Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
BOG-JFK, the product masquerading as Delta One

PDB of what appeared to be a half pour of prosecco in a plastic cup was offered. Then the meal was a choice of salami or veggie sandwich. This was a noticable step up from the sadwiches that inhabit the first class cabins of the Lower 48, in that there is a good amount of meat and veggies in there, but still a poor substitute for a hot meal. After that and a double woodford on the rocks, it was naptime until descent into JFK.

Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
wow this sounds really good.
It sounds like DL is continuing to go after the SEA market.
doubleA likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Still cracking up over the terms "Happy Box" and "Sad Box" lol
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by mspdoc
Has anyone else tried asking for one of the snack boxes in place of a meal in F? I do a bunch of weekend father/son and father/daughter trips and the kids enjoyed the boxes over the summer. They don’t like the new meal offerings as much. So far up until now it’s been no problem to have a box brought up from the back. Tonight the FA said she couldn’t do that, Delta won’t let them be given away in F and the only option would be one of the meal choices. I even offered to pay for it but she said she couldn’t do that either. Is that an unreasonable request? If so I’ll stop asking. I was never a fan of the boxes but the kids loved them.
In F today MKE-SLC FA asked if you wanted the meal (box) or a snack box.

I had the meal box. Which was full of snacks. Just more breakfasty.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mspdoc
Has anyone else tried asking for one of the snack boxes in place of a meal in F? I do a bunch of weekend father/son and father/daughter trips and the kids enjoyed the boxes over the summer. They don’t like the new meal offerings as much. So far up until now it’s been no problem to have a box brought up from the back. Tonight the FA said she couldn’t do that, Delta won’t let them be given away in F and the only option would be one of the meal choices. I even offered to pay for it but she said she couldn’t do that either. Is that an unreasonable request? If so I’ll stop asking. I was never a fan of the boxes but the kids loved them.
If meal box loaded they're not supposed to give out snack boxes for free. However if willing to pay and Y has been offered, they're allowed.. IME most FA I'VE seen will just give it free regardless.
mspdoc likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If meal box loaded they're not supposed to give out snack boxes for free. However if willing to pay and Y has been offered, they're allowed.. IME most FA I'VE seen will just give it free regardless.
I was on a flight a couple weeks ago in the last row of F and all they had left was the tomato/mozzarella sandwich...that I declined...as did the person in the seat next to me. A little while later the FA returned with the snack boxes and offered them to both of us.
flyerCO and DiverDave like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
im on SEA/JFK tonight; will update with a pic and review of the halibut.

FYI: they also gave out sparkling wine as a PDB for the D1 cabin on this A333 tonight!
Here's the Poulet Rouge on the outbound of SEA-AMS on 28-OCT and the pre-arrival pancake meal. The only thing missing from the pancakes was maple syrup otherwise it was perfect - I stole some syrup packets in the AMS Crown Lounge on the return in case I faced the same dilemma. Not exactly "forget your cares" level of service, but best I've seen so far.

hhdl likes this.

Last edited by doubleA; Nov 12, 2021 at 1:50 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
I received a very wrinkly but not yet unwrapped Tumi D1 kit SEA-AMS on 28-OCT, but on 2-NOV return AMS-SEA we were offered an E+ packet that I didn't even look at twice. The 2nd D1 FA (not the purser) came around and offered me compensation on her phone, she offered 5,000 miles for the amenity kit and I accepted. I mostly keep them in the spare bathroom drawer for guests that could use... well... an amenity kit. I left the E+ one on the plane and the Tumi one holds its rightful place at the top of the drawer. I of course fly with everything I need already but damn I do love those pouches for random stuff.

Edit: This was meant to quote something but given how these scrollable threads work I can't be bothered to find the quote.

Last edited by doubleA; Nov 12, 2021 at 2:11 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:04 pm

PS TATL Catering?

Flew AMS-SEA in PS on 11/8 and was confused to see the exact same food options and plating being served in PS as were offered in economy. Chalk this one up to a catering issue, or were my expectations too high? Also, I get the emphasis on plastic reduction, but wooden cutlery just doesn't do it for me...
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Two meals to report:

November 10, 2021 BOS-LAX DL346 Delta One Lunch

No PDBs offered, no amenity kit.

Options:

I chose the sea bass. It was slightly overcooked but still edible.

November 12, 2021 LAX-BOS Delta One Lunch

No PDBs offered, no amenity kit.

Options:

I chose the meatballs, hoping that they'd be as good as the ones I had last year in first class. I was not disappointed. They were great!

The salad came with what appeared to be an olive tapenade. The salad also had these things on the bottom, which I can't identify, although they were quite good. They had the texture of cooked carrots, were mildly sweet, with hints of sweet potato, and appeared to be layered like some kind of root vegetable.

Anyone know what these are?
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by diburning

Anyone know what these are?
Looks like beets, maybe?
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by TheDrPhil
Flew AMS-SEA in PS on 11/8 and was confused to see the exact same food options and plating being served in PS as were offered in economy. Chalk this one up to a catering issue, or were my expectations too high? Also, I get the emphasis on plastic reduction, but wooden cutlery just doesn't do it for me...
PS is getting the same food as economy for a while now. No catering issue, just cost cutting.
dw, RaflW, TheDrPhil and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
AMS-MSP.
Pleasant, friendly & attentive crew. Prosecco offered as PDB.
Pre-selected one of the 'limited'options; Pan fried cod with lobster sauce and baby dutch shrimp, sauteed spinach, pickled red onions and roasted new potatoes. Enjoyed it, the cod was a little bit dry.

Almost there: good old crabcake salad (other choice was the hamburger)

Old Nov 14, 2021, 5:44 pm

5+ hours on this 332 ATL-SEA and all they have for "dinner" are the sad boxes. The grain bowl is pathetic.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
5+ hours on this 332 ATL-SEA and all they have for "dinner" are the sad boxes. The grain bowl is pathetic.
but the shareholders! They’re happier than ever.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.