Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:01 am

Question You can use up to 5 eCredits per passenger?

Please clarify the statement "You can use up to 5 eCredits per passenger".

Does that mean:
the maximum number of eCredits that one person can apply to one flight is 5, or instead:
the maximum number of eCredits that can be displayed and valid for use in one person's Skymiles profile is 5?

Thank you for a reply. I'm accumulating credits for ticketed flights due to fare reductions.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL
buy-up price difference based on status?

Hello-
1st post, hope it makes sense.
The family and I are traveling to FLL out of MSP between the holidays. We have 2 different PNRs. I am with my daughter on one PNR and the other three are on the other PNR (i am not sure if this is important for my question). I was looking at the buy-up for me to first from main cabin. I am a platinum and no one else has status in the group. The buy-up was 670 $. No thanks, Ill Pass. My son is close to making FO so I signed into his account (he is a minor) to see if he will make it with the up coming trip. I pulled up his trip and his upgrade price was 204 $. Hmm. I guess I was a bit surprised by this. Is this a common practice? It seems like this would have an affect about how status members would view the benefits of having "status". My loyalty is being used against me!
I paid cash for his ticket and mine and used miles and companion certs for the others. I am 145 MQDs away from diamond, now I am wondering if I was a diamond if my buy-up would have cost 900$.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by SteveOh
I upgraded from the blue card to the gold card a few months ago in response to a bonus miles offer. Then, about a month ago I get another offer in the mail - to upgrade to platinum - and I hadn't yet completed the gold bonus offer!

Well, last week I completed the gold bonus offer and got my 40k miles. And... this platinum upgrade offer says it is valid until Jan 8. I'm tempted to take the platinum upgrade offer. I have six months to spend $3000 which is doable over a holiday season. I'll get a $200 statement credit at that time, and additional 50k miles.

This all seems a bit too good to be true, that I could get two bonuses within the same year. Any gotchas I should be aware of? TIA
Following up - yes the offer is legit but I am passing on it. I could make the spending requirements but I’m not a frequent flyer for this airline and destinations I’d likely fly to are either inexpensive or better served by a different airline. So in the end I’d have very little benefit in exchange for a much higher annual fee.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by paul_from_losangeles
Please clarify the statement "You can use up to 5 eCredits per passenger".

Does that mean:
the maximum number of eCredits that one person can apply to one flight is 5, or instead:
the maximum number of eCredits that can be displayed and valid for use in one person's Skymiles profile is 5?
It means, the maximum number of eCredits that one person can apply to one flight is 5. I'm not aware of a limit to the number of eCredits you can have in your account. If there is a limit, I would think it is a theoretical limit that no one would ever hit.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mykidissmarterthanyou
Hello everyone. Quick question-I have a $200 off $1000 Amex offer for Airfrance on my delta amex card. I'm in the market for a couple of RT tickets on delta to london next summer but am hesitating to book through AF. Is it the same pretty much as booking through delta? I want the app upgrade offers and the ability to change the flight if I need to, would I have to do that through AF or will the reservation automatically get transferred to Delta and my only interaction with AF is at the initial booking? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
You might want to consider booking AF operated flights under AF flight numbers through AF, i.e., TATL nonstop to CDG followed by a short connecting flight CDG-LHR. Af tend to offer cheap upgrades to its own customers, although your odds of upgrading might be better if you install and frequently check the AF app rather than waiting to ask at the airport. Check the AF forum for recent data points on availability and prices being offered by AF for these upgrades.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Hi - I am not a DL flyer so not sure about this question my friend has... She is flying IAD-XXX (domestic US) first class. She has the AMEX DL business reserve credit card. As there is no DL lounge at IAD can she use the AF lounge? I am not sure of her status - she was Platinum or Diamond at one time (maybe lifetime?)

My take is usually that you have no access to lounges when flying domestic F, but that is my UA/AA experience.

Any help info would be appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Hi - I am not a DL flyer so not sure about this question my friend has... She is flying IAD-XXX (domestic US) first class. She has the AMEX DL business reserve credit card. As there is no DL lounge at IAD can she use the AF lounge? I am not sure of her status - she was Platinum or Diamond at one time (maybe lifetime?)

My take is usually that you have no access to lounges when flying domestic F, but that is my UA/AA experience.

Any help info would be appreciated.
No she will not be able to use the AF Lounge at IAD as Domestic FC does not come with Lounge access and the DL Reserve AmEx is not good for partner lounges.

If she has Priority Pass, that would enable access to the AF lounge.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
No she will not be able to use the AF Lounge at IAD as Domestic FC does not come with Lounge access and the DL Reserve AmEx is not good for partner lounges.

If she has Priority Pass, that would enable access to the AF lounge.
What about if she has status with DL?

