Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old May 14, 2022, 11:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Finally, are you sure that DL offers D1 on your flights? Some of the KEF flights are marketed only as PS. There's a chance that VS is confused about this and is really offering the PS cabin on a DL operated flight. If DL isn't offering D1 seats, I would be very skeptical.
I've been looking at JFK-KEF flights for a trip later this year and they are showing as 763 right now, FWIW.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
I've been looking at JFK-KEF flights for a trip later this year and they are showing as 763 right now, FWIW.
Correct. JFK-KEF flights are D1 763 flights now. It's only the MSP-KEF flights (DL260/DL261) that are still being flown with domestic FC 757s where FC cabin is sold as Premium Select.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:10 pm

Chances are that your current award tickets are based on round trip pricing. If you ask to convert it into a one way ticket, it would be repriced and the cost in miles could be much more. (Similarly, if you have a RT award ticket and try to cancel the return portion after some or all of the outbound has been flown, no miles would be refunded.)

Do you see any upgrade offers in the DL app when you look at your itinerary?

Finally, are you sure that DL offers D1 on your flights? Some of the KEF flights are marketed only as PS. There's a chance that VS is confused about this and is really offering the PS cabin on a DL operated flight. If DL isn't offering D1 seats, I would be very skeptical.
The airplane listed for the flight is a 767-300. The Delta booking lists Delta One as an option, and I also see it as an upgrade option within the app. I'm pretty confident it is offered for this flight. I'm currently booked as Comfort+ for the entire round trip. Delta wants to charge me 184,800 more miles (per person) to upgrade to Delta One. Meanwhile, Virgin offers that exact same leg of the flight (JFK - KEF) for 50,000 miles per person. That's a massive difference. I was planning on just moving some Amex points to Virgin to book that part, but I wanted to keep the rest of my trip intact if possible. It would still be Delta operated flights from start to finish. I just don't know if Delta will let me cancel just the one leg, and I also didn't know if it would impact how my luggage is checked through.

The flight itself is a redeye and we have some early appointments after landing, so I wanted to try to grab D1 for just that part of the flight. Doing it this way would save me hundreds of thousands of miles/points. I would just upgrade directly through Delta, but the difference in price is very hard to justify.
Old May 14, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darick
The airplane listed for the flight is a 767-300. The Delta booking lists Delta One as an option, and I also see it as an upgrade option within the app. I'm pretty confident it is offered for this flight. I'm currently booked as Comfort+ for the entire round trip. Delta wants to charge me 184,800 more miles (per person) to upgrade to Delta One. Meanwhile, Virgin offers that exact same leg of the flight (JFK - KEF) for 50,000 miles per person. That's a massive difference. I was planning on just moving some Amex points to Virgin to book that part, but I wanted to keep the rest of my trip intact if possible. It would still be Delta operated flights from start to finish. I just don't know if Delta will let me cancel just the one leg, and I also didn't know if it would impact how my luggage is checked through.

The flight itself is a redeye and we have some early appointments after landing, so I wanted to try to grab D1 for just that part of the flight. Doing it this way would save me hundreds of thousands of miles/points. I would just upgrade directly through Delta, but the difference in price is very hard to justify.
Most DL international awards from US have a roundtrip booking requirement for cheapest award levels. They will refare award if you attempt to cancel one leg and you will need to pay whatever miles they are charging for a one-way award on flight right now for your trip.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Jprod
Isn’t it annoying being next to lavatory?
I've never had an issue. It isn't like domestic F with people from C+ and beyond lining up in the aisle with FA's who don't enforce access.

Pax also tend to sleep a lot in D1 so there's less activity in the aisle.
Pocatello likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 2:15 am

Thanks for the heads up. I figured that was the case, and was ultimately still okay with going that route because it only cost me a couple hundred more in taxes to re-book as two one way trips. Paying to upgrade would have cost me almost four thousand dollars extra for D1 during the leg I wanted.

To provide some closure in case other people find this helpful, I called Virgin and told them about the booking I wanted to make. They were kind enough to take my information and hold my booking for 72 hours, because they knew I had to call Delta to sort out the rest. They gave me a confirmation number I could use to finish the booking quickly once I had things settled. I called Delta, and after speaking to two reps I got the changes made that I needed. Then I called Virgin back and finalized my award booking through them to get the D1 leg finalized.

So, in short, it cost me around 5 hours of my time and just shy of $200 more but I got the D1 upgrade I wanted for my wife and myself. I still think it was worth it. Thanks for the help everyone.
Hoyaheel and Pocatello like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Fairly-new Silver here flying DAB-ATL-CMH Thursday.

How do same-day standby requests work with regard to the lead time to finding out if they clear? Is it something which might see the change to the new flights confirmed several hours before departure or something which would require going to the airport and hoping to get on?
Old May 15, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by JSprague24
Fairly-new Silver here flying DAB-ATL-CMH Thursday.

How do same-day standby requests work with regard to the lead time to finding out if they clear? Is it something which might see the change to the new flights confirmed several hours before departure or something which would require going to the airport and hoping to get on?
Important that you read the rules and conditions https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change

As a Silver you can only do same day standby (SDS) for an earlier flight than you are booked on and only if a same day change isn't available. You can't do it until checkin for your flight.

You will find out at the gate, for the fligt you are SDS'ing for - not before. The only people behind you on the Standby List will probably be NRSA (nonrev space available).
Old May 17, 2022, 12:01 pm

I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find a thread about it searching.

How long does it take from submitting a status match for Delta to grant the temporary status? I have a trip coming up on the 21st and am thinking of switching over to DL from AS.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:56 pm

can I stand by for a flight that is considered an 'illegal' connection? Historically the flight gets in early enough that I can make the connection, it is only under the limit to allow booking by like 10 minutes. Just curious if I can do same day standby in this situation?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jiggs
can I stand by for a flight that is considered an 'illegal' connection? Historically the flight gets in early enough that I can make the connection, it is only under the limit to allow booking by like 10 minutes. Just curious if I can do same day standby in this situation?
Yep, as long as you're there when they clear you and can board. I once made a 20-minute connection from an international to domestic flight this way
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Yep, as long as you're there when they clear you and can board. I once made a 20-minute connection from an international to domestic flight this way
Were you added to the standby list by phone (I've been told that the DM line cannot do a SDC after an international arrival as it must be done in person at the airport), at the service desk after exiting customs, in the lounge, or by the GA at the gate?
Old May 17, 2022, 2:25 pm

Were you added to the standby list by phone (I've been told that the DM line cannot do a SDC after an international arrival as it must be done in person at the airport), at the service desk after exiting customs, in the lounge, or by the GA at the gate?
I showed up at the gate and asked "do you still have any standby space on this flight?"
Old May 17, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by mattdk88
I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find a thread about it searching.

How long does it take from submitting a status match for Delta to grant the temporary status? I have a trip coming up on the 21st and am thinking of switching over to DL from AS.
Up to 14 days if I remember correctly. But definitely not 3 days
mattdk88 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I've done it after international flights by asking at the counter just outside customs/baggage claim, for sure Atlanta and possibly Detroit. It worked at least once ;-) But I was Silver at the time and had to pay. Still worth it!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.