Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sorry, but it's been so long I forget the best way of handling this...

My ticket was issued under my full passport name of Mr. Points T. Scrounger Jr. My Skymiles account is simply Points Scrounger. I added the reservation to My Trips, but the system won't let me add the Skymiles number itself to the trip because of name mismatch.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sorry, but it's been so long I forget the best way of handling this...

My ticket was issued under my full passport name of Mr. Points T. Scrounger Jr. My Skymiles account is simply Points Scrounger. I added the reservation to My Trips, but the system won't let me add the Skymiles number itself to the trip because of name mismatch.
Stop traveling on your dad's frequent flyer plan.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course it's somewhat supply and demand based, but you can't really predict which way the price will go. Also, seat maps don't reflect inventory very well.

Have you looked at the cost to upfare the entire ticket (or for all flights in one direction of a RT)? Sometimes this can be *less* that the price offered in the app to buy a seat in a different cabin for just one segment. You typically need to call DL to make the change, but you can see current D1 prices for your flight by doing a dummy booking. Doing it this way makes the additional amount you pay refundable or able to be included in your crdit if you make voluntary changes.
I will give that a shot, though it’ll require some math on my end since the base tickets were bought with miles. Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squirk
Thanks much. Do you happen to know if these upgrade fees fluctuate over time, or do they stay relatively level?

For example, if One cabin starts filling up, will Delta jack up the upgrade fee because there's obviously demand? By contrast, if the One cabin is almost empty a few weeks before departure, will they lower the fee in order to incentivize people to upgrade?
If you are thinking they will continuously lower offers in attempt to fill every last D1 seat, that doesn't happen. There can often be seats left empty in D1. It's similar to the reason they don't give out comp upgrades on international D1 -- if you give away the seats for free or at a cheap price, it will generally have an impact on what people will be willing to pay for the seats at initial purchase.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
Sky Miles MQMs earnings table for deep discount economy

Hey all,

I noticed on another thread that Sky Miles gives 100% MQMs on ST partners like KL, LA etc even when flying on deep discount economy tickets but doesn't given MQMs on its own basic economy tickets?

Guess this is the definition of a "newbie" question, but any idea why DL would give 100% MQM accrual on cheap partner tickets?

I admit I'm new to ST and DL, but I'm sure I've never seen any other airline in *A or OneWorld allowing 100% status miles on a partners' cheapest tickets.

I did check DL's website and still cant believw my eye. If it weren't being cited in this forum, I would have assume those earnings tables were out of date.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the new bie question
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Just wanted to confirm something, there's no close in exemption to the 24 hour free cancellation window, correct. (ticket booked 3.5 days before flight)
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Intheair2night
Just wanted to confirm something, there's no close in exemption to the 24 hour free cancellation window, correct. (ticket booked 3.5 days before flight)
DL does not have an advance purchase requirement in order for the 24-hour cancellation to apply. i.e. even if you bought 3.5 days before flight you can still invoke 24-hour risk-free cancellation.

Arguably it even applies to purchases for travel the same day, although I forget if there are any actual data points on that: Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread
Intheair2night likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been told it applies to same day tickets, but I've never tested this.

It's fairly new that BE tickets don't earn any miles or other FF benefits. My *guess* is that part of the reason for the discrepancy might be that rules for the equivalent of BE tickets vary greatly across airlines and DL might have a hard time keeping up with current conditions and current fare classes. It could be simpler to just give out miles. It's also consistent with DL considering BE to be a completely different "experience" than Main, almost a separate cabin. DL could also believe based on their big data that people buy BE tickets purely on price, so that any FF miles/benefits constitute a pure giveaway that will have no effect on sales of these tickets. OTOH, DL could plan to make changes later, after they investigate how other BE-equivalent fares compare on conditions and pricing.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelExperience
Hey all,

I noticed on another thread that Sky Miles gives 100% MQMs on ST partners like KL, LA etc even when flying on deep discount economy tickets but doesn't given MQMs on its own basic economy tickets?

