Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond
I've been platinum for several years now and will be diamond for the rest of this year and into next (thank you Wheels Up!)

I'm trying to decipher what's going on with the global upgrades but having never really used them before, I'm not really clear on what happened other than "it's worse than it was before."

My use case would probably be on a leisure trip to Europe next summer for a family of 3+infant (maybe 4+ if we bring the nanny), but I'm unclear if the issues are availability, need to book high tier fare, etc ... any help would be appreciated as I try to decide what benefits to choose
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I've been platinum for several years now and will be diamond for the rest of this year and into next (thank you Wheels Up!)

I'm trying to decipher what's going on with the global upgrades but having never really used them before, I'm not really clear on what happened other than "it's worse than it was before."

My use case would probably be on a leisure trip to Europe next summer for a family of 3+infant (maybe 4+ if we bring the nanny), but I'm unclear if the issues are availability, need to book high tier fare, etc ... any help would be appreciated as I try to decide what benefits to choose
To summarize as best I can:
-If the aircraft has Delta One, Premium Select (PS/Premium Economy) and Regular Economy (C+/Main Cabin/Basic Economy), if you buy a Main Cabin or Comfort Plus Ticket (not Basic Economy), and then apply a GUC, you will clear into PS immediately if there is an open seat in the PS Cabin. There does not need to be "upgrade availability." You will then be waitlisted for Delta One, but can only clear beginning 24 hours before departure. We do not know if that means you will clear into D1 at T-24 if there are open seats or if that's just when you could clear, but not necessarily clear. The GUC is also considered used regardless of whether you are upgraded to D1 at/inside of T-24 hours.
--If the flight only has PS and Main Cabin (no Delta One), such as JFK-KEF, you'll still clear if there's an open seat in PS but there won't be any D1 upgrade and the GUC will still be considered used.
-If the aircraft just has Delta One and Main Cabin/Comfort Plus, the GUC will work much as they did before. You can buy a Main Cabin or C+ ticket and upgrade to D1 if advance booking space is available or waitlist the GUC(s) if it isn't, and clear into D1 anytime between then and departure.
-One additional change is GUCs will also automatically clear into any open "First Class" seat once applied.

Do note that you can only select 4 GUCs and you cannot select 4 additional GUCs with another Choice Benefit. So if you travel with 3-4 people, you won't be able to upgrade everyone both ways with GUCs. If you have 4 people, you'll only be able to upgrade all 4 one-way or you upgrade two of you both ways (and will need to have the two you are upgrading both ways on separate tickets from those who you won't be upgrading). What you could also do, if you want to book all of you on the same ticket, is book all four of you in Main Cabin one-way and apply the GUCs to move up to PS, and then book PS the other way and have PS round trip for at least less than cost of a round trip PS ticket.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:14 am

Hello everyone. Quick question-I have a $200 off $1000 Amex offer for Airfrance on my delta amex card. I'm in the market for a couple of RT tickets on delta to london next summer but am hesitating to book through AF. Is it the same pretty much as booking through delta? I want the app upgrade offers and the ability to change the flight if I need to, would I have to do that through AF or will the reservation automatically get transferred to Delta and my only interaction with AF is at the initial booking? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mykidissmarterthanyou
Hello everyone. Quick question-I have a $200 off $1000 Amex offer for Airfrance on my delta amex card. I'm in the market for a couple of RT tickets on delta to london next summer but am hesitating to book through AF. Is it the same pretty much as booking through delta? I want the app upgrade offers and the ability to change the flight if I need to, would I have to do that through AF or will the reservation automatically get transferred to Delta and my only interaction with AF is at the initial booking? Thanks in advance for any guidance!
You won't get upgrade offers with AF booked flight. Although you also won't get any upgrade offers on partner metal flights booked through Delta (they must be both Delta booked and operated).
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:17 am

