Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I have recently booked DL42 SYD-LAX on Premium Select for 4 pax (2 adults and 2 kids) on VA award points. What are generally the best seats for Premium Select given it is on A359 plane? We do like window seats (20/21 A/B) but the bulkhead 20 D-G looks tempting as well. Are the bulkhead seats have smaller TVs given that they come from the armrest rather than at the back of the seat in front? Seatguru said that the bulkhead seats are also narrower as well?

Also I have never flown DL before is there anything I should expect, compare to say UA and QF on this route?
Originally Posted by MitjaPod
Row 20 have less seat width and have smaller screens that cannot be used during takeoff and landing. This are definitely the downsides of the bulkhead row. I have flown it and experienced that.
The bulkhead seats have smaller tvs that are in the armrest but the seat width difference is pretty minimal. Additionally, my favorite aspect of the bulkhead row is that unlike in the other rows, the person in the window seat (or center seats if in the center section) can get out without the person on the aisle having to get up in most cases. If you're tall enough and agile enough and depending on how the person in the aisle is sitting/stretched out, you may even be able to step over them if they're sleeping with their legs stretched out without waking them up to move their legs (I was able to do this on the AA 777-200 and UA 767-300 in the bulkhead row window in PE). That's unlikely if not impossible in the other rows, especially if the person in front of your row is reclined. To me this is well worth the tradeoff for a slightly smaller screen and not being able to use the tv for a few minutes during the flight, especially one that is already 14-15 hours. While I cannot comment on the DL A350-900 specifically, I've flown PE on a few other airlines and I've always been able to snag the bulkhead row. At 6'4", I've still had the ability to stretch out my legs adequate enough.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold
A bit confused by how the Caribbean is treated for cancellation/redeposit of award flights.

If I book Main Cabin, one-way, PLS-USA, can I later cancel this award, without penalty, and redeposit the miles? If no, can I change without fee/penalty?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
A bit confused by how the Caribbean is treated for cancellation/redeposit of award flights.

If I book Main Cabin, one-way, PLS-USA, can I later cancel this award, without penalty, and redeposit the miles? If no, can I change without fee/penalty?
I was wondering the same thing (looking to book a one-way PUJ-ORD) - but IIRC pre-covid, redeposit fees were waived for PM and above anyways so I probably will be fine
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:20 pm

Tried searching this thread but I think "OU" is too short to work.

Is there any way to see how much upgrade space Delta has open (the OU bucket)? Similar to how you can see United upgrade space (PZ) using Expert Mode on the United website?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gigafishing
Tried searching this thread but I think "OU" is too short to work.

Is there any way to see how much upgrade space Delta has open (the OU bucket)? Similar to how you can see United upgrade space (PZ) using Expert Mode on the United website?
No, DL doesn't directly provide inventory numbers.

OU is comp upgrade space -- at one point you could do a flight search on the website while logged in and the results would say "upgrade eligible" or "upgrade available" which translated into OU=0 and OU>0

However this was removed and replaced with showing visibility into certificate upgrade space: Website Now Displays RUC and GUC Certificate Availability-Upgrades Extended to 12/31

However*2 the latter has been buggy in the case of multiple segments and/or multiple passengers (not sure if those issues have been addressed yet by DL)
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
No, DL doesn't directly provide inventory numbers.

OU is comp upgrade space -- at one point you could do a flight search on the website while logged in and the results would say "upgrade eligible" or "upgrade available" which translated into OU=0 and OU>0

However this was removed and replaced with showing visibility into certificate upgrade space: Website Now Displays RUC and GUC Certificate Availability-Upgrades Extended to 12/31

However*2 the latter has been buggy in the case of multiple segments and/or multiple passengers (not sure if those issues have been addressed yet by DL)
Thanks. And GUC upgrades can go last seat, but RUC upgrades are inventory controlled, correct?

And it showing "First available with Upgrade Certificate" means that RUC space is there, but it doesn't necessarily translate to comp upgrade space, but is still more likely than if it said "First available with Global Upgrade Certificate"?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thanks. And GUC upgrades can go last seat, but RUC upgrades are inventory controlled, correct?
Correct, if speaking about non-D1 domestic routes.

