Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Spending $30,000 on a DL Reserve card would give the MQD waiver and 15,000 MQMs (versus 10,000 MQMs for $25,000 spend on a DL AmEx Plat credit card) in addition to lounge access.

However, if someone already has the unaffiliated AmEx Plat charge card, that enables lounge access when flying DL.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: JB Mosaic 4, DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Which program would be better depends on what you would value out of status and how you’d obtain it.

Qualifying:
AA is moving to a new system that is all spend based, with the ability to gain status via CC spend and/or spend on tickets. If you can put $30K on a qualifying AA credit card, you can be AA Gold without even setting foot on an AA plane. Conversely DL still has MQM/MQS requirements along with the spend requirement (MQDs) or you’ll need to get the MQD waiver, which will require $25K in spend on a qualifying DL-co branded AmEx. If you put $25K on a DL Platinum AmEx, you’d also get 10K MQMs and would only need an additional 15K MQMs from flying to hit Silver.

In terms of benefits with status, I think DL Silver is more worthwhile than AA Gold. As an AA Gold, you won’t get upgraded complimentary on any flight over 500 miles. You’d have to buy upgrade stickers. On DL, even if rare, depending on your routes and travel days, you could still get upgraded complimentary as a Silver. An additional pro fo DL is that unlike AA, the exit rows on many DL aircraft are “Preferred” seats, not Comfort Plus, which you can select at booking. On AA, the exit rows are part of Main Cabin Extra, which requires AA PLAT to be able to get at booking.

If you’d fly/spend enough or be able to put enough spend on an AA Credit Card to hit AA PLAT, the calculus starts to change. AA PLAT gets MCE at booking while DL Gold doesn’t get Comfort Plus at booking. You only get complimentary access beginning 72 hours out on DL as a Gold. But as an AA PLAT, you still fall under the 500 mile limit for complimentary upgrades and have to buy and use stickers for longer flights while DL would give you complimentary upgrades. Both AA PLAT and DL Gold would at least have an elevated level with partners if you’d do any international travel.

For JAX specifically: one plus to DL is DL serves ATL-JAX with very high frequency which will be great for schedules. JAX also has a DL SkyClub while AA does not have an Admirals Club at JAX. My guess is CLT is AAs most served destination in terms of frequency from JAX.
As a fairly new DL Silver member (got it Jan of 2020 - first flight wasnt till July of 21), I can say that we have gotten upgraded multiple times on our flights (2 different trips PVD-LAS, 1x PHX-BDL) and got upgrades 2 out of 3 times. Granted thats not alot of data points, but so far I'm pretty happy. Additionally, if your getting any miles in this year, they will roll over into next year for DL and I'm over 50% of the way to Gold which means I will get that status next year. I've been pretty happy with Delta the past 2 years other than the price of their award flights in contrast to other partners.
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Last edited by Daremo999; Dec 6, 2021 at 11:40 am
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Having trouble booking an award ticket (LAX -> LHR -> CDG, Fall of 22, 6 pax, 120k miles on VS/AF). I get the "Oh No, We're Sorry But There Was a Problem Processing Your Request" whenever I try. I've retried with different credit cards, and actually get a notification non my Amex app that the charge has gone through, but that's it. I've had similar issues and had to call in for the booking with 6 pax in the past, but the call center is down.

I'm waiting in line to message a CS rep, but any other tricks to try and get this to go through? If it matters, I can't seem to select seats for the LHR -> CDG leg on AF.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Daremo999
As a fairly new DL Silver member (got it Jan of 2020 - first flight wasnt till July of 21), I can say that we have gotten upgraded multiple times on our flights (2 different trips PVD-LAS, 1x PHX-BDL) and got upgrades 2 out of 3 times. Granted thats not alot of data points, but so far I'm pretty happy. Additionally, if your getting any miles in this year, they will roll over into next year for DL and I'm over 50% of the way to Gold which means I will get that status next year. I've been pretty happy with Delta the past 2 years other than the price of their award flights in contrast to other partners.
A recommendation for you - DO NOT CLEAN THE DOG DOO THAT'S APPARENTLY STUCK TO YOUR SHOES!!!

It might be that DL's trying to suck you in to a long term relationship with those UG's.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride and this Forum.

Great happenings for an FO (this Forums abbr for a DL Silver).
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by atourgates
Having trouble booking an award ticket (LAX -> LHR -> CDG, Fall of 22, 6 pax, 120k miles on VS/AF). I get the "Oh No, We're Sorry But There Was a Problem Processing Your Request" whenever I try. I've retried with different credit cards, and actually get a notification non my Amex app that the charge has gone through, but that's it. I've had similar issues and had to call in for the booking with 6 pax in the past, but the call center is down.

