Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by CDF
I was scrolling through the posts and didn't see anything related to a question I have. If I missed it I apologize. According to the accelerator web page,
  • Round-trip purchased in Main Cabin, with padi upgrade to First Class with miles qualifies for 1.75% MQM
  • Example: MQMs: 2,284 base MQMs for flown cabin x 1.75 = 3,997 Total Earned MQMs
Should an upgrade using upgrade certificates qualify for the same 1.75% bonus? It looks like if I were to use miles to upgrade I get the bonus MQM but I'm finding that isn't the case. I used an upgrade certificate on a recent flight for one segment (main cabin) that upgraded me into FC. For that one segment, even thought the flown cabin was FC, I only received the 50% additional miles and not 75%.

Is it only upgrades with miles that count? Just curious since the examples DL uses on that page indicates cabin flown. Thanks for your responses.

I think that the answer is "It depends". Or maybe "your mileage may vary".

Last week, I had a PDX-ATL-PDX round trip. Nonstop flights in both directions. I used two RUCs so that I could enjoy the lay-flat seats on the 767s. For each flight I received 2172 MQMs + 1629 "Bonus MQMs". That works out to 75%.

I think that the official answer is supposed to be "no", and that it only applies to "paid" upgrades, but I have had it go both ways and I figure I am ahead enough that it might be dumb to call and bring their attention to it.

Edit: something that I just noticed, which might be in play - I am pretty sure that I got the bonus on certificates that cleared prior to checkin, and didn't get the bonus for the ones that cleared at the gate. So that could be a factor?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:58 am
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
I may call and check just to see. I have another trip I need to book that will get me to my Platinum status for next year if I get the 1.75 MQM/MQD. I was going to use a certificate on one leg of this new trip but may not depending on what DL says about the last certificate I used. Thanks for the response.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How it is "supposed" to work is clearly answered in the FAQs -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...on-accelerator
  • If you are upgraded to a premium cabin using an Upgrade Certificate or through a Complimentary Upgrade, you will earn bonuses based on the cabin you paid for, not the cabin you were upgraded to.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by CDF
Should an upgrade using upgrade certificates qualify for the same 1.75% bonus? It looks like if I were to use miles to upgrade I get the bonus MQM but I'm finding that isn't the case. I used an upgrade certificate on a recent flight for one segment (main cabin) that upgraded me into FC. For that one segment, even thought the flown cabin was FC, I only received the 50% additional miles and not 75%.

Is it only upgrades with miles that count? Just curious since the examples DL uses on that page indicates cabin flown. Thanks for your responses.
Scroll further down to the FAQs:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...on-accelerator
How will bonuses work on Upgrade Certificates and Complimentary Upgrades?

If you are upgraded to a premium cabin using an Upgrade Certificate or through a Complimentary Upgrade, you will earn bonuses based on the cabin you paid for, not the cabin you were upgraded to.
That being said, I think we've seen DPs of all of (1) no bonus at all (posting error), (2) main cabin bonus (expected), (3) 1.75 bonus (incorrectly, according to the terms, but who's going to complain if it happens...)
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL Vacations packages can generate more base MQDs than spend due to being based on distance and are promo eligible. Packages w/hotel are available from around $800 in C+ for RDU-ANC/FAI and can generate around 2800 MQDs and 14K MQMs with promo bonus.
I can't find where it shows the MQD or MQM calculations for Delta Vacations.

I do see that they are offering a lot of Bonus miles, but they specifically say that these do not count towards Medallion status.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure what you mean by most efficient. Least time expenditure for you?

You have about 15% of the MQDs needed for GM and a bit over 50% of the MQMs. If you buy premium cabin fare tickets, you need to give DL about $2900 to meet the $6000 MQD requirement: (6000-913)/1.75 = 2907.

If you want to go to Alaska for a few days, this could be a fun way to earn a lot of MQMs from domestic travel, but hotel and rental car prices are high if you can even get a reservation. The schedules to Alaska aren't good for "pure" mileage runs.

Otherwise you could consider a couple out and back trips to the west coast, perhaps routed with the connections that give you more MQMs, especially since any extra MQMs will rollover assuming you at least get to the $3000 MQD requirement for FO. You can avoid needing to pay for a hotel if you're willing to do an overnight redeye on the return.

I'd avoid international and Hawaii because of the constantly changing testing etc. requirements.
We were looking at Alaska in September for a family vacation, but backed out due to high prices for accommodations and it was impossible to find a rental car as we wanted to do a lot of driving instead of just staying near Anchorage.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by seawolf06
We were looking at Alaska in September for a family vacation, but backed out due to high prices for accommodations and it was impossible to find a rental car as we wanted to do a lot of driving instead of just staying near Anchorage.
You think Alaska’s bad, just look at Hawaii. Hotels that are usually priced between $250-$300/night before taxes/fees are up to $600-$700/night before taxes/fees! It’s crazy right now! Thankfully Vacation rentals weren’t nearly as expensive and I was able to get a beautiful condo on the big island for half the price of a standard hotel room.
gotmilk8 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:34 pm

It look like Delta's MQM and MQD estimate at the bottom of the flight confirmation page (before purchase) seem to be showing MQM and MQD estimates with the accelerator bonus. Is this just me or has anyone else noticed this? It stood out because the MQD estimate is higher than the cost of the flight.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
See the same FAQ I referred to above and click to expand "How do you earn towards Medallion Status by purchasing a Delta Vacations package?"
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sekiya
Update: Finally bonus is posted for the May 6th and 20th award flight (N) with RUC cleared after booking. However, the bonus is 75% MQM and MQD, which is expected to be 50%. Let's see if they will retrieve it. I didn't call or file a complaint so everything is automatic.
I have had two roundtrips this year. All were originally booked in coach, and three of the four legs had RUCs applied either at booking or shortly afterwards. All three of those got the correct accelerator bonus of 50%.

