Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Old Mar 22, 20, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tearex
Delta: Can I Cancel/Change My Flight?

Some important info about award tickets is buried on the Coronavirus Travel Updates overview page: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/coronavirus-travel/overview

Click to expand FAQs at the bottom, item 10:

10. What if I paid for my original trip with miles?

The same rules apply whether a flight is booked with cash or miles. For award flights that qualify for a change fee waiver, we are also waiving the mile redeposit fee.
i.e. if the same ticket would be eligible for a change fee waiver if it were a cash ticket, then it is eligible for a waived redeposit fee as an award ticket.

Refund Status Checker: https://www.delta.com/refunds/checkRefundsStatusAction.action

Print Wikipost

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Old Mar 12, 20, 10:01 am

This is for one change only right? I need to change my departure date but depending on how Covid-19 continues, may also need to change my return. I was hoping I'd have the flexibility to do that. Would it make more sense to cancel and rebooking the outbound date I want to maintain that flexibility?

Last edited by James91; Mar 12, 20 at 10:13 am
Old Mar 12, 20, 10:11 am

I'm not trying to rebook (though that's not even an option on the site, only cancellation) I'm trying to cancel and get the funds to use later.
Old Mar 12, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Titanium DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by resolute View Post
Yes- they are ALWAYS like that.... If there is a fee waiver, it is NOT indicated on what you see in your wallet. And, yes, you DO have to CALL to rebook it if you do not want to lose the $200 - I've done it many times...
Great. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 20, 11:04 am

Has anyone tried to cancel or modify a Delta Vacation booking? I on 3/25 and don't see the new waivers applying to Delta Vacations.
Old Mar 12, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Similar story - I tried to cancel a Main Cabin ticket DCA-YUL that was purchased with money (not miles) in January for travel March 17 online and it was showing a $256 cancellation fee. I've been on hold waiting to speak to an agent. Hold times are over 4 hours as a Silver Medallion
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by fishfly View Post
Has anyone tried to cancel or modify a Delta Vacation booking? I on 3/25 and don't see the new waivers applying to Delta Vacations.
I'm in the same boat. The waiver posted on the delta vacations website is not very clear to me--sounds like the only option is to rebook--but how do we know when the outbreak will be over?
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306 View Post
Similar story - I tried to cancel a Main Cabin ticket DCA-YUL that was purchased with money (not miles) in January for travel March 17 online and it was showing a $256 cancellation fee. I've been on hold waiting to speak to an agent. Hold times are over 4 hours as a Silver Medallion
screenshot policy cancel and chargeback if necessary
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:28 pm

Same issue here -- trying to cancel (for credit, not refund) JFK-MEL RT beginning 4/6 and getting $400 "cancellation fee" shown even though this should have a waiver per the DL coronavirus policy. Holding off on the final click for now -- may try to call DL after the Europe rush abates (and/or in the middle of the night). No status on DL so on the regular #.

(Policy from Delta website applicable to this: You may choose to cancel your trip, and use the value towards a future flight. You may cancel your flight and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original issue date. The change fee will be waived, however fare difference will apply for new travel dates and will be collected at the time of booking the new ticket. To cancel your flight, visit My Trips on delta.com and click on "Modify Flight" then choose "Start Flight Cancelation".

This is as opposed to the option above, which is "Change to a different flight.")
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:35 pm

Mine wouldn't even give me an estimate. Said I had to submit the application and wait and see. I'll keep an eye on it and call if the refund amount is ridiculous. I'd rather take a credit.
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:58 pm

Call Delta is waiving fees for tickets booked before March 1, no refunds though.
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306 View Post
I ended up getting through to an agent in 2 hours versus the 4 hours the system said when I first called in.

The agent was friendly and helpful - she said we have to call in to ensure the change fee isn't applied. She also said that we'd have to call in when we book the new reservation to have the full credit applied - otherwise, the online system will automatically deduct the $200 change fee. She said the reservation will be placed on hold and I will have until January 2021 to use it given the ticket was booked in January 2020

I don't show any record of the credit in my online wallet or elsewhere on the website or app, so hopefully there is a document of this somewhere on their end or this will show up in my account some time in the near future. The agent told me to record the ticket number, which I did and she also said the agents should be able to see it under my SkyMiles number.

The agent was very professional and helpful though I do wish that Delta had enabled the ability to take advantage of their waiver online rather than having to call in.
49penguins likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:17 pm

They promised one change due to Corona virus. Called customer service

Called customer service, they said will call back due to queue. Received callin 10 hours. Agent said will transfer to reservation desk. On hold music for 1 hour. Worst experience ever!
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Any idea what Delta is doing when trip is canceled after flying the first leg. I was at the LAX skyclub last night when our president gave his speech. People were on their trips, having flown into LA to catch a connecting flight. Can you cancel after flying 1 leg?
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Do you imagine that this applies to all 006-ticketed tickets? The text says "Valid for all destinations served by Delta", so would it apply if the ticket only includes AF flights with their own flight numbers? The origin is served by a DL flight, which I guess would technically satisfy the requirement.
Old Mar 12, 20, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by FC flyer View Post
Any idea what Delta is doing when trip is canceled after flying the first leg. I was at the LAX skyclub last night when our president gave his speech. People were on their trips, having flown into LA to catch a connecting flight. Can you cancel after flying 1 leg?
Delta will have to take their resolutions on a case by case basis.

Search this Thread