I'm waiting in line to message a CS rep, but any other tricks to try and get this to go through? If it matters, I can't seem to select seats for the LHR -> CDG leg on AF.
What you could be seeing is what's known as "Phantom availability" - the system is returning fares/prices that aren't really there. It can be quite frustrating. Sometimes the agents at DL even see it too but when they book, they run into the same issue and when they go to book, the partner inventory isn't actually there to pull from and then ticket. I had this happen when trying to book an award that involved a VS leg a few years ago (it was a on-way FCO-LHR-JFK on AZ/VS). Eventually one agent was able to get it to go through and I got the itinerary I wanted. If the chat doesn't work, you can try calling and providing what you see to an agent to see if they see what you see. If they also see it but are having trouble booking it, they can reach out to the SkyTeam/Joint Venture desk to see if that group can provide assistance in booking it (IIRC, that's what it took to get my VS award booked a few years ago)
atourgates likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
What you could be seeing is what's known as "Phantom availability" - the system is returning fares/prices that aren't really there. It can be quite frustrating. Sometimes the agents at DL even see it too but when they book, they run into the same issue and when they go to book, the partner inventory isn't actually there to pull from and then ticket. I had this happen when trying to book an award that involved a VS leg a few years ago (it was a on-way FCO-LHR-JFK on AZ/VS). Eventually one agent was able to get it to go through and I got the itinerary I wanted. If the chat doesn't work, you can try calling and providing what you see to an agent to see if they see what you see. If they also see it but are having trouble booking it, they can reach out to the SkyTeam/Joint Venture desk to see if that group can provide assistance in booking it (IIRC, that's what it took to get my VS award booked a few years ago)
Thanks for the info .

Finally got through to a chat agent who was able to help me (albeit with some hiccups related to not being able to see the cards I had saved in My Wallet for the fees, make sure you have a card set as "Primary" if you're trying to do this).

At first the agent said there was no Business award seats available on the AF flight, but they could put us on a flight a couple hours later. I said fine (nothing wrong with a few hours in a SkyTeam lounge in LHR) - but then said that after she placed a hold on the other flight, award space "opened up" on the original flight I was trying to book online. I wonder if something I'd done to try and book the award online had placed a hold on those seats?

The agent also noted that "there was a pricing error, but I was able to honor the amount quoted online and get it processed for you." So not sure what specifically that meant.

Anyway, chat cleared it up, and I'm excited to be able to rebook with the Skymiles I had saved up from a COVID-cancellation nearly 2-years ago. Fingers crossed that this is a trip we'll be able to take. Our last transcon was on VS Upper Class, and I really enjoyed it. Especially when the steward asked, "Will you be dining with a companion this evening?" - and then setup my seat so I could eat with my daughter.

Looking forward to more of that.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Will my MQD waiver tracker reset to $0 at the end of 2021?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:28 pm

Anyone know how I can tell if the 767-300 i'm flying will have the new updated seats?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bta15
Will my MQD waiver tracker reset to $0 at the end of 2021?
Yes. However, remember that MQDs are earned only when you fly the actual segments. Anything scheduled to depart at 11:59 pm or earlier on December 31st in the local time zone of the departure airport) will count as 2021 (regardless of when it lands or any flight delays), while segments scheduled to depart after midnight will count for 2022. [The same rules apply in theory to MQS and MQM earning, but all MQMs roll over this year.]
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:59 pm

I'm looking at a CMH-KUL itinerary in DTS that's a listed as an "Other Gov't fare" and shows up with the Delta icon but the the first leg is on a DL flight and JFK-HND-KUL is on UA. How exactly does this earn mileage? Delta on the first leg and the UA on the others?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA operates neither JFK-HND nor HND-KUL, so you must be missing something.

If the operating carrier is not a listed partner, you will not earn any DL credit for that segment. If, say, the segments are operated by NH you could likely add a *A FFP and earn for those segments there.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:01 pm

If it's a government fare, I would expect USA airline codeshares (flight numbers, marketed by a USA airline) on all but the most obscure segments. With what airlines does UA have codeshares for these segments? UA is *A, so to me that suggests ANA as the operating carrier to/from Tokyo. If it's not the same carrier operating the flight segments to/from HND, look carefully to see whether a terminal change is involved. If so, check the COVID-19 rules set by Japan for this, as you might need to have documents to "enter" the country even though HND currently allows overnight connections.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:59 am

I'm taking my mother to Savannah for her birthday but want it to be a surprise until the date gets closer. Is there a way to attach her SkyMiles number to the reservation without her finding out? Will she be automatically notified? Also, she has the Delta Gold Amex card and I don't, would we only get the free checked bag benefit if she is listed first on the reservation? Any help would be appreciated, I'm a newbie to all this stuff. Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:46 am

findark and MSPeconomist, you are correct, the JFK-HND flight is UA 7909 and operated by NH as NH 109 and while I don't remember the HND-KUL flight number, I'm 99.9% sure that's going to be a NH flight as well.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kevinn
I'm taking my mother to Savannah for her birthday but want it to be a surprise until the date gets closer. Is there a way to attach her SkyMiles number to the reservation without her finding out? Will she be automatically notified? Also, she has the Delta Gold Amex card and I don't, would we only get the free checked bag benefit if she is listed first on the reservation? Any help would be appreciated, I'm a newbie to all this stuff. Thanks!
She won't be emailed unless you include her email on the reservation but if you attach her Skymiles #, she'll see the reservation in the App if/when she loads the DL App.
kevinn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.