Thank you!
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
To summarize as best I can:
-If the aircraft has Delta One, Premium Select (PS/Premium Economy) and Regular Economy (C+/Main Cabin/Basic Economy), if you buy a Main Cabin or Comfort Plus Ticket (not Basic Economy), and then apply a GUC, you will clear into PS immediately if there is an open seat in the PS Cabin. There does not need to be "upgrade availability." You will then be waitlisted for Delta One, but can only clear beginning 24 hours before departure. We do not know if that means you will clear into D1 at T-24 if there are open seats or if that's just when you could clear, but not necessarily clear. The GUC is also considered used regardless of whether you are upgraded to D1 at/inside of T-24 hours.
--If the flight only has PS and Main Cabin (no Delta One), such as JFK-KEF, you'll still clear if there's an open seat in PS but there won't be any D1 upgrade and the GUC will still be considered used.
-If the aircraft just has Delta One and Main Cabin/Comfort Plus, the GUC will work much as they did before. You can buy a Main Cabin or C+ ticket and upgrade to D1 if advance booking space is available or waitlist the GUC(s) if it isn't, and clear into D1 anytime between then and departure.
-One additional change is GUCs will also automatically clear into any open "First Class" seat once applied.

Do note that you can only select 4 GUCs and you cannot select 4 additional GUCs with another Choice Benefit. So if you travel with 3-4 people, you won't be able to upgrade everyone both ways with GUCs. If you have 4 people, you'll only be able to upgrade all 4 one-way or you upgrade two of you both ways (and will need to have the two you are upgrading both ways on separate tickets from those who you won't be upgrading). What you could also do, if you want to book all of you on the same ticket, is book all four of you in Main Cabin one-way and apply the GUCs to move up to PS, and then book PS the other way and have PS round trip for at least less than cost of a round trip PS ticket.
Frankly, that seems pretty reasonable. Going back 15-20 years, "business class" is now what "first class" used to be and "premium economy" is what "business class" used to be. Obviously if you're used to all upgrades being into business class, you'll be bummed out by this, but being new to the GUC game, this seems fairly reasonable... The worst aspect for me is being unable to asses the true value of your upgrade cert until T-24 since an upgrade to business is probably 2-5x more valuable than PE. That makes it hard(er) to figure out which trip you may want to use them on.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:05 am

First timer here...flying on Delta in January. Leaving out of TRI first class with a layover in ATL, main cabin from ATL to MBJ. Main cabin again MBJ to ATL and first class ATL to TRI. Could not book first class for each leg but I keep checking to see what is available. Can anyone tell me: 1. How will boarding be handled in ATL and MBJ? Will we be boarding as main cabin? I ask because in "my trips" the trip is labeled as Sky Priority. 2. What will my baggage fees be? I know we get two free checked bags with first class but we only have two legs first class (as of now). Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mandy Moo
First timer here...flying on Delta in January. Leaving out of TRI first class with a layover in ATL, main cabin from ATL to MBJ. Main cabin again MBJ to ATL and first class ATL to TRI. Could not book first class for each leg but I keep checking to see what is available. Can anyone tell me: 1. How will boarding be handled in ATL and MBJ? Will we be boarding as main cabin? I ask because in "my trips" the trip is labeled as Sky Priority. 2. What will my baggage fees be? I know we get two free checked bags with first class but we only have two legs first class (as of now). Thanks for the help.
You'll get F baggage allowance, as long as even one flight is confirmed in F.
.Boarding priority is by flight. Your reservation says SP as you're entitled to SP Checkin.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arroway
I am confused with how Delta manages a) baggage allowances and b) upgrades for people travelling together. I thought I understood, but just texted with a Delta Rep who gave me information that I did not think was true. Here's the scenario:

6 of us flying from roundrip this Friday to California - - but under 4 separate reservations due to using my AMEX companion passes (could only book 2 at a time with those). So that's:

1.) RES 1 - I am flying (paid ticket), my daughter is my companion. I am Silver Medallion. She is not (but she is a Sky Miles Member).
2.) RES 2 - My son is flying (paid ticket), my daughter's husband is my son's companion (it's an extra companion CERT I had that Delta extended due to COVID). Neither have status. Both a Sky Miles Members (new members).
3.) Res 3 - My son's GF is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Award trip (I reserved with my sky miles.)
4.) Res 4 - My husband is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Paid (technically, partially paid with an unused credit from a previously cancelled flight).

