Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by SchindHaughton
Looks like my understanding of the policy may have been a little garbled- I was recalling the policy that applies to linked (but separate) reservations.

https://liveandletsfly.com/delta-companion-upgrades/
I didn't include the DL rule for linked reservations, which I've included below, but what it states is that if both have status then they each gets upgraded based on their individual status, not that they both get upgraded on the lower member's status. So, from an upgrade priority standpoint, it doesn't matter whether or not the reservations are linked, each gets what they're entitled to and one loophole to game the system has been closed.

Blogs are nice. Some bloggers are better than others. I strongly recommend that if you read about something on a blog that you check it out and confirm it with Delta's official policy.

If you and your companion are in different paid ticket reservations that have been linked, upgrades to U.S. 50 domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently:
  • For domestic Delta One and First Class, your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear at the clearing time of the Medallion Member’s Tier. For example, if a Platinum Medallion Member and a General Member are traveling together, both will clear at the Platinum window.
El Boocho likes this.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Nov 9, 2021 at 6:31 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:31 pm

Hello Flyertalkers,

Question. Is there a way to tell how many Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC's) I have left from my delta.com account? I cannot seem to find it so I wanted to make sure I was not missing it before I called the Plat desk.

I signed up to use one the other day ATL - SFO and I actually cleared. I talked to the dest a few days later on another issue but they were not able to tell whether I cleared because of the RUC or the standard gate priority. I think she was pretty new. I (maybe wrongly) assumed that I could see it online so I did not sweat it.

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by K7Beach
Question. Is there a way to tell how many Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC's) I have left from my delta.com account? I cannot seem to find it so I wanted to make sure I was not missing it before I called the Plat desk.
You should be able to see them here, after logging in: https://www.delta.com/myprofile/certificates

They're also in the mobile app under My Wallet => Certificates & eCredits.

If a RUC is used and the associated ticket is reissued then you will see "Closed" next to it. You might also be able to tell whether you cleared a comp upgrade or if they used an RUC by whether your upgraded boarding pass said OU (comp) or OY (certificate).
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:22 am
Suspended

Sorry for being so uninformed, but I'm EU-based and don't fly all that much DL domestic...

What are the rules on free booze (beer and wine) in domestic Comfort+ and domestic First? Are there some exclusions based on flight length/flight duration/time of day?

I'm not asking because I plan to drink on every upcoming flight. It's just that in the Delta app, I have some drink vouchers left. And I might not need them because I will be in Comfort+ or domestic F on all my upcoming DL flights until the end of January 2022...
​​​​​
And, are the vouchers transferable so I can gift them to other forum users?

Last edited by EDB99; Nov 10, 2021 at 8:38 am
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
You should be able to see them here, after logging in: https://www.delta.com/myprofile/certificates

They're also in the mobile app under My Wallet => Certificates & eCredits.

If a RUC is used and the associated ticket is reissued then you will see "Closed" next to it. You might also be able to tell whether you cleared a comp upgrade or if they used an RUC by whether your upgraded boarding pass said OU (comp) or OY (certificate).
That is so strange. That is where I went and I got nothing. All I have are my companion certs and one credit in the CERTIFICATES & eCREDITS folder and my drink+skyclub guest passes on the VOUCHERS.

I tried both from a desktop browser and the app.

What am I missing?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fraser
Handy thread!

I've tried searching but cannot find a list of fare classes and restrictions. My wife got the $200 statement credit offer for application of a DL Gold Amex a couple of months back when buying a DL flight. The application crapped out on the Delta website and we ended up putting it on another account. I'm looking at buying the cheapest fully refundable fare I can in order to trigger the credit but can't tell if what I'm getting allows that.

I looked up refundable options for JFK-BOS and it's listed as an H fare for $279. Is that going get a full refund of the total ticket price? I know typically Y, B, H are the most flexible economy ticket options but didn't know if I should be searching out Y specifically. Is cancelling tickets on DL for refundable fares easily done online?

Whilst I'm at it, anyone know any cheapie routes I should look for on the refundable side? Not a big deal but if I can float less cash for a few months that'd obviously be preferable.

Thanks in advance!
The DL regular coach ("main cabin experience" in Delta-speak) fare classes in decreasing order are as follows: Y B M H Q K L U T X V followed by E for Basic Economy.

The restrictions, refundability, etc. will depend on the fare rules for the specific fare you purchases.

Note that if you're planning to purchase a fully refundable fare to trigger an AmEx credit and then request a refund, AmEx tends to claw back the credit. However, if you buy a nonrefundable (but not basic economy) fare and cancel the ticket (after "24 hours" which means midnight of the following day in the time zone of the first departure airport), you keep the AmEx credit and get a DL eCredit in your FF account for the cost of the ticket (no change fees currently).
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:59 am

ATL vs DTW short connection

Flying LAS > BUF and my only viable flight options are a 41min connection in DTW or 45 in ATL.

