Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dave1378
Hi all,
Newbie Silver medallion member here, I booked a mixed cabin roundtrip intl trip with the way out being main cabin and returning in PS. My app was telling me that I get SP on the way out as well, but the counter agent told me I was mistaken and then changed me in the system, and gave me a printed boarding pass. Anyone have any experience on whether I shouldve been priority? I ended up paying over $200 more in baggage fees because of this agent, so wondering if its an additional problem she caused. Also- if my ticket came with one free bag and I hold the Amex delta gold, does that apply on intl trips?
I'm confused. Are you asking about PS = DL's Premium Select (premium economy) cabin or SP = SkyPriority?

$200 seems like a lot for bags unless some were oversized or overweight, although DL practice is that if you get N bags free, the N+first bag is charged at the price for bag N+1, not bag 1. For instance if the prices for your itinerary are $35 for the first bag and $50 for the second bag and you're entitled to one free bag but check two bags, you will pay $50, not $35.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused. Are you asking about PS = DL's Premium Select (premium economy) cabin or SP = SkyPriority?

$200 seems like a lot for bags unless some were oversized or overweight, although DL practice is that if you get N bags free, the N+first bag is charged at the price for bag N+1, not bag 1. For instance if the prices for your itinerary are $35 for the first bag and $50 for the second bag and you're entitled to one free bag but check two bags, you will pay $50, not $35.
I am flying premium select on the return leg but was main cabin on the outbound. My Delta app showed sky priority for the outbound leg but the counter agent printed me a new boarding pass that didnt say SP on it. I was wondering if you get SP for both legs of a mixed cabin trip.

Additionally I paid $200 extra in baggage fees on top of what I was supposed to pay originally which was $200 for a fifth bag, as my Delta flight receipt said 2 checked bags per passenger (4 total) but the counter agent told me I had to pay for 3 (only 1 free per passenger) of them, Ive had no luck getting a refund through delta as all CSRs just tell me that they cant help me due to the craziest excuses, and Im wondering if anyone has knowledge/ experience in who I can contact

Update: I finally got through to a rep that contacted corporate customer care to get me the refund- Im still curious about mixed cabin trips if the lower cabin is eligible for sky priority, if anyone knows.

Last edited by Dave1378; Dec 21, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM
In addition to lounge access (with one guest--if the guest isn't traveling with you on the same flight, I think there's a requirement of a SkyTeam same-day departure--who officially must leave the lounge when you do) on international itineraries, SkyPriority means special check in lines and (especially important at CDG) special lines for passport control and security. Sometimes these special lines at CDG are signposted as Acces No.1 and sometimes as SkyPriority.

Normally I just show my boarding pass and passport to enter lounges on international itineraries. IIRC ElitePlus should be printed to the boarding pass. Previously, one would sometimes be asked to show an elite FF card, so it would be wise to make sure that you can pull up your GM card on your phone if needed. I'm not sure whether DL will send you a physical GM card.

Most partners give access to third party contract lounges that they use for their business class passengers, but if you're accessing a lounge on the basis of a DL segment in coach, C+ or PS, DL won't let you use third party lounges (meaning not operated by a partner airline and not a SkyTeam lounge). Also, most partners provide lounge access only for departing and connecting passengers, not upon arrival (with the exception of the landside AF arrivals lounge at CDG).
Thanks! I'm traveling with my wife so guest access shouldn't be a problem since we're on the same reservation.

For some reason Air France's website shows my Flying Blue member number and won't let me change it to SkyMiles, so I'm guessing I need to contact them to update my frequent flyer info so I can get the Elite Plus/Sky Priority benefits though.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by VacationMode
Thanks! I'm traveling with my wife so guest access shouldn't be a problem since we're on the same reservation.

For some reason Air France's website shows my Flying Blue member number and won't let me change it to SkyMiles, so I'm guessing I need to contact them to update my frequent flyer info so I can get the Elite Plus/Sky Priority benefits though.
As a rule of thumb, if you book through AF/KL and want to credit to DL (which you need to do in order to leverage your DL elite benefits), do not make the booking or ever pull up the reservation while logged in to your FB account or you risk having it overwrite with your FB number, which could be what happened here. Hope you can get them to change it easily, after which, follow the same advice
MSPeconomist and tearex like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
As a rule of thumb, if you book through AF/KL and want to credit to DL (which you need to do in order to leverage your DL elite benefits), do not make the booking or ever pull up the reservation while logged in to your FB account or you risk having it overwrite with your FB number, which could be what happened here. Hope you can get them to change it easily, after which, follow the same advice
I get they'd want to favor their own FF program, but sucks they'd overwrite what I've input previously. I'll just have to find a day with no meetings when I can sit on hold for a while to call in. Fortunately I have a few months before travel to get it updated (hopefully)
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's important to get that FB number removed from the record. If there's no FF number, you can ask DL to give you credit after the trip, but once you get FB miles from AF, it's effectively impossible to reverse. The end result is that you wouldn't be able to get any credit to your DL account (including MQMs and MQDs as well as redeemable miles).
VacationMode likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by VacationMode

