Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
This hasn't happened to me yet because my new home airport (CLE) doesn'td have a SkyClub, this happened to my sister-in-law's husband, a 5 MMer. He is a regular at the DCA SkyClub and all the staff there know him by name and sight.

The rule seems easy for the club staff to enforce; the computer tells them whether the club member is more than 3 hours away from scheduled departure at the originating airport. Management must have told club staff, no waivers, no favors. Here is another area where I don't blame staff, I blame management.
I would be okay if they amended to rule and added an extra hour for every MM starting at 2MM

"Hey now that you are 3MM you can enter the SkyClub at 5 hours before departure so if you're 5MM you can show up a whole 7 hours early"
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The question remains:

Is it no waivers and no favors on this for the US Congresspersons (Senators and Reps) wanting to use the SkyClub at DCA?

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
is this something you've actually seen? IME people who are this busy don't have time to just twiddle their thumbs in a lounge for three hours, they will arrive at the airport like 2 minutes before boarding and go straight from car to TSA to gate.
There are different sorts of US citizens who are currently seated members of US Congress, and what is busy and what being busy means has changed a lot with these folks too. Over the years, I’ve seen US Senators and Reps in NW+DL lounges too — sometimes being there even way longer than me. And that includes when flying DL out of DCA.
Spiff and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are different sorts of US citizens who are currently seated members of US Congress, and what is busy and what being busy means has changed a lot with these folks too. Over the years, Ive seen US Senators and Reps in NW+DL lounges too sometimes being there even way longer than me. And that includes when flying DL out of DCA.
Sure, there are obviously cases where someone can end up in the lounge for a while (delays, cancellations, connecting - all of which are not subject to the three-hour rule). This is different than showing up to the airport half a day before your flight is scheduled.
wrp96 and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I never understood why some treat the lounge like a Michelin start restaurant and want to spend tons of time there.
mbluecpa, cre95, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:10 am
Suspended

Sure, there are obviously cases where someone can end up in the lounge for a while (delays, cancellations, connecting - all of which are not subject to the three-hour rule). This is different than showing up to the airport half a day before your flight is scheduled.
And yet all of the above including federal legislators showing up at airline lounges more than 3 hours before scheduled flight at point of trip origination/destination for the day has happened. What Ive never seen although maybe it also has happened at times is a US Senator or Rep using the lounges at DCA while connecting at DCA as a DL (or NW) passenger.

Does anyone happen to know if the DL lounge reps have been instructed to not apply this rule to US federal legislators at DCA or if the practice is to grant them waivers and favors in this regard too?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I assume many (but not all) congresspeople are flying AA since the DCA hub has connectivity to many state capitals and other large cities. The folks from Georgia may be on Delta but with a UA hub at IAD as well, I'm guessing DL has the smallest percentage of the big 3 for Gov't pax into/out of DC.
All depends on which airline said Congress-people can work in a perimeter rule exemption for.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And yet all of the above including federal legislators showing up at airline lounges more than 3 hours before scheduled flight at point of trip origination/destination for the day has happened.
amazing that it took all of this tooth-pulling to get you to actually answer the question of whether you had seen this. I suppose you checked with their staff to confirm their itineraries?

thanks
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
All depends on which airline said Congress-people can work in a perimeter rule exemption for.
I want to know how much grease got put on the wheel to get AA to agree to a BTR-DCA flight
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I never understood why some treat the lounge like a Michelin start restaurant and want to spend tons of time there.
US lounges I agree with you.

Lounges of the carriers-EK F/LH F, etc, they are as good if not better than Michelin stared restaurants with all the amenities (spa, day use cabanas, etc).
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:41 am
Suspended

amazing that it took all of this tooth-pulling to get you to actually answer the question of whether you had seen this. I suppose you checked with their staff to confirm their itineraries?
Given this question remains unanswered:

“Is it no waivers and no favors on this for the US Congresspersons (Senators and Reps) wanting to use the SkyClub at DCA?”

I take it that my respectfully responding to non-answer responses to my question isn’t the issue as much as a profound dislike for the question about whether DL has a policy where some SkyClub users are less equal than other SkyClub users with regard to the 3 hour rule. Thus, it’s not amazing that there is all this tangential “what have you seen”, “how do you know” or “whom do you know” downstream banter, even as all of that is irrelevant to the question asked — a question for which there must be a factual answer no matter how much the question about the 3 hour rule is disliked.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Any airline not on a sanctions list, if interested.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 21, 2023 at 9:47 am
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:48 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Some of the lounges are actually quite decent in terms of food and some have local twists. Chicago hot dogs at ORD. Kringle and brats at MKE. Ironically, I found food at ATL pretty boring, DTW pedestrian and LGA hit-or-miss but getting better.

Sometimes it's the ability to relax and get work done especially if you have a late flight.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:57 am

Would you still think it "makes more sense" to use boarding time if they set the limit at two hours?
Yes, of course it would make more sense. You're completely missing my point just because you want to argue.

If they're going to have a time limit, then it makes more sense to have a time limit that's actually fully usable. And the only way to do that is to have it be from boarding instead of departure. They could make it an hour for all I care.
ostatekitty likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLHubber
Yes, of course it would make more sense. You're completely missing my point just because you want to argue.

If they're going to have a time limit, then it makes more sense to have a time limit that's actually fully usable. And the only way to do that is to have it be from boarding instead of departure. They could make it an hour for all I care.
How about they make it 2hrs 20min? Would that work?

Oh, since boarding seems to be calculated as 40min from departure, I guess that makes it 3 hrs from departure which is what Delta did. Everybody is now happy
indufan likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:30 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Willie: "But officer, I was only driving two miles over the speed limit."

Officer: "Sorry sir, rules are rules. Here's your ticket. Have a nice day."

Willie: "That sucks."

Officer: "I agree with you. But those whiz kids at city hall figured out that we'd have more monetization if we strictly enforced the speed limit. It's an enhancement, or so they said, but a lot of people don't like it. And I feel like a jerk enforcing it but, hey, this way I'm a jerk to everyone. No favors, no waivers. The speed limit sign is plainly posted so you knew what the rules are and, you know, rules are rules."

Last edited by Dick Ginkowski; Feb 21, 2023 at 11:47 am
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777
US lounges I agree with you.

Lounges of the carriers-EK F/LH F, etc, they are as good if not better than Michelin stared restaurants with all the amenities (spa, day use cabanas, etc).
Sure, those lounges are very nice, but still not somewhere I'd get to the airport 5 hours early just to use. I had an 8-hour layover in Qatar last year and, while the lounge was nice, I would rather have been on my way to my final destination so I could start my vacation.
wrp96 and WillBarrett_68 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.