensical (e.g., empty lounge) but for a big organization I prefer the consistency of the rules being enforced.

You also knew this rule before you arrived at the airport. You easily could’ve asked the hotel to hold your luggage after the late checkout and gone out to eat in downtown Denver and then headed to DEN within 3 hours
audidudi likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Duke787
Rules are rules, I prefer when DL is by the book with what they publish even if it seems odd.

Having agents who waive the rules it what leads to all the other threads about people getting skipped on the upgrade list, overcrowding, etc., etc.

My guess is the agents are driven by what the computer says and if it says no, the answer is no.

Of course you have some edge cases where it’s nonsensical (e.g., empty lounge) but for a big organization I prefer the consistency of the rules being enforced.

You also knew this rule before you arrived at the airport. You easily could’ve asked the hotel to hold your luggage after the late checkout and gone out to eat in downtown Denver and then headed to DEN within 3 hours
No need to provide the logistics, but the hotel was in the opposite direction of Denver and the airport.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
I've been let in 30 minutes early in MEM, though they made it clear I've been "exempted" since the lounge wasn't that busy. To be clear this lounge has not seen the lines that the bigger hubs have had...
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:50 pm

This doesn't bother me too much. Airport amenities are improving much faster than the Sky Clubs. For example, the pub outside the main MSP lounge is so much more enticing than the Sky Club.
audidudi likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Next step DYWIA toddler hissy fit "people with made up names on Flyertalk got in early, LET ME IN"
this, plus you are opening the door to non-stop arguments over how empty the club is
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by DLHubber
Now this I agree with. The 3 hour rule should at least allow you to spend 3 hours in the club. As it stands now, that's not possible.
lol, it's an arbitrary number, what difference does it make if they time it from boarding or from departure? Either way they're going to have to set the cutoff somewhere and somebody is going to whine that the number should have been 30 minutes more.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by testycal
same reason why people buy expensive fully refundable tickets that allow them lounge use and then cancel them while in the lounge.
They don’t need to be expensive or fully refundable. Even BE counts for access and are fully refundable if you cancel them as soon as you enter the lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrboom
Read all of my posts. I understand the intent, but not allowing someone into an empty SC is ridiculous and a good way to turn loyal customers to other airlines.
they may want to do exactly that. Loyal customers are not necessarily profitable ones. Customers that routinely sit in the club for 3+ hours after buying a V-bucket fare are not exactly driving profits. They are, as we speak, massively overhauling who they actually care about and who they don't.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
they may want to do exactly that. Loyal customers are not necessarily profitable ones. Customers that routinely sit in the club for 3+ hours after buying a V-bucket fare are not exactly driving profits. They are, as we speak, massively overhauling who they actually care about and who they don't.
Agreed. Loyalty now = Amex spenders. Not frequent main cabin flyers with tickets bought way in advance.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 4:25 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

I got run off from the Chicago club. I used the kiosk to check in and it presented me with a huge red display. Of course I protested and still got refused. The club was not busy at all. Anyway went across the hall to the pathetic Priority club. Drank some apple juice out of a baby can and ate some crap food for 45 minutes.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
I stupidly assumed it was a 3-hour time limit to use the club and showed up 3 hours before boarding. After a short instructional lecture and showing the appropriate level of remorse I got in. But 3 hours before flight departure effectively means not more than 2 hours 20 minutes in the club.

Then I went to delta.com and read the entry rules and requirements. Holey Moley. And I thought United was carcking too much by limiting access to Polaris to same day connections only
The 3-hour rule would be useless once someone is already in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.