Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manually
Sorry I am not 100% understanding you. The flight IS marketed by Delta (WS metal), but that same flight is $45 check on WS. Based on the fact it is marketed by Delta, can I get in without the $39 because I purchased via WS? There will be others in the party that will have a Delta issued premium ticket.
No. You have to actually purchase the DL marketed version of the flight with DL coding on flight to get access. You won't get access for free if you purchase the same flight as a WS marketed flight directly from WS. Just because a DL marketed version of the flight happens to exist doesn't mean you get access.

Also, if your fellow party members are on DL or WS marketed premium cabin WS flights to Canada, they won't have Sky Club access. Only Delta One marketed flights and WS Business class flights (only offered on WS long-haul international routes) provide for Sky Club access.
ijgordon and manually like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 15, 2022 at 10:01 am
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Would I be allowed into the Sky Club with a guest if I’m flying US to Canada with my SM info in the record, but also have ST Elite Plus status through ITA? Would I need to put the ITA info into the record to get in, or could I just show my card and still accrue SkyMiles?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrw00
Would I be allowed into the Sky Club with a guest if I’m flying US to Canada with my SM info in the record, but also have ST Elite Plus status through ITA? Would I need to put the ITA info into the record to get in, or could I just show my card and still accrue SkyMiles?
They'll likely want to scan your BP to verify status. I don't think they've accepted simply flashing a card as a valid form of entry for a number of years.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:57 pm

Here’s a new one I haven’t heard before. ATL F SC Dec 16 at 3pm ET. Loudspeaker announcement comes on to the entire SC that cups and glasses are not permitted in the restrooms.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by xliioper
They'll likely want to scan your BP to verify status. I don't think they've accepted simply flashing a card as a valid form of entry for a number of years.
well when the boarding pass says nothing, I finally got in flashing a very old card (that said lifetime)

Yup it tuned out I was trying to get in using my wife' boarding pass and nobody realized my mistake. Not only that but to me, the only way to get in without a Delta boarding pass while flying another airline is via use of the card
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
well when the boarding pass says nothing, I finally got in flashing a very old card (that said lifetime)

Yup it tuned out I was trying to get in using my wife' boarding pass and nobody realized my mistake. Not only that but to me, the only way to get in without a Delta boarding pass while flying another airline is via use of the card
Yes, you have a somewhat unique situation with a lifetime Sky Club membership (which doesn't require a flight on DL or partners for access). Non-lifetime, mere mortals need to show (and almost certainly have scanned) a BP for entrance with a same-day flight on DL or Skyteam partners for those with STE+ status on international flights. I suspect how much resistance one might get when crediting to one program and using status on another may vary with lounges (and perhaps how full they are).

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 17, 2022 at 10:21 am
Old Dec 17, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
My company is full of SkyTeam and Delta passengers. Every talk recently is about the insanity with this upcoming changes. Basically, Delta will treat its alliance airlines' passengers and AMEX card holders better than its more loyal paid butt-in-seat passengers. Our strategy has been shifting our spending to one of the SkyTeam partners, since most of our high dollar spending are with international flights. And ironically, it's easier to earn STE+ status with the other partner airlines...

One of my friend works for a ST partner airline in Asia and she is telling me that they may follow and ban Delta passengers in their lounge when connecting in their hubs, to save money. I guess they don't get a lot of money for each visitor. If this happens, Delta's decision will hurt the entire SkyTeam alliance.

Our other strategy is switch the entire company to United. Even our harden United hater is coming around because of Delta's repeated erosion of benefits. Our United rep is really maximizing this opportunity and probably thanking god for this.

Last edited by wlau; Dec 17, 2022 at 7:44 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:27 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by wlau
One of my friend works for a ST partner airline in Asia and she is telling me that they may follow and ban Delta passengers in their lounge when connecting in their hubs, to save money. I guess they don't get a lot of money for each visitor. If this happens, Delta's decision will hurt the entire SkyTeam alliance.
I would not put it past Delta to go for "product consistency" and disallow GM/PM/DM in Y on any SkyTeam airline from accessing partner lounges (but keep access for W). It would surprise me more if non-DL STE+ was excluded.

It's going to be a wildly inconsistent experience in any case:

- Currently: A PM flying ATL-LHR-ATL in Y gets no lounge in ATL but access to the wonderful VS lounge in LHR.
- If partner lounge access is cut: A Sky Club member flying JFK-AMS-JFK gets lounge access in JFK but not on the way back in AMS.

The solution to me seems to be to build Sky Clubs in LHR/AMS/CDG/ICN... but they just eliminated most of the foreign Sky Clubs.

