Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Visconti
So, you surmise absent of DL's Amex relationship, it wouldn't be necessary to impose the 3-hour rule? Interesting perspective.
Necessary for what purpose?

DL being DL, their purpose is about improving their revenue and margins, not slashing revenues and eroding margins. Getting rid of the lounge crowding so as to make the lounges as “non-crowded” as in the 1990s? That’s not a recipe for growing revenues and avoiding margin erosion.

I call green-washing what it is. Here, DL is engaged in crowd-washing; and so I call crowd-washing what it is. Business exploiting public concerns as a means to make changes to improve the business’s financial performance and provide less service to customers in the aggregate while trying to bask in the halo of “we did this because we care about ______ [identify the exploitable customer concern]”.
Spiff, rylan, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 24, 2023 at 7:35 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I haven't been turned away yet for entering >3hr, but when I've been there early a few times its only been on the order of ~10 min.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
The three-hour rule in DL sky clubs is a Delta rule, not an amex rule. It applies to people entering on D1 tickets, with (annual) memberships, etc. It has nothing to do with the access method.
I think theres confusion (or i missed a post). I thought people have been posting how DL is just copying AMEXs access rule, which is 3 hours. Not that it was pushed by AMEX.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How would DL’s scanning of my boarding passes let DL know that I — someone without a DL Amex card — have Amex cards granting me DL lounge access in conjunction with my DL flights?
If it is on your Delta My Wallet, then it should automatically link.

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
My Plat is tagged to my DL account. One swipe of my BP and I'm in. Only time a card ever gets pulled out is when I'm traveling with Mrs. WS93. Since she's an AU, the card won't automatically show in her DL profile (At least that is the reason I've been given by DL)
This used to be the case. At least for AU Reserve cards, it now works for the AU user. Just have them add it to their DL My Wallet.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When DL raises membership fees, ...

DL has been advising everyone, including DMs with paid D1 tickets, to arrive four hours early at certain international airports. It would be very annoying for a D1 passenger to be denied access to an AF/KLM/VS lounge when the premium cabin passenger arrived on time and was able to get to the lounge in less than an hour for check in/baggage check, exit passport control, and airport security. In fact, I recently went from the airport door to the lounge in less than an hour when originating at AMS and CDG.

None of those are Skyclubs. Not sure what this is about. Outside US, HND is the only remaining Skyclub.

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Couldn’t you do a same day confirmed flight change to an earlier flight, enter the Sky club, and then switch back to your original flight to skirt the 3 hour rule?
Issue is there may not be space to move you back. There may not be inventory to move to another flight. However rule says Standby is good enough, as long as intend to fly it. (Basically don't do it too often (not take flight) and you'll be ok)

Originally Posted by Visconti
So, you surmise absent of DL's Amex relationship, it wouldn't be necessary to impose the 3-hour rule? Interesting perspective.
Yes. If one looks, DL is the only one with this issue. UA/AA don't have it, and they don't take non-UA/AA specific branded cards for access. AA or UA (don't remember which) got rid of their affiliation years ago for Citi/Chase/AMEX (whichever it was) non-AA/UA branded cards for this very reason.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:58 am

Some of us can enter SCs by multiple methods. When I have a D1 ticket and an AmEx Plat charge card or DL reserve card, am I one or the undesirables? Is your answer different when I'm taking a flight in domestic FC?

now you know what the definition of undesirables is. Undesirables it to anyone they got in anyway but the way the poster wants. Sky club rules should be written so that I can get in, but no one else can

And I like the fact that it’s the other people that are not behaving well in the sky club. It wouldn’t be Mr. diamond cowbell brag tap who spread out over five chairs with his stuff carrying on a conversation at the top of his voice so we all know how important they are 😂
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
In SEA SC right now. Came in on ICN-SEA DL-marketed KE-operated flight and had a separate ticket for SEA-RDU ~7 hrs later. Arrived at SC, scanned my SEA-RDU boarding pass, mentioned my inbound ICN-SEA flight, no issue at all although I was obviously way earlier before the 3-hr threshold for my SEA-RDU flight. In fact I volunteered to show the separate-ticket ICN-SEA boarding pass, but they didn't even need to see it (maybe they can see it in the system).
Old Feb 25, 2023, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MonAmQB
In SEA SC right now. Came in on ICN-SEA DL-marketed KE-operated flight and had a separate ticket for SEA-RDU ~7 hrs later. Arrived at SC, scanned my SEA-RDU boarding pass, mentioned my inbound ICN-SEA flight, no issue at all although I was obviously way earlier before the 3-hr threshold for my SEA-RDU flight. In fact I volunteered to show the separate-ticket ICN-SEA boarding pass, but they didn't even need to see it (maybe they can see it in the system).
Connections are exempt from 3-hour rule and they could see your inbound flight on your pnr.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Connections are exempt from 3-hour rule and they could see your inbound flight on your pnr.
As a separate ticket it most likely wouldn't have been on the same PNR as the scanned BP. That said, it's probable the system could see both PNRs if posters' SkyMiles number was in both.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by VFR
The Centurion lounge in Concourse C will let you in 3 hours before it closes at 9 pm, so that may be an answer if you are taking the late night flight again. You can get in with your Reserve card.
The Centurion Lounge in LAS wouldn't let me in until 3 hours before my flight, which was 30 minutes before they closed. Do you know if there's a published policy on that?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:54 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by sethb
The Centurion Lounge in LAS wouldn't let me in until 3 hours before my flight, which was 30 minutes before they closed. Do you know if there's a published policy on that?
See this page and expand the heading "When can I access the Centurion Lounge?"
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
https://www.thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/

"If your same-day outbound flight departs after the lounge closes for the day, we will admit you as early as 3 hours prior to the lounge closing, subject to available capacity."
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
As a separate ticket it most likely wouldn't have been on the same PNR as the scanned BP. That said, it's probable the system could see both PNRs if posters' SkyMiles number was in both.
Yes, system will see any flight in DL system for that day regardless of PNR.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 5:23 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
[...]There could also be an issue of "revenge" SC use: people think they're paying a big fixed fee for access, so they make a point of using lounges more frequently, for longer periods, and consume more F&B while in the lounge. [...]
I wouldn't be surprised if this accounts for a lot of the crowding issues, folks who feel like they're paying a higher fee now for access (whether through the credit card AF or annual membership) and want to make the "most" out of their now "free" access to the lounges.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by VFR
See this page and expand the heading "When can I access the Centurion Lounge?"
Thank you. So if the policy was the same back then, they were wrong. (And I know where to check if they try that in the future.)
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physicsdude
From my experience, this happens a lot at DTW, but the past few weeks, I've been in some queues at BOS and LGA where a lot of people in front of me wave their Amex card to get in. The thing is, you can often see the difference between those who have Amex cards and those who have status/membership/in a premium cabin. Those with Amex cards often have a group of people enter with them, waste space by spreading out their stuff on other empty seats nearby, and create a mess.
The only times I've had to show my Amex card to get in have been when I was flying nonrev (which is no longer admissible anyway). On a paid ticket, they just scanned my boarding pass and let me in.

So I doubt you saw "a lot of people" waving Amex cards.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
My Plat is tagged to my DL account. One swipe of my BP and I'm in. Only time a card ever gets pulled out is when I'm traveling with Mrs. WS93. Since she's an AU, the card won't automatically show in her DL profile (At least that is the reason I've been given by DL)
Mrs. sethb is an AU, has the card in her SkyMiles wallet, and doesn't have to show a physical card at the Sky Club.
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.