Inbound to ATL is on a 767-300 and I see the MCT thread recommends 50 min for large planes, but I’d sit in the last row of Comfort+ (21). This is aisle seat of 2-across exit row.

Inbound to DTW is 737-900er, row 12 Comfort+. I’d grab aisle seat on a 3-across row.

Which would you suggest? Price same, total travel time is shorter through DTW but not in a meaningful way.

Secondary question only if you recommend DTW, first is a bit less than additional $300, I already paid $350 for comfort, I will need to check one bag and have no status so will have to pay for that. I know “worth” is a personal thing, but do you personally think upgrading is worth that difference?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by EDB99
Sorry for being so uninformed, but I'm EU-based and don't fly all that much DL domestic...

What are the rules on free booze (beer and wine) in domestic Comfort+ and domestic First? Are there some exclusions based on flight length/flight duration/time of day?

I'm not asking because I plan to drink on every upcoming flight. It's just that in the Delta app, I have some drink vouchers left. And I might not need them because I will be in Comfort+ or domestic F on all my upcoming DL flights until the end of January 2022...
​​​​​
And, are the vouchers transferable so I can gift them to other forum users?
Domestic F and Domestic D1
Pre (and hopefully post Covid) F received pre departure drink service on all flights, assuming there was time. Domestic D1 did the OJ/bubbles/water tray thing, but you could order whatever you wanted. Then in the air there was a drink service on basically all flights. No time of day restrictions, but maybe there was a weird city restriction with local laws that governed here or there. During covid, no predeparture drinks (though I've seen it happen once) and then drink service in the air on all flight lengths.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...ce/first-class

Domestic C+
No pre-departure drink service. There's not a time of day limiter on drinks, but short flights under 251 do not receive free alcohol in C+, 251-500 gets beer and wine, and >500 gets beer wine and liquor. That said, I'm not sure I recall that I've ever been told the flight was too short for a cocktail, but I'm also not sure I've asked.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...a-comfort-plus
EDB99 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by willywilkes
Flying LAS > BUF and my only viable flight options are a 41min connection in DTW or 45 in ATL.

Inbound to ATL is on a 767-300 and I see the MCT thread recommends 50 min for large planes, but I’d sit in the last row of Comfort+ (21). This is aisle seat of 2-across exit row.

Inbound to DTW is 737-900er, row 12 Comfort+. I’d grab aisle seat on a 3-across row.

Which would you suggest? Price same, total travel time is shorter through DTW but not in a meaningful way.

Secondary question only if you recommend DTW, first is a bit less than additional $300, I already paid $350 for comfort, I will need to check one bag and have no status so will have to pay for that. I know “worth” is a personal thing, but do you personally think upgrading is worth that difference?
For me it's a toss up. I'd book on departure schedule and which would be better if you misconnect. Is there a later connecting flight if you misconnect, or are you on the last flight of the night? If there are later flights, the short layover is less concerning. Is the DTW-BUF flight mainline? If not 41 mins is tight (for me) to change terminals at DTW. 45mins can be tight at ATL too depending on the distance between gates. Anecdotally, I feel like DTW has fewer delays.
Re: Buying F for $300, unless it is a red eye, probably not worth it to me.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

What time of year are you flying? Is this a trip in the near future? December? Early 2022? Spring 2022 or beyond? If in the winter months, I would say 41 min in DTW is the more risky option while in the Spring and Summer I would say 45 min in ATL is more risky.

If the trip is far enough in the future (February or or Spring 2022 or beyond) there are likely to be schedule changes anyway that would possibly allow you to rebook.

If the trip is far enough in advance, I’d book the DTW option, pay the additional $300 for F, and then hope for a schedule change that would allow to rebook to an LAS-ATL-BUF or LAS-JFK-BUF option that comes with lie-flats.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho
For me it's a toss up. I'd book on departure schedule and which would be better if you misconnect. Is there a later connecting flight if you misconnect, or are you on the last flight of the night? If there are later flights, the short layover is less concerning. Is the DTW-BUF flight mainline? If not 41 mins is tight (for me) to change terminals at DTW. 45mins can be tight at ATL too depending on the distance between gates. Anecdotally, I feel like DTW has fewer delays.
Re: Buying F for $300, unless it is a red eye, probably not worth it to me.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
What time of year are you flying? Is this a trip in the near future? December? Early 2022? Spring 2022 or beyond? If in the winter months, I would say 41 min in DTW is the more risky option while in the Spring and Summer I would say 45 min in ATL is more risky.

If the trip is far enough in the future (February or or Spring 2022 or beyond) there are likely to be schedule changes anyway that would possibly allow you to rebook.

If the trip is far enough in advance, I’d book the DTW option, pay the additional $300 for F, and then hope for a schedule change that would allow to rebook to an LAS-ATL-BUF or LAS-JFK-BUF option that comes with lie-flats.
Thanks - trip is actually Tues, so Fall weather I guess. Looks sunny/clear in ATL according to the forecast and mostly cloudy in DTW. Both will be last flight of night so will be stranded in either location overnight.

