Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone know real quick whether there's additional UK "luxury tax" for a flight from LHR to the USA when I upgrade from PS to D1? My PS receipt already shows UK APD (airline passenger duty) of about $240.
APD is the same for both cabins: GBP 185.00.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by findark
APD is the same for both cabins: GBP 185.00.
Thank you. I thought I was right on this, but it required almost an hour on hold with a DM agent for him to verify this with some help desk. He wanted to charge me APD (a second time) before reissuing my ticket.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM, MM
simple(?) Delta upgrade Q

My wife has a lot of SkyMiles but no Medallion status. If she uses some of her SkyMiles to purchase Delta tix for both of us (on the same Confirmation Code), can I use my Platinum status to upgrade our seats? thnx
Old May 28, 2022, 10:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MisterFungi
My wife has a lot of SkyMiles but no Medallion status. If she uses some of her SkyMiles to purchase Delta tix for both of us (on the same Confirmation Code), can I use my Platinum status to upgrade our seats? thnx
Welcome to FT! I answered your post in the other thread, but yes, you will be eligible for upgrades together at your Platinum Medallion priority level, as long as both your SkyMiles numbers are on the reservation.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
I have tried to find this info on the Delta webpage but did not. If I have Platinum status and do not reach the required number of MQMs to extend it, will I be back to the lowest tier or will be level down (Gold) for the next year?
Old May 30, 2022, 7:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sinus
I have tried to find this info on the Delta webpage but did not. If I have Platinum status and do not reach the required number of MQMs to extend it, will I be back to the lowest tier or will be level down (Gold) for the next year?
You would get whatever tier you qualified for by meeting that tier's requirements; you don't automatically get Gold just for having been Platinum previously (no "soft landings"). If you don't at least hit the reqs for Silver then you would drop down to general member.
sinus and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by Zorak; May 30, 2022 at 7:57 am Reason: Fix autocorrect damage
Old May 30, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
.....and if you don't earn at least FO (drop to general member), you get NO rollover at all, so all of your MQMs are lost.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:13 pm

Unhappy

Hey all!

I have an upcoming international flight, and as luck would have it, I just broke my arm (dominant wrist, needed surgery, am part cyborg now). We're 10k MQMs from platinum, which I know allows for complimentary upgrades, and I'd like this so we can get a bit more room for me and my wrapped up arm. The flight is in just over a week - is there any way we can earn the MQMs in that time (like some kind of promotion for a new card that will payout by the time of the flight)? Or, does anyone have experience flying long haul with their bone in multiple pieces? Is it weird to request early boarding to avoid the scrum and potential arm knocking?

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carli Zonda
Hey all!

I have an upcoming international flight, and as luck would have it, I just broke my arm (dominant wrist, needed surgery, am part cyborg now). We're 10k MQMs from platinum, which I know allows for complimentary upgrades, and I'd like this so we can get a bit more room for me and my wrapped up arm. The flight is in just over a week - is there any way we can earn the MQMs in that time (like some kind of promotion for a new card that will payout by the time of the flight)? Or, does anyone have experience flying long haul with their bone in multiple pieces? Is it weird to request early boarding to avoid the scrum and potential arm knocking?

Thanks!
If it is a long haul international flight (with Delta One cabin), there are no complimentary upgrades to Delta One class (including for Platinum and Diamond Medallions). All that having Plat status will do is give you a higher upgrade priority for Comfort+ and eligibility for Comfort+ upgrades any time after purchase.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

Last edited by xliioper; May 30, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Old May 30, 2022, 1:47 pm

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2022, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by sinus
It depends on how many MQMs you end the year with. Your current status is irrelevant, you will get whatever status you earn based on MQMs at the end of the year (and MQDs/waiver, if applicable).
Old May 30, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriot Plat, OZ *G
I want to clarify something. If I book with WestJet and fly the right fare code, can I earn Delta SkyMiles for a domestic Canada WJ flight?
Old May 30, 2022, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bagua168
I want to clarify something. If I book with WestJet and fly the right fare code, can I earn Delta SkyMiles for a domestic Canada WJ flight?
Yes, but it looks like they have some kind of 'E' class fare similar to DL Basic Economy which earns nothing. Lowest fare classes (T,K,L) only earn 25% of mileage flown (including for MQMs).
See WestJet chart at https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners (click on box that says "Mileage Earn on/after Sep 20, 2018")
Old May 30, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Newbie to international question

If you book a round trip from the USA to Europe on miles, can you cancel with a full award/mile re-deposit?

The policy makes it seem like flights originating from the USA but wanted to confirm does that include the return leg from Europe back to the USA?

Want to book a flight in the fall due to prices being reasonable but wanted to be able to get my miles back if the Covid situation gets bad

It is easy to make changes to your Award Ticket. We have simplified travel by eliminating change fees for Award travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico, and the U.S Virgin Islands) and for international travel originating in North America. In addition to eliminating change fees, you can now make changes any time prior to departure.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:56 pm

You can cancel and get your miles back with no fees before the start of your trip, assuming it's not a basic economy award ticket (in which case, IIRC there would be a $199 fee for a "voluntary" cancellation).

However, after you've flown the outbound portion, you probably wouldn't get any miles back, assuming you purchased a RT fare with miles and not two one way award tickets (which would generally be much more expensive in miles, just as it would be for tickets purchased using money).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.