Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:05 pm

Has anyone had issues using 5 e-credits to book a flight? I get an error any time I try to combine the 5 I have.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL, B6
Originally Posted by xliioper
They do change the booking class, but they do not use the same booking class for buy-ups on awards that they use on revenue fares so I would not count on getting MQM credit.
Interesting; I had a similar question but on domestic on Delta metal (OP was on AF). Does the buy-up to first result in the higher MQM earn rate?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoBob
Interesting; I had a similar question but on domestic on Delta metal (OP was on AF). Does the buy-up to first result in the higher MQM earn rate?
FCM buy-up's on award tickets book into OY booking class which is also used for cert-based upgrades. There have been a number of reports that these don't earn additional MQM bonus due to the fact that cert upgrades don't qualify for additional MQM bonus and system apparently can't distinguish between them.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:19 am

FCM buy-up's on award tickets book into OY booking class which is also used for cert-based upgrades. There have been a number of reports that these don't earn additional MQM bonus due to the fact that cert upgrades don't qualify for additional MQM bonus and system apparently can't distinguish between them.
Thank you; I should have clarified, while the OP was discussing award tickets, I am asking about paid tickets. As a side note, not sure if it makes a difference to select the upgrade in the booking process or post-purchase, but I've noticed the U/G is always cheaper post-purchase.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoBob
Thank you; I should have clarified, while the OP was discussing award tickets, I am asking about paid tickets. As a side note, not sure if it makes a difference to select the upgrade in the booking process or post-purchase, but I've noticed the U/G is always cheaper post-purchase.
FCM buy-up offers on paid tickets (both cash and mileage buy-up upgrades) will earn MQM class-of-service bonus as they rebook into normal revenue premium cabin booking classes. It's only the buy-ups on award tickets that have issues due to rebooking into OY class which is not a regular revenue booking class.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 4, 2022 at 9:38 am
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:05 am

FCM buy-up offers on paid tickets (both cash and mileage buy-up upgrades) will earn MQM class-of-service bonus as they rebook into normal revenue premium cabin booking classes. It's only the buy-ups on award tickets that have issues due to rebooking into OY class which is not a regular revenue booking class.
Perfect - thanks again!
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: QR/SQ Gold, VA Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy/HH Silver
I have recently booked DL42 SYD-LAX on Premium Select for 4 pax (2 adults and 2 kids) on VA award points. What are generally the best seats for Premium Select given it is on A359 plane? We do like window seats (20/21 A/B) but the bulkhead 20 D-G looks tempting as well. Are the bulkhead seats have smaller TVs given that they come from the armrest rather than at the back of the seat in front? Seatguru said that the bulkhead seats are also narrower as well?

Also I have never flown DL before is there anything I should expect, compare to say UA and QF on this route?

Last edited by kamchatsky; Jun 5, 2022 at 7:46 am
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
What are generally the best seats for Premium Select given it is on A359 plane? We do like window seats (20/21 A/B) but the bulkhead 20 D-G looks tempting as well. Are the bulkhead seats have smaller TVs given that they come from the armrest rather than at the back of the seat in front? Seatguru said that the bulkhead seats are also narrower as well?
Row 20 have less seat width and have smaller screens that cannot be used during takeoff and landing. This are definitely the downsides of the bulkhead row. I have flown it and experienced that.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I’m a DM, wife is GM (both earned). We’re planning on booking a domestic award trip for ourselves and 3 no status SM members. The booking will be on a single PNR. We have a choice of using my wife’s SkyMiles (our preferred choice) or mine.

If we use hers, does my DM status still let me upgrade all 5 to C+ or does the booking have to be done in my account?

Once we’re all in C+, I want to use Certificates to upgrade my wife and myself to F (the upgrades are available). Does our moving to F endanger the C+ for the other 3 people?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
If we use hers, does my DM status still let me upgrade all 5 to C+ or does the booking have to be done in my account?
Current rules are you only get a +1 for complimentary upgrades regardless of status and youd have to split the PNR into two person chunks in order to get anyone on the upgrade lists.
MSPeconomist and MitjaPod like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Not really a newbie but out of circulation for a long time due to COVID... however, my travel is re-starting. I have no airline status on anyone, just a whole bunch of miles (not using them since this is 100%. I get to choose up to economy plus on a business paid trip from ATL to AMS. I am looking at KL or DL for the flight, but then the question is do I book it on DL metal with Flying Miles or SM or do I book on KL metal on Flying Miles or SM? I have not done this in two years, so I don't remember the pros and cons of each option. I used to book KL on DL and with my status would get a bump to upper deck and the treasured ceramic houses. However, all of that is gone now, so from a economy plus purchased with all cash and no status option, what would the experts suggest?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Is this going to be an award ticket (paid with DL redeemable miles ("SkyMiles") or KLM/AF points/miles) or a ticket paid with money? Your post is confusing to me when you talk about booking with miles, which I wouldn't expect for business travel that will be paid or reimbursed. Award tickets earn nothing unless they are DL flights paid with DL miles.

2. Will your business travel permit genuine Premium Economy (separate cabin, better seats than coach, etc.), called Premium Select or PS on DL, or just Comfort Plus (called C+ here on FT) which are regular coach seats in the front of the coach cabin with a few more inches of pitch (legroom) between rows?

3. Do you have a MQD waiver from DL, usually based on either an official foreign address on your FF account or sufficient spend ($25,000 for FO/GM/DM but $250,000 for DM) on DL AmEx cards? If not, you probably need to worry more about MQDs than MQMs, and you should compare carefully whether booking as DL or KLM will earn more MQDs for your particular fare class.

4. Are you trying to upgrade?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1. Is this going to be an award ticket (paid with DL redeemable miles ("SkyMiles") or KLM/AF points/miles) or a ticket paid with money? Your post is confusing to me when you talk about booking with miles, which I wouldn't expect for business travel that will be paid or reimbursed. Award tickets earn nothing unless they are DL flights paid with DL miles.
*** PAID WITH MONEY ***

2. Will your business travel permit genuine Premium Economy (separate cabin, better seats than coach, etc.), called Premium Select or PS on DL, or just Comfort Plus (called C+ here on FT) which are regular coach seats in the front of the coach cabin with a few more inches of pitch (legroom) between rows?
*** PS ***

3. Do you have a MQD waiver from DL, usually based on either an official foreign address on your FF account or sufficient spend ($25,000 for FO/GM/DM but $250,000 for DM) on DL AmEx cards? If not, you probably need to worry more about MQDs than MQMs, and you should compare carefully whether booking as DL or KLM will earn more MQDs for your particular fare class.
*** NO MQD WAIVER ***

4. Are you trying to upgrade?
*** I WOULD LOVE TO - If they offer for some dollars or miles, I will ***
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:47 am

Has the Delta app been working very slowly for anyone else? It takes forever to main "Account - Skymiles" page. And even then that loads, My Wallet and Profile isn't loaded yet. It's been happening for a few days now. Tried deleting the app and redownloading. Signing in and out of Skymiles account. None of it worked.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LionNYC
Has the Delta app been working very slowly for anyone else? It takes forever to main "Account - Skymiles" page. And even then that loads, My Wallet and Profile isn't loaded yet. It's been happening for a few days now. Tried deleting the app and redownloading. Signing in and out of Skymiles account. None of it worked.
​​​​​​Yep, here's an thread discussing app performance issues of late: Fly Delta App Performance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.