Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcpoinciana
Is the baggage estimator accurate? Delta diamond, economy award flight, auto upgrade to comfort+, FLL to JFK, 3 bags up to 70 lbs? I saw 2 bags up to 70 lbs. in a few places (thus the question).
C+ doesn't provide any additional bags. I get 2 free bags when I use the estimator as DM for this route. I've found estimator can get confused at times if you start changing various parameters.

bcpoinciana likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by hhdl
Flying Blue might be worth considering as well, though I don't think they status match. While their lifetime status is 10 consecutive years of Platinum, they rollover elite credit so you can heavily front load. You of course run the risk that they decide to eliminate rollover, but the more likely way they'd make Platinum for Life harder to get is by introducing a higher tier (and there's nothing stopping DL from rugpulling their MMers). AFKL's AsiaPac partners are better than DL's (AFKL partners with JL, QF, and with MH in Malaysia as well as the SkyTeam partners), and might be useful as an option for Asia-Europe.
Thanks for the suggestion. Regarding the JL, MH and QF partnerships, I admit I did NOT know that Flying Blue allowed the earning of BOTH Award and Status points (xp points) on those OneWorld Carriers. I used 2 of the three a fair bit pre 2020 and had NO IDEA AT ALL! Owe you for pointing that out!

However I do have a follow up question, I tried to do some reading and while on the flying blue website it clearly mentions the earnings and redemptions, I failed to find any reference to status benefits recognition between Flying Blue and either JL, MH or QF, things like Priority, Lounge and Luggage, essentially the things one would get if flying Skyteam when STE+.

That said, I know some airlines extend status recognition to airline partners outside of the airline alliance they belong to so wondering if Flying Blue at higher tiers get any form of benefits ( Priority, Lounge and Luggage) on those 3 partners (JL, MH and QF)
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by TravelExperience
However I do have a follow up question, I tried to do some reading and while on the flying blue website it clearly mentions the earnings and redemptions, I failed to find any reference to status benefits recognition between Flying Blue and either JL, MH or QF, things like Priority, Lounge and Luggage, essentially the things one would get if flying Skyteam when STE+.

That said, I know some airlines extend status recognition to airline partners outside of the airline alliance they belong to so wondering if Flying Blue at higher tiers get any form of benefits ( Priority, Lounge and Luggage) on those 3 partners (JL, MH and QF)
https://www.flyingblue.us/en/program...-tier-benefits only mentions status benefits on QF metal when AFKL marketed; I suspect that it may make the most sense to only credit to Flying Blue in paid premium cabins on JL and MH (similar to crediting to Flying Blue on DL metal).

Gold and Platinum members benefit from free access to lounges when travelling on the same day on a flight marketed by Air France or KLM and operated by Qantas. Free lounge access is reserved to the member, and guests are not accepted.

Silver, Gold and Platinum members are eligible for an extra checked baggage item on flights marketed by Air France or KLM and operated by Qantas.

Silver members benefit from priority check-in and priority baggage drop-off when traveling on flights marketed by Air France or KLM and operated by Qantas. Gold and Platinum members benefit from priority check-in, priority baggage drop-off, priority boarding, priority at immigration and security, and priority baggage delivery when traveling on flights marketed by Air France or KLM and operated by Qantas.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:05 am

https://www.flyingblue.us/en/program...-tier-benefits only mentions status benefits on QF metal when AFKL marketed; I suspect that it may make the most sense to only credit to Flying Blue in paid premium cabins on JL and MH (similar to crediting to Flying Blue on DL metal).

Ah thank you for the link. Just curious, what do you mean when you say, “similar to crediting to Flying Blue on DL metal” ?

I had thought that since both are ST, wouldn’t a STE+ member on DL or AF/KLM metal, have the same benefits?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:07 am

Ah thank you for the link. Just curious, what do you mean when you say, “similar to crediting to Flying Blue on DL metal” ?

I had thought that since both are ST, wouldn’t a STE+ member on DL or AF/KLM metal, have the same benefits?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
C+ doesn't provide any additional bags. I get 2 free bags when I use the estimator as DM for this route. I've found estimator can get confused at times if you start changing various parameters.

Thank you, I should have clarified. When I change the bag quantity to 3, it shows a charge of $0.00. If I change it to 4, it shows $200.00. A glitch perhaps?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by TravelExperience

Just meant that crediting to Flying Blue when one is primarily flying DL within North America makes the most sense when buying premium cabin outright (on DL, especially for Canada/Mexico/Caribbean or exceptionally short F/J flights), since STE/E+ benefits on DL aren't worth that much in practice (given how many GM/PM/DMs there are, or in many no status but having a DL credit card gives you the same or better benefit as DL extends to STE+) in Y.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Quick question

If you hit platinum after a flight is booked, can you select a comfort + seat at that time for free?

understand the policy usually is at time of ticketing, but it would make sense you could could do this later, right ?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by StangGT909
Quick question

If you hit platinum after a flight is booked, can you select a comfort + seat at that time for free?

understand the policy usually is at time of ticketing, but it would make sense you could could do this later, right ?
Once you hit Platinum, you’ll be able to upgrade all of your existing seats to Comfort+ provided there’s sufficient inventory and you have no more than one companion. The system may even auto-upgrade you if you’ve requested the C+ upgrade- pretty sure it will, actually.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Oddly when looking at fares now, it is very expensive to book the flights. I do not understand why the flight is showing at 3800 on KLM (flying on DL metal) and the same flight is 5300 on DL for the same flight.

I wonder if BA is a better option for this flight?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler

I wonder if BA is a better option for this flight?
I'd go for the quickest, but YMMV.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:13 am

I would be very careful around the distinction between Economy Plus and Premium Economy, lest you have a nasty surprise when expensing the ticket.
This is a copy from the policy:
  1. The cost of Economy Comfort seats will be reimbursed for those flights where the sum total of flight time to or from the destination exceeds 8 hours.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd pick DTW for connections over PHL or DFW.
VacationMode likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My impression is that KLM is starting to offer Premium Economy on its aircraft, but if work will pay, definitely book PS and *hope* that you might be offered an upgrade (note that it's nonrefundable if you make a voluntary change) into D1, which is DL's business class. (AF offers IFC = international first class, called La Premiere, on a few routes but DL and KLM do not.)

The remaining question, which might make a big difference in the MQDs you earn, is whether to try to book the DL operated flight with a KLM flight number. You need to look at the numbers, assuming that you can do this on your itinerary and under your employer's (does Fly America Act apply?) rules.
Is it better to book DL metal on DL or KL?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd pick DTW for connections over PHL or DFW.
I like DTW for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.