And it showing "First available with Upgrade Certificate" means that RUC space is there, but it doesn't necessarily translate to comp upgrade space,
Also correct

but is still more likely than if it said "First available with Global Upgrade Certificate"?
Only revenue management knows for sure, but seems likely.
gigafishing likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
And it showing "First available with Upgrade Certificate" means that RUC space is there, but it doesn't necessarily translate to comp upgrade space, but is still more likely than if it said "First available with Global Upgrade Certificate"?
Originally Posted by Zorak
.Also correct
Has DL fixed the bug where it used to display "First available with Upgrade Certificate" on multi-segment itineraries even if one of the segments actually only had First available with a GUC? For example, I booked a ticket on SFO-DTW-DAY. DL.com displayed "First Available with Upgrade Certificate" for SFO-DTW-DAY when I was booking and when I clicked the link to see it segment by segment, DL.com said F was available for both segments with "Upgrade Certificate". So I called DL to apply the RUC after booking. Agent tells me "RUC space is only available on the DAY-DTW segment" and that I would have to waitlist for SFO-DTW. If I searched SFO-DTW as a stand-alone segment, DL.com would display "First available with Global Upgrade Certificate", indicating F was not available for upgrade with an RUC.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Has DL fixed the bug where it used to display "First available with Upgrade Certificate" on multi-segment itineraries even if one of the segments actually only had First available with a GUC? For example, I booked a ticket on SFO-DTW-DAY. DL.com displayed "First Available with Upgrade Certificate" for SFO-DTW-DAY when I was booking and when I clicked the link to see it segment by segment, DL.com said F was available for both segments with "Upgrade Certificate". So I called DL to apply the RUC after booking. Agent tells me "RUC space is only available on the DAY-DTW segment" and that I would have to waitlist for SFO-DTW. If I searched SFO-DTW as a stand-alone segment, DL.com would display "First available with Global Upgrade Certificate", indicating F was not available for upgrade with an RUC.
This suggests that one should try a dummy booking for every segment to check RUC upgrade inventory, but I had the impression that upgrade inventory used married segment logic.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Still bugg-y as of today. Tried to use one a few min ago for ORD-ATL-PUJ which said "First Available with Upgrade Certificate" on delta .com but she said she only had confirmable space on the ORD-ATL segment. Checking individually, ATL-PUJ says only available with GUC.

I also noticed that when clicking into it, it displays "Global Upgrade Certificate Availability" even though it only says "Upgrade certificate" - so probably a clue that space wasn't confirmable across both segments

ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not a newbie but haven't kept up with all of the changes due to COVID-19 and especially details on when the changes are being reversed: For a TATL flight in D1, can I order my main course in advance? If so, when? I received some pre-flight prepare for your trip email today, but I can't even find a link to the D1 menu for my flight and there's no mention of a preorder possibility.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not a newbie but haven't kept up with all of the changes due to COVID-19 and especially details on when the changes are being reversed: For a TATL flight in D1, can I order my main course in advance? If so, when? I received some pre-flight prepare for your trip email today, but I can't even find a link to the D1 menu for my flight and there's no mention of a preorder possibility.

Yes. Normally they send you an email, or you can choose from the phone app. Usually about 7 days in advance, but YMMV. You can also make a choice on the flight, but there are usually a couple of choices you can only make in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold

Anybody know this one?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Main Cabin awards can redeposited with no penalty or fees (including from Caribbean). If you wish to make a change, you will have to pay any mileage difference if new flights are more miles. There is a 19,900 mile deduction for redepositing international Basic Economy awards.
hotelmotel likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:50 am

Sorry to have a really basic question. However, this is the first time in a long time, I have used Delta Miles. Want to transfer 30,000 miles from my account to my daughter's account. When I go to transfer, it says there is a $30 transfer fee. (that is OK) However, it also shows a $300 "fee." Is this really a fee or is this simply a valuation of the miles that is formally shown on the web page. I find it hard to believe that I would be charged anything other than the $30 to transfer my own miles. Basically, I would like to know whether after I complete the transfer operation, I will actually be charged $300, or whether [which makes more sense to me], the miles will simply be transferred out of my account into my daughter's account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.