Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by xliioper
Sorry, no lounge access is provided on Premium Select fares. Only DL Delta One business class fares provide for lounge access.
Wow, that stinks. Thanks for the info though.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by jjl468
Also, just in case you wanted to find out your fare class so that you can figure out your exact earnings, @xliioper detailed how to do so here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34272253-post14.html
Fortunately I wrote down that number before I closed the window. It was "NNIJI6M6" so, if these instructions are correct it would be a class M ticket earning 150% of MQM. When I tried looking at MAS later it didn't come up with the same flight but came up as N class which is 100% of MQM.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CycloneSteve
Fortunately I wrote down that number before I closed the window. It was "NNIJI6M6" so, if these instructions are correct it would be a class M ticket earning 150% of MQM. When I tried looking at MAS later it didn't come up with the same flight but came up as N class which is 100% of MQM.
No, it's just an N class fare as the booking class is always the first letter of fare basis code with KL fares (reread my post). Thus it will earn 100% MQM. The 'M' in the second to last letter just indicates it's a Main cabin coach fare and is not the booking class (it just indicates service class). A 'B' in the second to last letter indicates a "Light fare" which is similar to Delta Basic Economy fares. While DL has a separate booking class for it's Basic Economy fares ('E'), KL does not have a separate booking class for it's Light fares and all fare booking classes are indicated by first letter of fare basis code.

With DL fares, the booking class is not always the first letter of the fare basis code. If it's a Basic Economy fare (has a 'B' in second to last letter of fare basis code), then the booking class will always be 'E' no matter what the first letter of the fare basis code is. But then DL makes it's booking classes more transparent when booking so that you don't have dig down in to fare basis codes to see what you are getting.
jjl468 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 24, 2022 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:02 pm

Children under 2 lounge access via Amex Platinum while traveling on Delta, $29 or free ?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:53 pm

Flying DTW-AMS-OSL on a delta ticket (Delta and KLM aircraft). The DTW-AMS flight is Delta One on mileage upgrade. the AMS-OSL flight is in economy.

I know we have access to the Sky Clubs in DTW. My question is will we have access to the KLM in AMS during our layover in AMS?

Thank you
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by TravelExperience
Hey all,

I noticed on another thread that Sky Miles gives 100% MQMs on ST partners like KL, LA etc even when flying on deep discount economy tickets but doesn't given MQMs on its own basic economy tickets?

Guess this is the definition of a "newbie" question, but any idea why DL would give 100% MQM accrual on cheap partner tickets?

I admit I'm new to ST and DL, but I'm sure I've never seen any other airline in *A or OneWorld allowing 100% status miles on a partners' cheapest tickets.

I did check DL's website and still cant believw my eye. If it weren't being cited in this forum, I would have assume those earnings tables were out of date.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the new bie question
Nobody is going to be able to give a 100% conclusive answer but the most likely answer is "those rules have been in place for a long time, and nobody has gotten around to revising them." It's also possible that the rules are set contractually and that changing them outside of a regular contract renewal would require getting a bunch of lawyers involved.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Nobody is going to be able to give a 100% conclusive answer but the most likely answer is "those rules have been in place for a long time, and nobody has gotten around to revising them." It's also possible that the rules are set contractually and that changing them outside of a regular contract renewal would require getting a bunch of lawyers involved.

I actually like your answer, typical big corporate inertia and customer callousness, but for once the blend is just right that it doesn’t short change the customer

understand what you mean. I was actually more worried that I misunderstood / overlooked some nuance of the FFP which would negate my assumed benefits from the MQM earnings’ rate.

