Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I am pretty sure it doesn't. I think it is a consistent 40 minutes.
It definitely varies. 30-60 minutes is the range I’ve personally experienced.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How many SkyClub Lifetime members are there compared to the list of favorites DL’s GR folks put together? That some SkyClub users are getting preferential access to DL SkyClubs is more problematic when it is meant to curry political favor with those in a regulatory/legislative oversight/voting capacity. No less so when we are now in this environment where even a lot of international flying DL ElitePlus customers no longer get SkyClub lounge access despite not being the bulk of the crowding situation at SkyClubs.
no idea what this list you're talking about is, no idea how many lifetime club members there are, not sure what any of this means. No idea what the bending of STE+ access rules has to do with this, if you're mad about general steps to reduce overcrowding, ok, that's fine, do you have some sort of alternative plan?

if your point is "bribing legislators is bad in general and bad for citizen passengers" I would agree with that but you've taken a really long road to get to that point.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The 3 hour rule doesn’t massively reduce the crowds at the DL lounges, nor does the newest restrictions on DL lounge use by DL SkyTeam ElitePlus flyers. What would massively reduce the crowds is for DL to completely get off its greedy addiction to money from Amex. This thing with Amex goes to show that DL doesn’t really care as much about addressing the elephant in the room when it comes to crowding in the DL lounges, and DL is primarily playing this game of divide and conquer with DL lounge access so as to try to reduce its costs from lounge use while still being able to feed itself like a glutton courtesy of what Amex keeps sending it. Waivers and favors around the 3 hour rule, DL’s pettiness toward its ElitePlus flyers, and DL’s stance with regard to non-Medallions becoming SkyClub members — all that is just a sign of DL’s continuing insincere and inconsistent concerns about lounge crowding. It wouldn’t surprise me if DL itself were also pushing the images of massive lines outside some DL lounges in order to pursue the business course it wanted to purse even if there was no such crowding to photograph.
Spiff, ryw and physicsdude like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta 2MM DM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I don't know about everyone else but since Feb. 1, it seems to me that the clubs are less crowded. I've been in several clubs since Feb 1. Not once have I had to wait to get in. Granted they aren't empty, but to me it's a significant improvement over last year. What actions that have been taken to date seem to be working. Is there anyone here that's travelled since Feb. 1 and had to wait for any significant length of time to get in when within the 3 hour rule?
Keith2004 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
The 3 hour rule doesn’t massively reduce the crowds at the DL lounges, nor does the newest restrictions on DL lounge use by DL SkyTeam ElitePlus flyers. What would massively reduce the crowds is for DL to completely get off its greedy addiction to money from Amex.
From my experience, this happens a lot at DTW, but the past few weeks, I've been in some queues at BOS and LGA where a lot of people in front of me wave their Amex card to get in. The thing is, you can often see the difference between those who have Amex cards and those who have status/membership/in a premium cabin. Those with Amex cards often have a group of people enter with them, waste space by spreading out their stuff on other empty seats nearby, and create a mess.

The thing is, DL thinks that their SkyClubs are on-par with the Al-Mourjan lounge at DOH, Polaris lounges, or Flagship lounges but they're frankly not and need a reality check. Problem is, even if all of the people with status/membership/in a premium cabin stop using Sky Clubs, they'll still be packed with all of the Amex guests.
Spiff, GUWonder, jiburi and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FalconStng
I don't know about everyone else but since Feb. 1, it seems to me that the clubs are less crowded. I've been in several clubs since Feb 1. Not once have I had to wait to get in. Granted they aren't empty, but to me it's a significant improvement over last year. What actions that have been taken to date seem to be working. Is there anyone here that's travelled since Feb. 1 and had to wait for any significant length of time to get in when within the 3 hour rule?
Could be a whole bunch of things — beyond just the 3 hour thing and whatever else DL did publicly in addressing lounge crowding with published policy changes — that may explain a different lounge crowd experience this February compared to last February. It could even be that DL’s published policy changes may even be the least significant factor in your different crowding experience this February than in the prior one.
Spiff and physicsdude like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RK23
They followed the letter to the law but had the audacity to tell me to come back the next day. I filed a complaint but no response.
I've had no issue at same lounge with flight just after midnight. In past agents have told me as long as it's before 3am it's same day.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Turned away and sent to the "penalty box" outside in Los Angeles for being 15 minutes early. "Did my time" and then was admitted.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:10 am