I don't believe that elites without credit card lounge access are going to buy up to W just so that they can access a lounge (W often costs twice as much as Y).
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by VFR
The solution to me seems to be to build Sky Clubs in LHR/AMS/CDG/ICN... but they just eliminated most of the foreign Sky Clubs.

I don't believe that elites without credit card lounge access are going to buy up to W just so that they can access a lounge (W often costs twice as much as Y).
I agree with your comments. The strange thing is Delta just build a very very nice Sky Club in Tokyo Haneda. I had the pleasure (real pleasure) of visiting that SC multiple times in the last few weeks. I think there is a real shot at Delta losing PM DM and MM to other airlines.

Sky Club's overcrowding is from the credit card holders. I know AMEX is very important to DL. I think they could at least adjust the STE+ status to include just PM and DM and eliminate GM. This whole change will impact Delta more than they will realize. I am a MM and unless DL does something, I am very sure I will switch alliance next year/next month.

I think the real solution is to build another premium lounge like UA and AA. This is basically what all other global airlines do.

This is not about being entitled or anything like that. It's about surviving your flight. The food service on international flights have been cut so much that the portion is embarrassingly small. My seatmate on a recent flight told me he was shocked how little food DL serve compare to ANA and JAL on the same route.

And you are right about buy up to W. The cost difference is too large. If our company agrees to fare jump, we might as well be non-alliance flyers and just buy the heavily discounted J on whatever airline with the lowest fare. Right now, the service and food have not really returned to an acceptable level to warrant this type of pricing.
GagaPilot and VFR like this.

Last edited by wlau; Dec 17, 2022 at 7:45 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
Delta is not cutting off partner airlines sky priority flyers from the Delta lounge. Thus, Sky team partner airlines have no reason to cut off Delta Sky priority customers from their own lounges flying international. But I agree that Delta has really hit its own elite loyal flyers by a double whammy of increasing MQD for elite status and cutting off DM from lounge access while flying international unless flying Delta One.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by upnorth
Delta is not cutting off partner airlines sky priority flyers from the Delta lounge. Thus, Sky team partner airlines have no reason to cut off Delta Sky priority customers from their own lounges flying international. But I agree that Delta has really hit its own elite loyal flyers by a double whammy of increasing MQD for elite status and cutting off DM from lounge access while flying international unless flying Delta One.
The solution for everyone that DL wants to promote is very simple for US based travelers. Get a reserve card. You never even have to charge anything on it. Not even once. But it gets you SC access when flying DL/ST.
Adelphos and Synapseturquoise like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 17, 2022 at 8:50 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:48 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by wlau
Sky Club's overcrowding is from the credit card holders. I know AMEX is very important to DL. I think they could at least adjust the STE+ status to include just PM and DM and eliminate GM. This whole change will impact Delta more than they will realize. I am a MM and unless DL does something, I am very sure I will switch alliance next year/next month.

I think the real solution is to build another premium lounge like UA and AA. This is basically what all other global airlines do.

This is not about being entitled or anything like that. It's about surviving your flight. The food service on international flights have been cut so much that the portion is embarrassingly small. My seatmate on a recent flight told me he was shocked how little food DL serve compare to ANA and JAL on the same route.
I think that they are more likely to nix SkyTeam/JV lounge access entirely for all elites instead of just taking it away from GM. They did not carve out an exception for high-tier elites when they took away third party lounge access a few years ago.

They have announced Delta One lounges in JFK and LAX. They also seem to be building a second entrance to the A satellite lounge in BOS, which given it is about 200 ft away from the current entrance, I have to assume is to segregate the sides into a Sky Club and a Delta One lounge. I think this will help, especially in JFK, but they need larger Sky Clubs too.

I've also found Delta's drink service and meal service in long haul Y to be disappointing compared to other carriers. I think the marketing department promised less food of better quality, but the quality did not appreciably improve, and I despise the bamboo utensils. I have not flown PS yet, but it seems odd to me that they seem to be serving very similar food in disposable packaging there. I eat beforehand and eat on the flight as well.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:07 pm

"lounges are too crowded, delta should do something"

(delta does something)

"NOT THAT!!!"
DELee, Adelphos and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
"lounges are too crowded, delta should do something"

(delta does something)

"NOT THAT!!!"
I'll be happy to lead a revolt and provide a sign next to the lounge door. Maybe that

would cause a scene and attract rebellion or the cops Who's in?
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Apologies for a basic question, but does DL consider Canada to be international for Medallion SC access purposes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.