Was half expecting a seasoned expert here to share wisdom / a warning along the lines of “now see hear greenhorn, watcha gotta understand about this FFP is……..and that’s why you got the whole concept all turned upside down”

Just to share, am considering a ST FFP and evaluating the pros & cons of DL. Thanks again, appreciated
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Flying from AUS-AMS-BOM on KLM Economy Ticket. I have Amex Platinum Card with No Status on Delta or KLM. Will I get Lounge access at AUS ? And also I am being offer Upgrade for 450 dollars on AMS-BOM segment. If I buy the Upgrade will I get access to Lounge in AUS and AMS or only at AMS ? And also is it better to Credit to Delta or KLM frequent flyer account ? Does KLM economy earns Delta MQM based miles flown ?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For the "where to credit" question, you must look at the partner mileage earning charts for your KLM fare class, although if you've already associated the ticket/PNR with your AF/KLM FF number, you might have no choice as FB numbers tend to stick.

My guess is that you would have lounge access on a KLM economy ticket to the DL SC at AUS using your regular AmEx charge card only if AUS-AMS is DL operated. If it is, try to get a DL boarding pass, perhaps from a kiosk. IIRC the AmEx rules, which require DL flights, depend on the operating rather than marketing carrier, but I could be wrong, so try to check and if possible carry a copy of the relevant rule with you.

BTW, why have both DL and FB active FF accounts? Wouldn't it be better to pick one and try to get status? If you're living in the USA, this would normally be DL as it's typically best to have status with the airline you fly most and it would be nice to have even FO benefits when flying DL, including the possibility of free domestic upgrades.
rajhyd99 and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the "where to credit" question, you must look at the partner mileage earning charts for your KLM fare class, although if you've already associated the ticket/PNR with your AF/KLM FF number, you might have no choice as FB numbers tend to stick.

My guess is that you would have lounge access on a KLM economy ticket to the DL SC at AUS using your regular AmEx charge card only if AUS-AMS is DL operated. If it is, try to get a DL boarding pass, perhaps from a kiosk. IIRC the AmEx rules, which require DL flights, depend on the operating rather than marketing carrier, but I could be wrong, so try to check and if possible carry a copy of the relevant rule with you.

BTW, why have both DL and FB active FF accounts? Wouldn't it be better to pick one and try to get status? If you're living in the USA, this would normally be DL as it's typically best to have status with the airline you fly most and it would be nice to have even FO benefits when flying DL, including the possibility of free domestic upgrades.
Thanks for the response. I am using DL FF account only on reservation. I think flights are on KL number so DL SC looks not possible.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Thanks for the response. I am using DL FF account only on reservation. I think flights are on KL number so DL SC looks not possible.
I think there's a chance of accessing the DL SC at AUS if DL operates (metal) the flight from AUS to AMS even if you're booked with a KLM flight number on KLM ticket stock.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I never actually credit flights to FB but the changes to their point expiration policy a few years back and often better redemption rates than Delta’s make it attractive to build a stash of redeemable miles with FB via credit card point transfers (usually during a 25% bonus time) shopping portals, cross promotions with Accor hotels, etc.

The annoying bit will be to get Sky Team Elite+ mapped over to award tickets when I’m ready to use that point pool.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I never actually credit flights to FB but the changes to their point expiration policy a few years back and often better redemption rates than Delta’s make it attractive to build a stash of redeemable miles with FB via credit card point transfers (usually during a 25% bonus time) shopping portals, cross promotions with Accor hotels, etc.

The annoying bit will be to get Sky Team Elite+ mapped over to award tickets when I’m ready to use that point pool.
Can you simply make the reservation from the FB account but not attach the FB number (or any FF number) to the reservation and then after making the reservation, go in and add your Skymiles number?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Can you simply make the reservation from the FB account but not attach the FB number (or any FF number) to the reservation and then after making the reservation, go in and add your Skymiles number?
Will have to play around with it when I have the miles to go ahead and book a couple business class award tickets from that account.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:36 pm

I wonder whether this would be easier if you use FB miles for a ticket for someone other than the account's owner? For example, if a couple both have FB accounts and both have status with DL, use Person 1's FB miles for Person 2's ticket and vice versa. I suspect that the system might not attach a FB number if the ticket name and account holder don't match, so that the number field would be blank and then you could insert a DL FF number for the matching name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.