Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist
Hi all!

I’m a Platinum Medallion flying MSN - MSP - YYC - MSP - MSN, and would love to check out the new MSP sky club!

I used RUCs to upgrade to first on the entire trip, so I have a confirmed First class ticket, which should get me access to the SkyClub in MSP on the way from MSP - YYC.

However, I can’t find a clear answer if this will also be the case on the way back, since this will be a Canada-US flight. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to access the SkyClub in MSP during my layover since I have a First class “international” ticket and am Platinum Medallion?

Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by WaterBottle18
Hi all!

I’m a Platinum Medallion flying MSN - MSP - YYC - MSP - MSN, and would love to check out the new MSP sky club!

I used RUCs to upgrade to first on the entire trip, so I have a confirmed First class ticket, which should get me access to the SkyClub in MSP on the way from MSP - YYC.

However, I can’t find a clear answer if this will also be the case on the way back, since this will be a Canada-US flight. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to access the SkyClub in MSP during my layover since I have a First class “international” ticket and am Platinum Medallion?

Thanks!
You should have access according to the rules, which state STE+ including DL elites in F to Canada/Mexico/non-Caribbean international flights get SC access.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
If one is DL Gold or above and fly in Y without an AMEX with SC, will they have SC access when flying Canada/Mexico-USA (connecting before arriving at the final destination)? For example, YYC-MSP-ATL or MEX-ATL-MSP.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by lsquare
If one is DL Gold or above and fly in Y without an AMEX with SC, will they have SC access when flying Canada/Mexico-USA (connecting before arriving at the final destination)? For example, YYC-MSP-ATL or MEX-ATL-MSP.
DL Gold and up flying in Y/C+ will not have SC access without a SC membership or qualifying Amex, regardless of where they're flying.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhdl
DL Gold and up flying in Y/C+ will not have SC access without a SC membership or qualifying Amex, regardless of where they're flying.
I thought an international itinerary permitted SC access?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:32 am

I thought an international itinerary permitted SC access?
That's for non DL STE+ members to be able to use the SC in international Y. DL GMs need to be in FC.

I think it's stupid but again we're talking about one of the US3 here.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physicsdude
That's for non DL STE+ members to be able to use the SC in international Y. DL GMs need to be in FC.

I think it's stupid but again we're talking about one of the US3 here.
Doh! I got confused. Thanks.

What about SCs outside the US like the one in Tokyo?
tagline likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:40 am

Doh! I got confused. Thanks.

What about SCs outside the US like the one in Tokyo?
I think the only non-US SC is Tokyo.

A lot of the DL SC agents get this confused as well as and would always try to deny me access if I decide to head to an SC before a hop over to YYZ/YUL.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 11:26 am

Lounge access on arrival with AmEx Platinum

I understand that customers with AmEx Platinum may access the Sky Club when traveling on "same-day ticket" on Delta-operated flights.

What if I'm flying from LAX-HND. Is it still considered as same-day ticket even though you depart on one day and arrive on a different day ? Can I access the Sky Club in HND upon arrival ?

Thanks much!

Last edited by joe.diep; Jun 15, 2023 at 11:34 am
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by joe.diep
I understand that customers with AmEx Platinum may access the Sky Club when traveling on "same-day ticket" on Delta-operated flights.

What if I'm flying from LAX-HND. Is it still considered as same-day ticket even though you depart on one day and arrive on a different day ? Can I access the Sky Club in HND upon arrival ?

Thanks much!
I believe that upon arrival in HND it is not possible to access a departure lounge such as the SkyClub as arriving passengers are directed to customs/immigration and then the terminal exit (unless connecting to an onward international flight).
Adam1222 and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by joe.diep
What if I'm flying from LAX-HND. Is it still considered as same-day ticket even though you depart on one day and arrive on a different day ?
Technically, yes. While I've never done it, a good friend who's done SFO-JFK way too many times always went to the club at JFK in the morning to freshen up and have coffee before heading out. I'd just take a screenshot of your boarding pass unless you have a paper one, since the app BP "vanishes" quickly.
Aside from the overnight thing, club access on arrival with the Amex card has worked for me, before and after the access changes.

Originally Posted by mnbp
I believe that upon arrival in HND it is not possible to access a departure lounge such as the SkyClub as arriving passengers are directed to customs/immigration and then the terminal exit (unless connecting to an onward international flight).
This.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:25 pm

Good point, I didn't consider the herding of arriving passengers through customs & immigration.

Last edited by joe.diep; Jun 15, 2023 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
SkyTeam partner arrival in paid J

hey all,

I'm arriving in JFK on Skyteam partner Saudia, in paid J. Saudia arrives in terminal 1. Can I access the SkyClub in T-4 after landing from SV?

The access verbiage on delta.com talks about "STE+ benefits are provided at the departure airport, not the arrival airport" ... however this access is because of the paid J, not via being STE+.
Those rules only mention "same day INTL first or business class ticket on a SkyTeam operated flight" but also "must be confirmed in first or business class for all segments of their journey."

All segments in the Saudi PNR are confirmed in J. But my next JFK-ATL is a seperate ticket on B6. Worst case I think I could use the AMEX Centurion lounge in T4 via my AMEX PLAT cc, and provide both inbound and connecting BPs, as they don't have a time limit for connecting passengers. But I'm wondering about the SC access as well, based solely off the Saudia arriving J ticket.

thx!
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
I'm arriving in JFK on Skyteam partner Saudia, in paid J. Saudia arrives in terminal 1. Can I access the SkyClub in T-4 after landing from SV?
According to SkyTeam rules, no.

All First and Business Class passengers traveling on, or connecting to/from, a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline have access to a lounge. Lounge access will be provided only at your departure and transfer airports, and not on arrival.

For connecting customers, both the domestic and international flights must be operated by a SkyTeam member airline and all segments need to be booked in First or Business Class. Simply present your First or Business Class boarding passes for the lounge agent to validate for admission.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
hey all,

even if the rules allowed it, you wouldn't be able to physically get to the club anyway unless you have an onward skyteam flight from JFK (in which case, the rules actually would permit access).
PurdueFlyer and ohhleary like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.