Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Apologies for a basic question, but does DL consider Canada to be international for Medallion SC access purposes?
Not according the attendants at SEA.
JayRich likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by VFR
I've also found Delta's drink service and meal service in long haul Y to be disappointing compared to other carriers. I think the marketing department promised less food of better quality, but the quality did not appreciably improve, and I despise the bamboo utensils. I have not flown PS yet, but it seems odd to me that they seem to be serving very similar food in disposable packaging there. I eat beforehand and eat on the flight as well.
PS has the same food as main cabin, exactly the same - not a thing more.. not even extra snacks. DL is dropping the ball everywhere. That pre-arrival egg muffin sandwich has zero taste and DL doesn't even include salt or something. I got so freakin' scared and thought I caught COVID onboard and lost my taste. But no, it was just the tasteless soggy mess...

Delta actually copied down to United - of a larger side + main and ice cream. With United, you at least get bread and butter and they give you a hot pre-arrival meal, not a lousy sandwich.

Delta's wokeness also alarmed me. The new bamboo utensils are too flexible and hard to use. In Asia, they've long ago stopped making chopsticks using bamboo because it's very environmentally unfriendly. Delta is late to the trend... I don't know if those are disposed off or washed. If they are washed and reused, the plastic ones are far more effective. For bamboo and wood, if they are not laminated, water-washing will cause water absorption into fibers and cause mold to build up. The utensil I saw on my recent flights are not laminated...

Last edited by wlau; Dec 20, 2022 at 6:56 pm
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wlau
PS has the same food as main cabin, exactly the same - not a thing more.. not even extra snacks.
This is no longer true. There are still two meal choices, but they are no longer the same offerings as main cabin. They are also now using metal cutlery in PS.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34765033-post2237.html
VFR likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Not according the attendants at SEA.
Then they would be wrong. Canada is included and I've had success multiple times bringing a guest on when flying to Canada (will be sad when those days are gone in Feb). I would have fought the SEA agents on that.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Then they would be wrong. Canada is included and I've had success multiple times bringing a guest on when flying to Canada (will be sad when those days are gone in Feb). I would have fought the SEA agents on that.
Yes, it's true that Canada is international for the purposes of STE+ Sky access. The only exception is the Caribbean for STE+ Sky Club access. While DL STE+ will lose access when flying coach to Canada starting in Feb, they will still have access if they happen to get upgraded to FC (must be both STE+ and in FC as access when simply flying in DL international FC cabin was dropped some time ago).
Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, it's true that Canada is international for the purposes of STE+ Sky access. The only exception is the Caribbean for STE+ Sky Club access. While DL STE+ will lose access when flying coach to Canada starting in Feb, they will still have access if they happen to get upgraded to FC (must be both STE+ and in FC as access when simply flying in DL international FC cabin was dropped some time ago).
I guess upgrades during the 5-day window get you SC access but day-of upgrades at the gate do not.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 19, 2022 at 7:44 pm
Old Dec 19, 2022, 5:15 pm

Planning my transportation to HND for my return flight home January 5th and wanted to confirm how early I can enter the new Skyclub before my flight (PM D1). Is it 3 hours before like US clubs or something else +/-?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slobass
Planning my transportation to HND for my return flight home January 5th and wanted to confirm how early I can enter the new Skyclub before my flight (PM D1). Is it 3 hours before like US clubs or something else +/-?
As it is a real DL operated Sky Club and not a third party lounge, I would fully expect them to abide by DL Sky Club rules. There may be some slack in how close you can cut it, but I wouldn't show up 5-6 hours before flight just assuming they will let you in.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:24 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
As it is a real DL operated Sky Club and not a third party lounge, I would fully expect them to abide by DL Sky Club rules. There may be some slack in how close you can cut it, but I wouldn't show up 5-6 hours before flight just assuming they will let you in.
It's Japan, I would expect them to follow the policy exactly.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:58 pm

This is no longer true. There are still two meal choices, but they are no longer the same offerings as main cabin. They are also now using metal cutlery in PS.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34765033-post2237.html
I just came off those flights... PS just stopped using the silver plastic cutlery and changed to the bamboo wrapped in funeral-black table clothes thingie. You do get meal choices, just like Main... but again they are Main cabin meals, not D1's or something inbetween.

By the way, my flights post-date that menu card in the link, so I think my experience is rather current.

DL clearly didn't think this through or involved their Asian team members when they updated the serving ware, especially for international flights. I love to see how the new funeral-black things and (long phased out craze of) bamboo utensil do on Asian routes.
smartytravel likes this.