I was under the impression that I would still be upgrade eligible based on my silver medallion status, and that my daughter would be as well since she's my companion (but would clear at my level/status). And that no one else would be upgrade eligible at all (they don't have status, and I am not on their reservations).

I also thought I would get free baggage allowance (as would my daughter, as my companion), but no one else would.

**However, Delta rep just told me that EVERYONE flying would get free bags (as long as we check in together at airport). Well, that's nice, ha! BUT?
She also informed me that NO ONE travelling would be eligible for upgrade because "non status members are flying with you so you will not be eligible for upgrade".

I am confused as to why. We are under separate reservations. Why wouldn't I be eligible for upgrade? Is it because my daughter, non status, is my companion? That's not what Delta's website reads (rep told me must be old info). Huh? It's spelled out in several places. But perhaps I am not reading correctly ;-)

And why does everyone get free bags?! Ha.

Very confused.

But a) trying to advise family whether to count on checking a bag or not (don't want to be surprised with fees at airport) and also trying to manage expectations if any upgrades are available for myself ;-)

I do not believe these reservations are "linked". I suppose it's possible, but I didn't link them so....?
As long as checkin together your one free elite bag allowance be honored for all. (Well technically I believe up to 8 others) Agent will need to override system so must checkin at counter, all at same time with same agent. If there's multiple checkin agents all of you need to use same one.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:13 am

Been United Platinum for a few years while living in NJ and flying exclusively out of EWR. Moved to Manhattan's east side, where LGA can be as little as an 18-minute cab ride, and JFK is about the same travel time as EWR. I am considering a status match with Delta and need to book airfare for the end of January. Likely will not be flying before then.

If I book the January flights now, can I wait until just before my flight in late January to request the status match, and if so, will they add the itinerary under the matched benefits?

Or should I request the status match now prior to making these reservations?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a FT thread about Breeze Airways? I did a search and couldn't find one. Should I start one?

I usually fly Delta, but have a RT on Breeze coming up, nonstop from BDL to CHS over Christmas, gifted to me from my brother. I'm concerned about this newish discount airline possibly cancelling the flight.

Is there a tracker I can google to see how many flights Breeze cancels over Thanksgiving? That may be a bellwether for December.

Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:07 am

I guess start a thread on the Other North and South American Airlines forum, at the bottom of the airline forum list, on Breeze Airways. For your question, maybe flightstats.com : enter the airline name and a pull-down appears with yesterday's and today's flights tracked.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Originally Posted by rove312
I guess start a thread on the Other North and South American Airlines forum, at the bottom of the airline forum list, on Breeze Airways. For your question, maybe flightstats.com : enter the airline name and a pull-down appears with yesterday's and today's flights tracked.
Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
If I book the January flights now, can I wait until just before my flight in late January to request the status match, and if so, will they add the itinerary under the matched benefits?

Or should I request the status match now prior to making these reservations?
You don't need to request the match before booking.

However, getting the match granted is not instantaneous, so I would not wait until the week of your flight to do so. There are some reports of getting a back-dated match period if it is approved late, but it would be much easier to request 2-3 weeks before you travel.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:11 am

Two AMEX card upgrades in the same year?

I upgraded from the blue card to the gold card a few months ago in response to a bonus miles offer. Then, about a month ago I get another offer in the mail - to upgrade to platinum - and I hadn't yet completed the gold bonus offer!

Well, last week I completed the gold bonus offer and got my 40k miles. And... this platinum upgrade offer says it is valid until Jan 8. I'm tempted to take the platinum upgrade offer. I have six months to spend $3000 which is doable over a holiday season. I'll get a $200 statement credit at that time, and additional 50k miles.

This all seems a bit too good to be true, that I could get two bonuses within the same year. Any gotchas I should be aware of? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.