Could be a whole bunch of things — beyond just the 3 hour thing and whatever else DL did publicly in addressing lounge crowding with published policy changes — that may explain a different lounge crowd experience this February compared to last February. It could even be that DL’s published policy changes may even be the least significant factor in your different crowding experience this February than in the prior one.
This is some strong cope. "Sure, the lounges may be less crowded, but that definitely can't be due to the changes Delta made to make them less crowded! Those changes impact me and are bad!"
ijgordon, WillBarrett_68 and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLHubber
This is some strong cope. "Sure, the lounges may be less crowded, but that definitely can't be due to the changes Delta made to make them less crowded!…..
If that were what I had said, then I would agree with your words above. But I suggest re-reading my post, as that is not what my post said.

Some lounges that were previously packed last February were less packed on comparable days this February. And those were lounges where there’s been no published policy changes related to crowding in the period since. In other words, observed changes in lounge demand between one period and the next are obviously not always a function of published policy changes to the access rules.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
If this has been asked before I apologize: here is the scenario i face next week:

I am doing an "up and back" same day in and out of Boston. I land at 800 am. have my meeting and then fly back out at 700 PM the same day.

Lets say my meeting ends at 200 PM and I heard back to the airport because I am pathetic and have nothing else to do.
- I know I cant use my 700 PM boarding pass because i am WAY early,
-HOWEVER could I use my boarding pass from earlier in the day to get in to the club? is there a cut off of having access to the club after arrival? Technically, I could have landed at 800, wandered around the gates, made a few calls, grabbed a bite and THEN headed to the club.

Not a hypothetical: this is what I am facing next week.
Thoughts?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
If this has been asked before I apologize: here is the scenario i face next week:

I am doing an "up and back" same day in and out of Boston. I land at 800 am. have my meeting and then fly back out at 700 PM the same day.

Lets say my meeting ends at 200 PM and I heard back to the airport because I am pathetic and have nothing else to do.
- I know I cant use my 700 PM boarding pass because i am WAY early,
-HOWEVER could I use my boarding pass from earlier in the day to get in to the club? is there a cut off of having access to the club after arrival? Technically, I could have landed at 800, wandered around the gates, made a few calls, grabbed a bite and THEN headed to the club.

Not a hypothetical: this is what I am facing next week.
Thoughts?
Do they have electronic check-in at BOS? I suspect the system would reject early arrival at club since flights would be on separate fare components, have separate check-in's, etc., but don't know for sure. If they have earlier flights, you could see if you could add yourself to standby list which would allow earlier entry into club even if you do not want to take earlier flight.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:59 am

Are both your flights on the same pnr? I would just show them your outbound boarding pass and say you landed and had a quick meeting in the airport. Your same-day arriving boarding pass has no cutoff time for admission.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Slightly off topic, but..

When standing by for an earlier flight (confirmed flight is over 3 hours out but standby flight is not), I'm not sure what the rule is.

The first time I did this (can't remember where), there was no issue.

The second time (MIA), the guy's scanner said no, but at the desk there was no issue.

Incidentally, the guy with the scanner did not know how to read a BP: he was trying to use my time departing from ATL (connecting point) as justification for denying me.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Slightly off topic, but..
When standing by for an earlier flight (confirmed flight is over 3 hours out but standby flight is not), I'm not sure what the rule is.
You should have access as caveated below, per DL’s website (Sky Club Access FAQ):

What if my ticketed flight is outside the three-hour window, but I’m standing by for a flight earlier in the day?
Club access is allowed in this case, provided customers intend to board the earlier flight if a seat becomes available.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.