Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by holocker
Does the fee waiver apply to award tickets booked this month?
Originally Posted by chix
Yes!
Have you seen this stated somewhere?
I have an award ticket (SEA-LIS April 27 - May 5th). Also it was purchased by a friend for me so it may make matters even more complicated.
Delta policy https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...#transatlantic seems to cover my flight, but talks about the "value" of the ticket (... apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year...)
I have the option to Modify or Cancel the flight online:
  • The Modify option failed.
  • The cancel one doesn't give any indication about fees or that the points will be returned.
Any pointers appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
Can basic economy tickets be changed under this waiver, I only see the option to cancel online. I called yesterday at 1pm and requested a callback but never received one.
Yes, all purchased tickets are covered: "Affected Customers: All Tickets Issued on or before March 9, 2020"
Here's the link on delta's site: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...travel-updates
I'm not sure about award tickets.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mglvrug
I too got contradictory information in person at ATL and by phone. My remaining question: if I cancel my trip (an expensive international ticket), do I have to rebook that same trip on another date before Feb. 25, 2021? Or does the value of my original ticket become credit that I can use on multiple less expensive bookings like a normal credit?
You original cancelled ticket will become a credit you can use anywhere for one or multiple trips domestic or international.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by travelina
You original cancelled ticket will become a credit you can use anywhere for one or multiple trips domestic or international.

Many thanks, travelina. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM
Just bought ticket yesterday for a conferenced cancelled this morning. I cannot get make any progress on the 24-hour cancellation process on either the app or web, I keep on getting the "Oh No! We're sorry but we are unable to cancel your itinerary online..." message and recommends calling. The 24-hour cancel has always been the most foolproof change option on the Delta website, it's a shame that this is down now as they don't need extra call volume. I'm going to assume DL will refund these tickets outside the 24 hour period since the system is down and I've received emails to refrain from calling unless traveling within 72 hours.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:02 am

Agree. Not worth increasing their call volume; they will likely honor the refunds later.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ajggiant
Just bought ticket yesterday for a conferenced cancelled this morning. I cannot get make any progress on the 24-hour cancellation process on either the app or web, I keep on getting the "Oh No! We're sorry but we are unable to cancel your itinerary online..." message and recommends calling. The 24-hour cancel has always been the most foolproof change option on the Delta website, it's a shame that this is down now as they don't need extra call volume. I'm going to assume DL will refund these tickets outside the 24 hour period since the system is down and I've received emails to refrain from calling unless traveling within 72 hours.
Exact same issue here. Just make sure to take screenshots of your attempted cancellation in the event that Delta starts pushing back on cancellations. I am not calling yet because the flight was booked for summer so I have plenty of time to resolve this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Same exact situation here. Per the Twitter rep:

I also noticed it took an hour or two for the credit to show up in the wallet with its associated value less $200.
I also canceled via Twitter, got the same message. Just checked my wallet, and cancellation shows up as an unused e-ticket for the full amount.
ElliottMB and 49penguins like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Dutch101
I also canceled via Twitter, got the same message. Just checked my wallet, and cancellation shows up as an unused e-ticket for the full amount.
Interesting, mine is now showing the full amount two (vs. full amount minus $200 last night). Maybe they are systematically updating them.
AeRoSpaceman and 49penguins like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I just tried to cancel a trip for Monday morning. Website got the "oh no!" error message. I called and got an agent on the phone in less than two minutes. The cancellation process took less than two more minutes. She explained very clearly:

No refund
Full value of the ticket will be issued as a credit
I must re-book prior to 17-Feb-2021
I must re-book over the phone
The credit immediately showed up in the Credits & Certificates section of My Wallet.
The Terms & Conditions of the credit read:

REDEMPTION NOTES
    1. To redeem, you will need the Ticket Number .
    2. Redeem this eCredit when booking travel using any of the channels specified below:
      - Book your reservation quickly and easily online, by visiting www.delta.com/redeem.
      - Call Delta Reservations and advise the agent that you are redeeming a Delta eTicket (a Direct Ticketing Charge may apply). In U.S. and Canada, call 800-221-1212 or 800-225-2525. In Japan, call 0120-120-747 or 0476-31-8000. In all other countries, please contact your local Delta Reservations office.
      - Call Delta Vacations at 800-800-1504 (Travel Agents call: 800-727-1111). This electronic ticket applies exclusively to the air portion of your itinerary.
maxjasper likes this.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Mar 13, 2020 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Interesting, mine is now showing the full amount two (vs. full amount minus $200 last night). Maybe they are systematically updating them.
Same here as well. It is now showing the full amount when yesterday it had the $200 change fee removed. This is smart and will keep the phone lines open for more pressing travelers.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...travel-updates

To help address customers with immediate travel needs, we are asking those who do not have travel in the next 72 hours to refrain from contacting us as we are experiencing high volume. Thank you for your patience and partnership as we work through this unprecedented situation.

If you are traveling in the next couple of days and meet the coronavirus waiver conditions, please know that we can still process a refund or reservation change for an un-flown ticket if you can’t get through before your scheduled departure.

We will continue to provide updates as the situation evolves.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My travel plans are more than 72 hours out and I'm in no hurry to cancel them ahead of time. If the flights end up getting cancelled, that opens up the option of an outright refund. Luckily my flights are just a couple of cheap domestic flights but I only occasionally fly DL so money is better than credits.
49penguins likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by thedillybar
Same issue here on three different itineraries. When you first hit cancel, you get the "Oh no!" message.

If you go back to my trips and hit "Start flight cancellation" again, you get the "Request refund" message.

After one email exchange with customer service, it APPEARS that if you get the "Request Refund" screen then the itinerary has been cancelled.

But who knows.
Did you by chance get any confirmation of either the cancellation or refund request? Most people get emails but not sure about the cases for the past few days.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:19 pm

Sorry if this is repetitive. I’m still a little uncertain. Delta’s website says
  • Ticket Can Be Changed One-Time To An Alternate Itinerary. Must Be Re-issued On/Before: February 28, 2021
Under that under “rescheduling flights” it says
You may choose to cancel your trip, and use the value towards a future flight.
  • You may cancel your flight and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original issue date.
  • The change fee will be waived, however fare difference will apply for new travel dates and will be collected at the time of booking the new ticket

Can we effectively ignore the “one time” thing and it’s just you can cancel and get flight credit to be used within a year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.