Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Are both your flights on the same pnr? I would just show them your outbound boarding pass and say you landed and had a quick meeting in the airport. Your same-day arriving boarding pass has no cutoff time for admission.
Yep same PNR. just no overnight. same day travel. I will try and see what happens!
thanks for the help
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The 3 hour rule doesn’t massively reduce the crowds at the DL lounges, nor does the newest restrictions on DL lounge use by DL SkyTeam ElitePlus flyers. What would massively reduce the crowds is for DL to completely get off its greedy addiction to money from Amex.
this is a good point, if the Amex relationship didn't exist, Delta would have been liquidated years ago and hence there would be no crowding issue at the clubs.

in any case, Delta can't just unilaterally end card access, they have contractual obligations. Also everyone raves about how nice the clubs are now, that's 100% due to Amex money.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by physicsdude
From my experience, this happens a lot at DTW, but the past few weeks, I've been in some queues at BOS and LGA where a lot of people in front of me wave their Amex card to get in. The thing is, you can often see the difference between those who have Amex cards and those who have status/membership/in a premium cabin. Those with Amex cards often have a group of people enter with them, waste space by spreading out their stuff on other empty seats nearby, and create a mess.
ah yes the classic "it's those OTHER people who are the problem, they're messy and carry diseases and they're ruining everything, the people like ME are very classy and never have guests or spread out or make a mess.

I see.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by mrboom
but if Delta can't give consideration to a MM / 10 year Diamond, with a Reserve card, .....
Just a rant and disappointed.
DEN also has AMEX Centurion Lounge also enforcing the 3 hour rules. My guess is they are enforcing the same rule for Centurion Lounge at Sky Club as you are using the same access method. Tho I could be wrong, AMEX could deny compensation to SC if swiped more than 3 hours.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Feb 22, 2023 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by physicsdude
From my experience, this happens a lot at DTW, but the past few weeks, I've been in some queues at BOS and LGA where a lot of people in front of me wave their Amex card to get in. The thing is, you can often see the difference between those who have Amex cards and those who have status/membership/in a premium cabin. Those with Amex cards often have a group of people enter with them, waste space by spreading out their stuff on other empty seats nearby, and create a mess.

The thing is, DL thinks that their SkyClubs are on-par with the Al-Mourjan lounge at DOH, Polaris lounges, or Flagship lounges but they're frankly not and need a reality check. Problem is, even if all of the people with status/membership/in a premium cabin stop using Sky Clubs, they'll still be packed with all of the Amex guests.
I'm pretty confident you have 0 idea in regards to who the people that spread out are. You couldn't possibly. You are just projecting some hate towards amex and your situation.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by audidudi
And by doing that, you are taking away the opportunity for a legitimate customer being able to possibly get a lower fare in that earlier flight if you booked the last ticket in a cheaper bucket! Nothing but selfishness IMHO! And why anyone needs to show up more than 3 hours before a non-connection flight just to get into a Sky Club baffles me!

because finding a way around the rules and bragging about it is classic don’t you know who I am

Demonstrating how you can be above the rules because your special is very common in this group
CalebMCO and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by mrboom
Read all of my posts. I understand the intent, but not allowing someone into an empty SC is ridiculous and a good way to turn loyal customers to other airlines.
Of course, it's silly to not let someone enter an entirely empty Skyclub five hours before their flight. (The stuff about being a Diamond/Million Miler shouldn't matter here - you're not using that to enter the club. Just DYKWIA.)

The discretionary argument gets murkier when it's not so clear-cut. What if the club's 50% full? What if it's 25% full and there's a block of flights about to come in that will quickly cause the club to be overcrowded? What if the SC manager told the gate agents to enforce this rule without any questions? The rules are the rules for a reason, and you knew what they were. That other SCs choose to bend those rules to accommodate you doesn't mean that the DEN SC is wrong to keep you out five hours before a flight, I'm sorry.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
this is a good point, if the Amex relationship didn't exist, Delta would have been liquidated years ago and hence there would be no crowding issue at the clubs.

in any case, Delta can't just unilaterally end card access, they have contractual obligations. Also everyone raves about how nice the clubs are now, that's 100% due to Amex money.
This. Delta would have been bankrupted several times over the last 20 years without AMEX.

How on earth would you know how these people who are spreading over seats or creating a mess gained access to the club?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Frozenguy
I'm pretty confident you have 0 idea in regards to who the people that spread out are. You couldn't possibly. You are just projecting some hate towards amex and your situation.
Agreed. I have lounge access via my AMEX and I can confidently state I’ve never “waved it around.” In fact, most people have them in their Apple Wallet now and all that’s required is a quick scan of one’s boarding pass. In 2023 there are fewer and fewer reasons to ever take one’s CC out of one’s wallet, much less wave it around.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
DEN also has AMEX Centurion Lounge also enforcing the 3 hour rules. My guess is they are enforcing the same rule for Centurion Lounge at Sky Club as you are using the same access method. Tho I could be wrong, AMEX could deny compensation to SC if swiped more than 3 hours.
The three-hour rule in DL sky clubs is a Delta rule, not an amex rule. It applies to people entering on D1 tickets, with (annual) memberships, etc. It has nothing to do with the access method.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ostatekitty
Agreed. I have lounge access via my AMEX and I can confidently state I’ve never “waved it around.” In fact, most people have them in their Apple Wallet now and all that’s required is a quick scan of one’s boarding pass. In 2023 there are fewer and fewer reasons to ever take one’s CC out of one’s wallet, much less wave it around.
How would DL’s scanning of my boarding passes let DL know that I — someone without a DL Amex card — have Amex cards granting me DL lounge access in conjunction with my DL flights?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by ostatekitty
My Plat is tagged to my DL account. One swipe of my BP and I'm in. Only time a card ever gets pulled out is when I'm traveling with Mrs. WS93. Since she's an AU, the card won't automatically show in her DL profile (At least that is the reason I've been given by DL)
MSPeconomist and ostatekitty like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
My Plat is tagged to my DL account. One swipe of my BP and I'm in. Only time a card ever gets pulled out is when I'm traveling with Mrs. WS93. Since she's an AU, the card won't automatically show in her DL profile (At least that is the reason I've been given by DL)
Have you tried to putting her card in her My Delta profile under saved Payment Methods? This is basically the only way DL can associate card with the flyer as additional cards have your SM number on them, not theirs.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
It's already saved as a form of payment in her SM account. Is there something else I need to do?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
It's already saved as a form of payment in her SM account. Is there something else I need to do?
Just echoing comments from others that I have seen. Have yet to try it out as just recently got additional card for spouse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.