Guess this is the definition of a "newbie" question, but any idea why DL would give 100% MQM accrual on cheap partner tickets?

I admit I'm new to ST and DL, but I'm sure I've never seen any other airline in *A or OneWorld allowing 100% status miles on a partners' cheapest tickets.

I did check DL's website and still cant believw my eye. If it weren't being cited in this forum, I would have assume those earnings tables were out of date.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the new bie question
Most partners don't have a separate booking class for their "light" fares like DL has for Basic Economy (I believe VS is the only exception with their T fares), so they can't easily be distinguished. I've flown on a cheap intra-Europe fare on AF before that doesn't earn anything on DL (forget the fare class). Any partner fare classes not listed in the DL charts doesn't earn anything. Not sure if other partners have such fares. DL X and V fare classes are cheapest main cabin classes and would generally be considered "deep-discount" fare classes and earn 100% MQMs.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, AI-FR, ClubVistara, KrisFlyer, EK, InterMiles
Originally Posted by SuraBoy
Hi all,
first post here and looking for insights and suggestions!

My friend was scheduled to fly from Michigan to MCO via ATL with a sufficiently enough 3hr layover. As announced at the gate, her first flight was delayed by 2h45m due to pilot shortages. A constant change of flights on her itinerary from ATL to MCO ensued, but Delta said they'll give her a hotel room as all flights were on +1 day's AM hours. After reaching ATL and standing in line for 2 more hours, she was told they had no more rooms. Frustrated with Delta at this point, she slept in the terminal.

How to get compensated for this freak show and what is an appropriate amount?

Thanks!
Hi all,

Do let me know if this doesn't belong here and I'll post it elsewhere

Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:11 pm

Delta Sky Club Lounge Access (@LAX) with AMEX Platinum

Good afternoon,

If I have an AMEX Platinum card can I access Delta Sky Club upon arrival? I know that Delta initially announced disallowing lounge access upon arrival, but then they rolled that back. I am arriving to LAX on an economy DL flight, departing on a non-DL carrier (Qatar Airways, J ticket).

The lingo in the AMEX conditions says a same day Delta flight boarding pass (and AMEX platinum) is needed, but it does not specify that the boarding pass must be for departure (from LAX in my case).

I know I can access the Centurion Lounge, and the OneWorld Lounge, but I thought the Sky Club looks pretty swanky and I have a LONG layover so I can't access Centurion for the first few hours.

Thanks,
HisGirlFriday
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by HisGirlFriday
Good afternoon,

If I have an AMEX Platinum card can I access Delta Sky Club upon arrival? I know that Delta initially announced disallowing lounge access upon arrival, but then they rolled that back. I am arriving to LAX on an economy DL flight, departing on a non-DL carrier (Qatar Airways, J ticket).

The lingo in the AMEX conditions says a same day Delta flight boarding pass (and AMEX platinum) is needed, but it does not specify that the boarding pass must be for departure (from LAX in my case).

I know I can access the Centurion Lounge, and the OneWorld Lounge, but I thought the Sky Club looks pretty swanky and I have a LONG layover so I can't access Centurion for the first few hours.

Thanks,
HisGirlFriday
Arrival entry is ok now, worked for me earlier this month.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrival entry is currently only restricted for those trying to enter with Skyteam Elite+ status based on a same-day Skyteam international flight. They must have an onward Skyteam flight for access and aren't allow to enter if they have no onward flights or have an onward flight on a non-skyteam carrier.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Arrival entry is currently only restricted for those trying to enter with Skyteam Elite+ status based on a same-day Skyteam international flight. They must have an onward Skyteam flight for access and aren't allow to enter if they have no onward flights or have an onward flight on a non-skyteam carrier.
Unless they're continuing on a separate carrier and separate ticket, arriving passengers in the USA (where SCs are located) would be landside after exiting customs. This is consistent with the general SkyTeam policy of no access upon arrival unless there's a special designated arrivals lounge like at CDG (and LHR T3, but it's VS and not SkyTeam).
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
You can arrive airside if you come from a pre clearance airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.