The fourth (return leg) was eventually upfared to First Class, and that leg accrued the 50% class of service bonus and the 75% accelerator bonus. I wanted to upfare the outbound leg of that trip also, but the Delta agent refused and said it could not be done. It was a travel agency ticket.

I was later told by another agent, that so many tickets are being refunded these days that Delta does not want to take over agency tickets until the outbound leg is flown. I was not able to upfare the ticket until the outbound was flown, so maybe that is correct. It was very annoying as the upfare after the outbound was flown cost slightly more than it would have cost to upfare the whole ticket right after booking.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt80
It look like Delta's MQM and MQD estimate at the bottom of the flight confirmation page (before purchase) seem to be showing MQM and MQD estimates with the accelerator bonus. Is this just me or has anyone else noticed this? It stood out because the MQD estimate is higher than the cost of the flight.
Yes, they are including the Accelerator bonus in calculator output now. They are even using the 75.33% bonus figure for FC tickets.
vbscript2 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, they are including the Accelerator bonus in calculator output now. They are even using the 75.33% bonus figure for FC tickets.
Thanks for confirming. Good to see Delta doing this now.
vbscript2 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:52 pm

Pulling this over from the long hold times thread, where there was a sub-thread about months-long waits for responses to the web feedback form:

Originally Posted by Zorak
I still have never heard back on a web form comment I submitted in late April, regarding an incorrect accelerator posting. However I recently made a web form complaint about slow response times (both web form and phone wait times) and got a phone call literally within 15 minutes from someone, who although they weren't able to offer much beyond apologies and the explanations others have mentioned receiving (i.e. nothing new to add there). They did say they researched my April case and that (1) accelerator promo issues are apparently being handled by a dedicated team (2) there was a record of someone replying to me already (but which I never received) (3) she resubmitted a request to the accelerator team and told me to email them back if it doesn't get resolved.
I noticed that my MQMs/MQDs changed slightly today without having any flight activity that would explain it. Drilled down further and found that although they still haven't fixed the April trip (which will add ~$500 MQDs when fixed) they did fix a shorter/cheaper trip that I hadn't asked about because the amounts involved were tiny ($18 more MQDs, woohoo! also a bunch of MQMs but I'm swimming in those already and don't care as much)

so maybe they are slowly working their way backwards in fixing mistaken postings?
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
Pulling this over from the long hold times thread, where there was a sub-thread about months-long waits for responses to the web feedback form:

I noticed that my MQMs/MQDs changed slightly today without having any flight activity that would explain it. Drilled down further and found that although they still haven't fixed the April trip (which will add ~$500 MQDs when fixed) they did fix a shorter/cheaper trip that I hadn't asked about because the amounts involved were tiny ($18 more MQDs, woohoo! also a bunch of MQMs but I'm swimming in those already and don't care as much)

so maybe they are slowly working their way backwards in fixing mistaken postings?
I followed your path and submitted a second complaint that they haven't responded to my first complaint from June about an incorrect accelerator posting. So far, all I've received is an online survey asking, "How are we doing?"
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:55 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I do see that they are offering a lot of Bonus miles, but they specifically say that these do not count towards Medallion status.
Medallion Status Accelerators (delta.com) toward the middle of the page, accelerator and dl vacation is discussed [when the accelerator was first offered "minimal" detail was given, they've since added examples:
How do you earn towards Medallion Status by purchasing a Delta Vacations package?
You earn MQMs and MQSs like you normally would on Delta tickets:
MQMs: based on distance flown and the fare class bonus
MQSs: 1 MQSs per segment of your trip
MQDs: Delta Vacations tickets are Exception Fares. Exception Fare classes (Delta-ticketed only) earn MQDs based on the distance flown multiplied by a percentage based on the fare class, then divided by 5. The percentage multiplier based on the fare class is as follows:
Delta One®/First Class/Delta Premium Select - J, C, D, I, Z, F, P, A, G: 150% of distance flown
Full Fare Main Cabin/ Delta Comfort+® - Y, B, M, W, S: 100% of distance flown
Main Cabin and Discounted Main Cabin - H, Q, K, L: 75% of distance flown
Deeply Discounted Main Cabin - U, T, X, V, E: 50% of distance flown
A 50% or 75% bonus will be applied to MQMs, MQSs and MQDs, depending on the cabin you purchased .
For example, if you book a roundtrip, non-stop, Deeply Discounted Main Cabin Ticket (T fare class) through Delta Vacations, and the roundtrip flight distance is 3,000 miles, here is how you would calculate your MQDs:
3,000*50%=1,500; 1,500/5= 300; 300 + 150 (50% of 300 -– the Main Cabin Accelerator bonus) = 450 MQDs
If you booked that same roundtrip, non-stop flight in First Class (Z fare class), here is how you would calculate your MQDs:
3,000*150%= 4,500; 4,500/5= 900; 900 + 675 (75% of 900 – the First Class Accelerator bonus) = 1,575 MQDs
Note: Delta Vacations tickets that are operated by Delta are the only exception fares that are eligible for the 2022 Medallion Status Accelerator bonuses.
gotmilk8 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.