Use another SkyTeam website like Saudia to pull up your ticket number via "Manage Booking". Delete the Flying Blue FFN and save. Then add your DL FFN. You can call AF to update, but may be an exercise in patience because not all agents update it properly (you think it's 'simple' but you'd be surprised).

Anytime you pull up your booking when logged into your Flying Blue account, it will overwrite any FFN on the booking with the FB number.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
Use another SkyTeam website like Saudia to pull up your ticket number via "Manage Booking". Delete the Flying Blue FFN and save. Then add your DL FFN. You can call AF to update, but may be an exercise in patience because not all agents update it properly (you think it's 'simple' but you'd be surprised).

Anytime you pull up your booking when logged into your Flying Blue account, it will overwrite any FFN on the booking with the FB number.
Thanks for the tip! I tried through a couple of sites, but so far havent been able to pull up the reservation anywhere except AF and DLs sites (DL only showing the return leg because of operating 1 of the flights).

Going to try again tomorrow, and if I still cant update Ill have them a call - work is super slow so I have time to hold for a couple hours.

Do you know if it might help to just close my Flying Blue account though? I think Ive only earned with them once (1-way LHR-CDG a few years ago) so Im not worried about preserving anything there but if I close my FB account, then they cant override my SkyMiles again.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:26 pm

It's important to get that FB number removed from the record. If there's no FF number, you can ask DL to give you credit after the trip, but once you get FB miles from AF, it's effectively impossible to reverse. The end result is that you wouldn't be able to get any credit to your DL account (including MQMs and MQDs as well as redeemable miles).
will definitely work to get this resolved before the trip definitely want the MQMs/MQDs, but theres a 5.5 hour layover at CDG so I really want the lounge access!
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:15 pm
brg

In Air France - you can set fellow travelers - I set up my family and set myself up again (with my delta FF number) as a family member
When I book tickets for myself, I use my AF FB acct but always select book for another and select my delta number profile and I have never had a problem getting into lounges with my DL status
When I used my AF number I have had issues as my pass would list my no status AF number and the dragons in CDG would not let me in
Originally Posted by Zorak
Zorak and Daremo999 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:20 pm
brg

Question regrading flight credits - advice needed
In Nov 2021 I booked a family trip to AMS for the holidays on DL. Miles in economy class 90-100k while cash price was 750-850$ So I selected pay with miles and paid for them with 85k miles
I thought I was clever saving 15k miles
Now EU is locked down - I selected the "refundable" option for tickets and when I called to cancel, I was not given the miles back but given a travel voucher!
This expires in 1 yr - can I use it for anyone except myself ?
Or can use it for a 100$ ticket and use the unused balance for anyone else?
Thanks in advance
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by brg
In Air France - you can set fellow travelers - I set up my family and set myself up again (with my delta FF number) as a family member
When I book tickets for myself, I use my AF FB acct but always select book for another and select my delta number profile and I have never had a problem getting into lounges with my DL status
When I used my AF number I have had issues as my pass would list my no status AF number and the dragons in CDG would not let me in
I dont expect to fly AF again anytime soon after this flight, but if I do Im definitely going to do this!
Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:30 pm

Currently United Platinum but did not get random extension to 01/2023 and will only qualify for Silver for 2022. Between that and the fact that moving to East Side Manhattan from NJ makes EWR a longer trip than LGA and about equal to JFK, and I have an AMEX Platinum for Delta Lounge access, so status match with Delta makes sense.

I have one reservation already booked on Delta for late January. When should I request the status match from Delta?
Old Dec 26, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
Just status matched to Platinum Medallion...

If I book economy and request a Comfort+ upgrade at booking, in theory I should get it shortly after if there is space...

Would I still be on the upgrade list for first? Or is it just one upgrade per ticket?
Old Dec 26, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by KmKx151
Just status matched to Platinum Medall ion...

If I book economy and request a Comfort+ upgrade at booking, in theory I should get it shortly after if there is space...

Would I still be on the upgrade list for first? Or is it just one upgrade per ticket?
There are two upgrade request options (F and C+) and each request is separate and independent of each other - you can request either choice, or both choices, or you can choose to decline both.
KmKx151 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.