FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2112347-who-been-turned-away-sky-club-3-hour-rule.html)

mrboom Feb 19, 2023 9:17 pm

Who been turned away from a Sky Club with the 3 hour rule?

I have a 00:30 flight out of DEN on Monday. Not much to do in Denver on a Sunday evening so I got to the airport early to get some work done.

Go up to the SC about 5 hour prior to departure It's completely empty. I'm turned away because I cannot enter earlier than 3 hours prior to departure. ...?

I completely understand the intent of the rule with the over crowding and long lines everyone saw over the summer, but an empty SC?

​​​​​I used to be 1k on United. I really don't want to switch again, but if Delta can't give consideration to a MM / 10 year Diamond, with a Reserve card, then they probably won't be giving consideration on much anymore.

Just a rant and disappointed.

VFR Feb 19, 2023 9:27 pm

The Centurion lounge in Concourse C will let you in 3 hours before it closes at 9 pm, so that may be an answer if you are taking the late night flight again. You can get in with your Reserve card.

You didn't miss much in the DEN Sky Club though.

Both the time limit and cutting GM/PM/DM access have been short-sighted in my opinion. It's shown people that Delta's only real loyalty is to Amex.

mcjava Feb 19, 2023 10:19 pm

Got the same treatment at LAX for flight to Vietnam -- Sunday, nothing to do, got to airport 4.5 hours early. I had not even heard of this new rule, so shocked.

Spent 1 hour sitting on the bench outside the new big club, then they let me in at 3.5 hours instead of 3 hours. it was king of busy but certainly not people lined up to get in busy.

I agree, this really is frustrating, especially for once a day flights that sometimes it's easier to go to the airport early. Like, I have to check out by noon or 1 pm, flights at 5:30pm. But I guess I'll be seeing more benches unless they change this rule. An easy chance is if the club is busy? if not, let us in? I do spend on premium drinks so earlier entrance means more Duckhorn sold.

mrboom Feb 19, 2023 10:52 pm

I figured there was discretionary enforcement or the ability to give consideration.

The fact that the SC was empty. Not even a mouse is the part that bothers me.

​​​​​​Again, the crowds over the summer were the worst I'd ever seem. If ithe SC were full, I'd have no problem waiting.

uanj Feb 20, 2023 2:45 am

Originally Posted by mrboom (Post 35024831)
I have a 00:30 flight out of DEN on Monday. Not much to do in Denver on a Sunday evening so I got to the airport early to get some work done.

Go up to the SC about 5 hour prior to departure It's completely empty. I'm turned away because I cannot enter earlier than 3 hours prior to departure. ...?

I completely understand the intent of the rule with the over crowding and long lines everyone saw over the summer, but an empty SC?

​​​​​I used to be 1k on United. I really don't want to switch again, but if Delta can't give consideration to a MM / 10 year Diamond, with a Reserve card, then they probably won't be giving consideration on much anymore.

Just a rant and disappointed.

I stupidly assumed it was a 3-hour time limit to use the club and showed up 3 hours before boarding. After a short instructional lecture and showing the appropriate level of remorse I got in. But 3 hours before flight departure effectively means not more than 2 hours 20 minutes in the club.

Then I went to delta.com and read the entry rules and requirements. Holey Moley. And I thought United was carcking too much by limiting access to Polaris to same day connections only

mrboom Feb 20, 2023 3:26 am

I never had this issue at any other airport or SC. Just landed in ATL with a 4 hour layover and they let us in without question.

ATL SC's have always been considerate. Very glad it seems to be a couple isolated lounge attendants in DEN.

WillBarrett_68 Feb 20, 2023 3:57 am

Originally Posted by mrboom (Post 35025287)
I never had this issue at any other airport or SC. Just landed in ATL with a 4 hour layover and they let us in without question.

layovers are specifically not included in the 3-hour rule, it's your initial departure, not your next segment

in any case, to answer OP's question, I have not run into this simply because I would never chose to arrive at the airport more than 60 minutes before departure.

WillBarrett_68 Feb 20, 2023 3:59 am

"obviously the rules shouldn't apply to ME"

mrboom Feb 20, 2023 4:41 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 35025318)
"obviously the rules shouldn't apply to ME"

Read all of my posts. I understand the intent, but not allowing someone into an empty SC is ridiculous and a good way to turn loyal customers to other airlines.

Gig103 Feb 20, 2023 4:52 am

Not at the Sky club (haven't tried), but using Priority Pass I've definitely been asked to wait. And I'm sharing because I can see the rationale even though I don't support it - the PP lounge was empty when I got there and when I was ultimately admitted, but the crowds built up. In fact when my wife arrived they were at capacity but I was already inside, or she would have been turned away. I guess my point is, they probably find it easier to be consistent especially since nobody polices once you are inside.

sydneyracquelle Feb 20, 2023 5:20 am

I’ve been successful getting into SC much earlier standing by for an earlier flight I have no intention of taking. You can also buy a dummy DL/ST ticket to anywhere that departs earlier and then just cancel it. “My travel plans changed”.

Gasolin Feb 20, 2023 5:34 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 35025437)
I’ve been successful getting into SC much earlier standing by for an earlier flight I have no intention of taking. You can also buy a dummy DL/ST ticket to anywhere that departs earlier and then just cancel it. “My travel plans changed”.

That sounds like such an insane thing to do, but if it's fully refundable and it can be cancelled right away, sure. Doesn't Delta flag you at some point?

TechMarauder Feb 20, 2023 5:40 am

This happened to me in PHL late last year. There were about 10 people in the club and I couldn’t get in at 3.5 hrs before flight.. on a Saturday. It wasn’t the end of the world but they are following the rules.

Orange County Commuter Feb 20, 2023 6:23 am

And the reason they have to stick to the rules...

"I got turned away" followed by "Mr X" Well they let me in

Next step DYWIA toddler hissy fit "people with made up names on Flyertalk got in early, LET ME IN"

To those of you upset... feel free to take your toys and storm off to another airline. (Honestly based on the number of disgruntled posters on flyertalk who are unhappy I am honestly surprised they had to do this. They should have no elite members any longer :) )

DLATL777 Feb 20, 2023 6:47 am

Yeah its a bummer but you cannot really have leeway like that as It creates a slippery slope and that will lead to disaster. For example, you say "empty" and another poster says "10 people" about their respective experience. So if they are going to show leeway, how about 11 people? 9? 15? 4? Where does the line get drawn? Whats considered "empty" enough to bend the rules?

As much as DL sucks-Ill stand behind on this.