Last edited by wlau; Dec 20, 2022 at 7:14 pm
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by slobass
Haneda check-in for the flight opens exactly 3hr ahead of departure time (but I was on the first DL flight of the day). Also, Haneda just rolled out the stupid new security check like some US airports. They can simultaneously take 3 or 4 people at once, to put their stuff on the belt for x-ray, but then all the items are interleaved, so once you get scanned yourself, you have to wait much longer to collect your items that are interleaved with other people's stuff at the other end. I requested all my stuff continuously, but the agent refused - they explained to me in Japanese that it's more "fair" to let everyone's stuff to go a little bit at a time, even though it clogs up people at the other end. The new x-ray system can't seem to render or inspect in 3D. They had me open my computer bag and pull out all my chargers and cables, one by one, to be scanned linearly in sequence . I literally have the same things for my travel computer bag for the last 5 or 6 years, and what they can scan all-at-once from before, now seems to be problematic for the new system. And I am one of those guys that neatly roll up all my cords and wires.

The only time-saving thing now is the biometric immigration process, so you scan your passport, they biometric you and you go... that entire process is like 10 seconds.

After you go through all that, you don't get a lot of time in Sky Club...

I went in and out of HND multiple times in the last couple of months and it's slow every time, no matter the time of the day.

Last edited by wlau; Dec 20, 2022 at 7:19 pm
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just came off those flights... PS just stopped using the silver plastic cutlery and changed to the bamboo wrapped in funeral-black table clothes thingie. You do get meal choices, just like Main... but again they are Main cabin meals, not D1's or something inbetween.

By the way, my flights post-date that menu card in the link, so I think my experience is rather current.

DL clearly didn't think this through or involved their Asian team members when they updated the serving ware, especially for international flights. I love to see how the new funeral-black things and (long phased out craze of) bamboo utensil do on Asian routes.
There are multiple recent PS reports that contradict your experience. It's possible there was a catering issue with your flight or they have not rolled it out systemwide, but a single experience does not negate multiple experiences to the contrary.
https://news.delta.com/treat-yoursel...premium-select

"DPS menu options will include meals like braised beef short rib with fingerling potatoes and dijon green peppercorn jus; Impossible™ Meatballs with polenta, pomodorini sauce and broccolini; honey harissa chicken thighs with jollof rice and stewed greens; and for dessert, mango mousse with mango passion fruit compote. Customers will be served their main courses on bagasse plates made from sugarcane plant fiber, with linen tableware and napkins, silver flatware and glassware."

At any rate, this really has nothing to do with Sky Club access policies and really belongs here -- Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition
FabCW and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I realize this will put me in a very hated subgroup, but I thought I'd ask anyway

Does anybody have clarification on whether the (Unbranded) Amex Platinum Charge Card will still have access while flying Delta after Feb 2023? I found the explanation on the website and email to be a little vague. I'm assuming the Amex Delta Reserve will still have access, but it was unclear to me if other cards that currently have access will continue to have access.

In my defense, I don't think I've ever used the card for access. I had a SkyClub Membership that was "suspended" while DM included SkyClub Membership. So I used that after I stopped being DM and the last year of the Before Times (and in the After Times) I mostly flew international so got access as STE+
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I realize this will put me in a very hated subgroup, but I thought I'd ask anyway

Does anybody have clarification on whether the (Unbranded) Amex Platinum Charge Card will still have access while flying Delta after Feb 2023? I found the explanation on the website and email to be a little vague. I'm assuming the Amex Delta Reserve will still have access, but it was unclear to me if other cards that currently have access will continue to have access.

In my defense, I don't think I've ever used the card for access. I had a SkyClub Membership that was "suspended" while DM included SkyClub Membership. So I used that after I stopped being DM and the last year of the Before Times (and in the After Times) I mostly flew international so got access as STE+
Unbranded Amex Plat will still have access to Sky Clubs on DL operated flights (plus DL marketed flights that are operated by WS). Flights don't have to be DL marketed, but they do have to be DL operated (other than the WS exception -- other partner operated flights don't qualify even if DL marketed). Absolutely no change to current policy (other than the charge going up for guests). The DL Reserve Amex card is less restrictive in access terms as any DL marketed (or operated) flight qualifies. If flight is partner operated, but not DL marketed, they can still enter, but they are charged an entry fee.
TheMadBrewer likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 22, 2022 at 6:02 am
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Unbranded Amex Plat will still have access to Sky Clubs on DL operated flights (plus DL marketed flights that are operated by WS). Flights don't have to be DL marketed, but they do have to be DL operated (other than the WS exception -- other partner operated flights don't qualify even if DL marketed). Absolutely no change to current policy (other than the charge going up for guests). The DL Reserve Amex card is less restrictive in access terms as any DL marketed (or operated) flight qualifies. If flight is partner operated, but not DL marketed, they can still enter, but they are charged an entry fee.
If Delta is going to make a tweak to the new access rules, it should probably be to allow Delta marketed JV codeshares access on the Amex Platinum.

Seems like a major oversight to block access to passengers who chose to purchase the AF or KLM flight over the DL flight at places like DTW. Especially when Delta markets these JV flights as being interchangeable.
TheMadBrewer and VFR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.