I am really not familiar with either airport, but I am mid-30s and a pretty fast walker. Looking on flightaware the DTW connection seems to often be arriving A8 departing A73 so would need to go the full concourse - ATL seems random, sometimes the inbound lands at A, B or E and the outbound seems to be T, B, E, but never the same as the inbound.

Already booked via ATL but the price on DTW dropped which is why I was considering changing. The aisle seat I was eyeing for DTW is gone now though so would only change if I was going to switch to first, which I think I am having a hard time justifying, so I am thinking I will stay put unless someone else has arguments to sway me otherwise. Thanks again!
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:52 pm

A Concourse connections at DTW are pretty easy and quick. Assuming the train is running you would hop on at one end and take it to the other side. I’ve never timed it but I doubt the train is much more than five or six minutes.

The upgrade issue is just a personal call. If you’re used to traveling in first then $300 is probably not a big deal, and you’ll be unhappy with the economy product. If you usually travel and economy or comfort plus it will be just another flight for you. One nice thing about DTW is the Westin that is in the terminal. If things go sideways and you miss connect, you might not have to go far for your hotel.
MSPeconomist and willywilkes like this.

Last edited by El Boocho; Nov 12, 2021 at 9:47 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Thanks - trip is actually Tues, so Fall weather I guess. Looks sunny/clear in ATL according to the forecast and mostly cloudy in DTW. Both will be last flight of night so will be stranded in either location overnight.

I am really not familiar with either airport, but I am mid-30s and a pretty fast walker. Looking on flightaware the DTW connection seems to often be arriving A8 departing A73 so would need to go the full concourse - ATL seems random, sometimes the inbound lands at A, B or E and the outbound seems to be T, B, E, but never the same as the inbound.

Already booked via ATL but the price on DTW dropped which is why I was considering changing. The aisle seat I was eyeing for DTW is gone now though so would only change if I was going to switch to first, which I think I am having a hard time justifying, so I am thinking I will stay put unless someone else has arguments to sway me otherwise. Thanks again!
I'm 81 and don't run or walk quickly any longer. I had no trouble making an MCT in ATL from F3 to A1 earlier this year (and it wasn't a Porsche ride either). My wife, who is 78, (she'll kill me for posting that) had a 10 min over MCT at DTW 2 weeks ago at opposite ends of A and made quick stop at one of the Clubs. Flights, especially off rush hour, are pretty reliably early and if your siting in F, particularly in the first 2 rows, you can get going quickly. I book MCT's regularly and I can't remember the last time I misconnected although there are 3 Porsche rides that saved my butt. So that's 3 out of over 300+ connections in the last 8 years or so.
MSPeconomist and willywilkes like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
I'm sorry I didn't keep better track of a CSR who assisted me a few months ago. Wondering if it's too late?

This summer, I was informed by my elderly mother's nursing home that she was having trouble breathing and was in the hospital. I spoke with my mom and her doctor and it appeared she had stabilized. Mom was joking with me, and I told her I would make a jelly roll for when I next saw her. (A raspberry jelly roll is her personal sweet indulgence, and they don't have them in Wisconsin).

I made a reservation online with DL, BDL to MSN (RT) to visit her the following week. But the next day, mom called and said she wanted to refuse life-saving medical treatment and as her Health Care Agent, I said I would comply with her wishes. Her doctor said the hospital would release her back to the nursing home the following day.

The next morning, mom was back at the nursing home, off all life supports, and was fading fast. I tried speaking with her but she was uncommunicative. I decided to go to Madison asap, that afternoon. I tried calling DL to change my flight plan but hold time was four hours. So, I booked another trip online (just one way) and immediately headed to JFK. (BDL didn't have any afternoon flights to MSN).

I explained the situation to the CSR, a young woman with long brown hair, whose name escapes me. She took the time to cancel my first trip. She had to make a number of lengthy calls to make it happen. Her supervisor got frustrated with her at one point, implying she should stop and move on, but she continued (fortunately, there wasn't a big line waiting behind me). She was able to cancel everything and was a big help.

I got to my mother just in time, she passed after just five hours.

This happened in August, and I never got the chance to send DL a message about the CSR, and how her assistance was greatly appreciated. So, without having a specific name, can I (should I?) send a message of thanks, and if so, who should I send it to?

Thanks

Last edited by LadyWrites; Nov 12, 2021 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: DL
What happens to Regional Upgrade Cert if waitlisted and I cancel itinerary

Hi -
I know if I'm waitlisted to use a RUC, and it doesn't clear, the cert will be available for future use. But what about if I cancel the reservation?

If I have a reservation, and I'm waitlisted to use a Regional Upgrade Cert, will that cert be returned for future use if I cancel on Delta.com? How about if I call and have the RUC removed from waitlist before I cancel the reservation.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.