My knowledge of the lounge is through Priority Pass... it is quite a nice lounge.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fwfdan
What about if she has status with DL?

My knowledge of the lounge is through Priority Pass... it is quite a nice lounge.
Status only matters on an international itinerary. As a Gold/Platinum/Diamond, which translates to SkyTeam Elite Plus status, you get Lounge access on qualifying international itineraries, but still no access for Domestic tickets.

If she is a Diamond Medallion and has a SkyClub membership as one of her Choice Benefits, I believe the SkyClub membership would grant access to partner lounges.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:41 pm

Status only matters on an international itinerary. As a Gold/Platinum/Diamond, which translates to SkyTeam Elite Plus status, you get Lounge access on qualifying international itineraries, but still no access for Domestic tickets.

If she is a Diamond Medallion and has a SkyClub membership as one of her Choice Benefits, I believe the SkyClub membership would grant access to partner lounges.
Thanks... I will pass along the info
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SteveOh
I upgraded from the blue card to the gold card a few months ago in response to a bonus miles offer. Then, about a month ago I get another offer in the mail - to upgrade to platinum - and I hadn't yet completed the gold bonus offer!

Well, last week I completed the gold bonus offer and got my 40k miles. And... this platinum upgrade offer says it is valid until Jan 8. I'm tempted to take the platinum upgrade offer. I have six months to spend $3000 which is doable over a holiday season. I'll get a $200 statement credit at that time, and additional 50k miles.

This all seems a bit too good to be true, that I could get two bonuses within the same year. Any gotchas I should be aware of? TIA
In the USA, there's a consumer "protection" regulation saying that your credit card annual fee cannot be increased during the first year. It implies that you cannot upgrade to a more expensive card within a year. I'm not sure whether a recently upgraded card is covered by the regulation or not. If it is, you wouldn't be able to upgrade a card twice in one year. [IIRC AmEx sometimes sends special offers to cardmembers who aren't eligible.]
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:27 am

Is Comfort Plus worth it?

I will soon book RDU-JFK-LIS and BCN-JFK-RDU. Debating between main cabin and Comfort Plus. $300 more per person for Comfort Plus. Not sure if it's worth it. Was thinking about Premium Select until I saw it cost twice as much as CP. We are not cheap, just want to get what we pay for. CP has a little more leg room, "dedicated" storage though what's to stop anyone from putting their bags there, earlier boarding, maybe an amenity kit, pillow and blanket etc. I did read the Delta FAQ but it's not very useful, focusing more on upgrading and paying for it.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
I will soon book RDU-JFK-LIS and BCN-JFK-RDU. Debating between main cabin and Comfort Plus. $300 more per person for Comfort Plus. Not sure if it's worth it. Was thinking about Premium Select until I saw it cost twice as much as CP. We are not cheap, just want to get what we pay for. CP has a little more leg room, "dedicated" storage though what's to stop anyone from putting their bags there, earlier boarding, maybe an amenity kit, pillow and blanket etc. I did read the Delta FAQ but it's not very useful, focusing more on upgrading and paying for it.
My own opinion is that if C+ is $300 more and PS is $600 more than Main Cabin, that the better deal would be upgrading to PS for the better seat and product. C+ is basically more legroom and they advertise slightly more recline, but otherwise the same seat. Same seat width as a standard Y seat. PS is a wider seat, better recline, and other amenities. Of course it all depends on how you value $600.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:04 am

My own opinion is that if C+ is $300 more and PS is $600 more than Main Cabin, that the better deal would be upgrading to PS for the better seat and product. C+ is basically more legroom and they advertise slightly more recline, but otherwise the same seat. Same seat width as a standard Y seat. PS is a wider seat, better recline, and other amenities. Of course it all depends on how you value $600.
Sorry I did NOT make that clear.

Main cabin $900
Comfort plus $1200
Premium select $2400
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
Sorry I did NOT make that clear.

Main cabin $900
Comfort plus $1200
Premium select $2400
Gotcha now. That certainly changes the Calculus.

What you could do is pay for either Main Cabin or C+ now and then later see if you get a buy-up offer in the App or in the “Manage Trips” that’s more reasonable than the $1500 difference between Y and C+ or the $1200 difference between C+ and PS.

For me at my height, C+ for $300 would be worth it. If you’re not tall and legroom isn’t much of an issue in a standard Y seat, the $300 savings may be better.

Another option is if you’re sitting on a heap of Skymiles and have the Pay With Miles option, you could buy Main Cabin and use 30K miles via “Pay with Miles.”

You could also continue buy either Y or C+ now and then continue to monitor prices and if the fare for PS drops to a price you’d be willing to pay, either upfare online or via a phone call (not sure if int’l tickets still have change fees; if the ticket would have change fees, you would likely need to call to upfare while having the change fee waived due to buying up).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.