Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
If Delta is going to make a tweak to the new access rules, it should probably be to allow Delta marketed JV codeshares access on the Amex Platinum.

Seems like a major oversight to block access to passengers who chose to purchase the AF or KLM flight over the DL flight at places like DTW. Especially when Delta markets these JV flights as being interchangeable.
Yes, it does seem pretty inconsistent and seems like it would catch people off guard pretty frequently. It makes me wonder if the restriction is really actively enforced. Or perhaps many also have DL STE+ and are just getting in that way when flying partners. Of course that's going to change in February if they are flying coach (or maybe not if DL still provides access when DL STE+ are flying partner coach).

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 22, 2022 at 8:28 am
Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:25 am

If Delta is going to make a tweak to the new access rules, it should probably be to allow Delta marketed JV codeshares access on the Amex Platinum.

Seems like a major oversight to block access to passengers who chose to purchase the AF or KLM flight over the DL flight at places like DTW. Especially when Delta markets these JV flights as being interchangeable.
there is no chance DL is going to add access to anything they aren't contractually obligated to right now
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
there is no chance DL is going to add access to anything they aren't contractually obligated to right now
Right, but this seems like an oversight when they wrote the rules. Their intention is to encourage folks to pick up the Amex Platinum, and this hole in the rules is going to undermine that push.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 1:13 pm

the number of people who find out about this corner case before pulling the trigger on this card and then change their mind has to be single digits
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:16 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I don't expect most people will comprehend that a DL*/VS, DL*/KL, DL*/AF, or DL*/KE flight will not get Sky Club access with an Amex Platinum... until they are at the Sky Club and are told that being an Amex Platinum-holding Diamond Medallion flying Comfort+ to London does not get them Sky Club access.

However, I don't expect Delta/Amex to change the policy. I think they will position the only guaranteed way to get lounge access to be buying Delta One.
MSPeconomist and KDCAflyer like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 4:45 pm

As of right now (end of 2022, before all the rules change), is it possible to "stack" card benefits to bring in more than two people?

I will be traveling with my spouse and my three kids. I am a Plat, a Delta Reserve cardholder and an AmEx (non-Delta) Plat cardholder. Obviously, there is overlap/doubling of benefits between those two cards.

I also have one Sky Club voucher left in My Wallet.

I have a feeling the answer is "no," or at best, "it depends on the agent at the club reception desk, and how crowded the club is at the time" but is there any confirmed way to leverage the two cards to get four guests in? Like, present my DL Reserve for two guests, and then present my AmEx Plat for the other two guests?

Please and thank you.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by squirk
As of right now (end of 2022, before all the rules change), is it possible to "stack" card benefits to bring in more than two people?

I will be traveling with my spouse and my three kids. I am a Plat, a Delta Reserve cardholder and an AmEx (non-Delta) Plat cardholder. Obviously, there is overlap/doubling of benefits between those two cards.

I have a feeling the answer is "no," or at best, "it depends on the agent at the club reception desk, and how crowded the club is at the time" but is there any confirmed way to leverage the two cards to get four guests in? Like, present my DL Reserve for two guests, and then present my AmEx Plat for the other two guests?

Please and thank you.
The T&C's only allow one form of access to be used so you're out of luck using both.

Either the Reserve or AMEX Platinum allows you to bring your immediate family (spouse & children, 21 or under) for $39 each. Children under 2 YO are free.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

Added: Your voucher is still good for 1 admission.
squirk likes this.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Dec 22, 2022 at 5:40 pm Reason: Added voucher info
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
I don't expect most people will comprehend that a DL*/VS, DL*/KL, DL*/AF, or DL*/KE flight will not get Sky Club access with an Amex Platinum... until they are at the Sky Club and are told that being an Amex Platinum-holding Diamond Medallion flying Comfort+ to London does not get them Sky Club access.

However, I don't expect Delta/Amex to change the policy. I think they will position the only guaranteed way to get lounge access to be buying Delta One.
Yeah. This is an easy fix for them to make that has a minimum impact on crowding and avoids pissing off a bunch of people randomly.

The people who make the lounge rules are completely out of touch and this issue probably never crossed their minds. Case in point was the rollback of the arrival access policy.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
The T&C's only allow one form of access to be used so you're out of luck using both.

Either the Reserve or AMEX Platinum allows you to bring your immediate family (spouse & children, 21 or under) for $39 each. Children under 2 YO are free.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

Added: Your voucher is still good for 1 admission.
Thanks. Looking at the Delta site re: Reserve card holders - "two guests or spouse/domestic partner and children under 21 for an exclusive per-visit rate of $39 per person"

Two of my kids are under 21. So......could I use the voucher for my 21-y.o. son, and get my wife and two younger kids in via "spouse/domestic partner and children under 21"?

The language is a little ambiguous, but it seems like there's no "cap" on the number of under-21 kids. Delta could have just said "two guests" and left it at that, but they made the distinction for spouse/kids under 21 for a reason.......

I have gotten so used to club access flying solo for work, the concept of waiting at the gate has become totally alien to me now.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by squirk

Please and thank you.
Enter with 2 guests. Leave them in there. Then go back out and re-enter with other guest(s) using a machine or a different agent. I do this all the time to get 6 guests in. Machines and busy SCs are best for this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 22, 2022 at 8:54 pm
Old Dec 22, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
I agree, but the point I was responding to was that this policy is likely to lower the uptake rate of the card. the scenario you're describing only occurs after they sign up.
VFR likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Enter with 2 guests. Leave them in there. Then go back out and re-enter with other guest(s) using a machine or a different agent. I do this all the time to get 6 guests in. Machines and busy SCs are best for this.
I like the way you think, but sadly, the MSY lounge is pretty small, does not use machines, and has only one agent/one desk in the foyer.

I called the Delta Platinum desk, and, FWIW, they confirmed that I could get my wife and my two younger kids in using my Reserve benefit, and then use my one-time pass for my 21-y.o. kid.

I’ve found the Plat phone reps to be of far better quality in terms of knowledge than the chat reps, so here’s hopin’…….
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM

That sort of thing has been around a while. I remember not being allowed to enter the LAX WorldClub when flying a NW ticketed KLM flight back in the day. Memory is hazy, but I am pretty sure I was trying to use Amex Plat. I remember dropping my WorldClub membership when I got the Amex Plat and actually bought a (United) Red Carpet Club membership because I thought (falsely, it turned out) I would be doing a lot of LAX-DEN.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL- PM, AA-PlatPro
I'm always confused at lounge access in this scenario-

Platinum Medallion with Reserve card flying on LATAM economy on a LATAM issued ticket- Access to SkyClub at JFK?

I believe the answer is "no" as LATAM is not a SkyTeam member

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:37 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by rmp_king
I'm always confused at lounge access in this scenario-

Platinum Medallion with Reserve card flying on LATAM economy on a LATAM issued ticket- Access to SkyClub at JFK?

I believe the answer is "no" as LATAM is not a SkyTeam member

Thanks for your help!
I believe the answer is yes, due to being a PM. The non-SkyTeam partner benefits are poorly documented.

Of course, it’s unclear what will happen to elites flying partner economy fares after February 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.