Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:01 pm

Unhappy Delta Refund Not Confirmed

I booked a flight with Delta earlier this week and within 24hours I was given the option to either cancel or request a refund. These were two different options from two different attempts as the website would not let me carry out anything completely online. The first time it said I had the option to cancel, the second time I was given the option to refund my flight. The first time it would not let me complete the cancellation. So when I logged back on again the second time around I had clicked to refund the flight but it said that the action could not be completed either. However, when I called customer service, they said that my ticket was voided as I had requested a refund, but from what I knew it never went through and my Delta App said I still had a valid ticket. Shortly after hanging up I checked my Delta App and the flight that I had suddenly disappeared. However, I had never received a refund request confirmation despite the representative saying it will be processed. Should I trust that this refund has been filed regardless of not having received an email confirmation? I plan on calling them again today to make sure of this, but I would like other people's input on this as well.

EDIT: I have called customer service and they said they cannot do anything other than confirm that my ticket has been voided, however this leaves me with no confirmation emails of either the cancellation or refund as well as no flight credit I sympathize with the representatives due to the high call volumes, but this whole thing has been very confusing. Has this ever happened to anyone before?
maxjasper likes this.

Last edited by quincy15; Mar 12, 2020 at 4:08 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I'm in the same boat. The waiver posted on the delta vacations website is not very clear to me--sounds like the only option is to rebook--but how do we know when the outbreak will be over?
I canceled a Delta Vacation package on Monday under the Delta waiver for any flights scheduled in March. I received a Delta Vacations voucher for the full purchase price (including the trip protection). I have to apply this voucher to a new vacation (anywhere) within 90 days, for travel any time in the next 12 months. My other option was to rebook immediately - which I think would still be changeable under the other waiver for any flights booked this month.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Thanks - I will keep beating the drum of reason and understanding math

--
That said, big (especially public) corporations, certainly need to at least pretend to care. So, as a business owner, we've sent out notices to our team to make sure they are healthy and safe.
We haven't changed any travel plans, and don't intend to... but...

Do you know what scares companies more than coronavirus?
Lawsuits.

So, I'll keep shouting, as an individual and not a business owner - that this is the most massive overreaction in history.
But, I totally see how companies want to not 'put their employees at risk' - even when they know their teams driving to work every day are 1000x more risky than catching a mutated flu virus on the road.
Wow man, I can't believe anyone could be so far off base. The overreaction is to mitigate a long drawn out Italy situation. It's about flattening the curve, it's about keeping the number of intensive care unit beds above the number of people that need them. Sorry, but you are completely off base here. Then again maybe you've had a change of heart in the last eight days, lol. just realizing now that this was an old post.
orca15 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by uitailgater
I canceled a Delta Vacation package on Monday under the Delta waiver for any flights scheduled in March. I received a Delta Vacations voucher for the full purchase price (including the trip protection). I have to apply this voucher to a new vacation (anywhere) within 90 days, for travel any time in the next 12 months. My other option was to rebook immediately - which I think would still be changeable under the other waiver for any flights booked this month.
Thank you! So it was 12 months from the date you cancelled and not from when originally booked? That would be very handy since I booked back in August.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:31 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
quincy15, welcome to FlyerTalk. Let me move this thread to the Delta SkyMiles forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:34 pm

It sounds from these two options that "Cancel" only cancels your ticket for that specific flight while Delta keeps your payment as credit for another flight....hopefully.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Thank you! So it was 12 months from the date you cancelled and not from when originally booked? That would be very handy since I booked back in August.
Yes that's what they told me on the phone - 12 months from the day the voucher was created. But they are snail-mailing the voucher, so I haven't seen the terms on it yet.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by uitailgater
Yes that's what they told me on the phone - 12 months from the day the voucher was created. But they are snail-mailing the voucher, so I haven't seen the terms on it yet.

How long was the wait to speak with someone from Delta Vacations?

Were they able to give you the voucher number?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:04 pm

I have a round trip to Prague, combined DL/KLM flights on Delta ticket bought from Delta.com, travel initiating next week. Now that the Prague airport is closed for 30 days, will I just automatically get a refund, without even calling? What about the additional $150 paid through Delta.com separately for economy comfort seats on 1 KLM flight?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:16 pm

Are they doing full refunds back to the credit card? Or are they just doing refund to credit at this point? I have a trip 4/8-4/13 to Paris from SFO
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by tom_MN
I have a round trip to Prague, combined DL/KLM flights on Delta ticket bought from Delta.com, travel initiating next week. Now that the Prague airport is closed for 30 days, will I just automatically get a refund, without even calling? What about the additional $150 paid through Delta.com separately for economy comfort seats on 1 KLM flight?
i don't think the Prague airport is closed, just that many, many flights are cancelled (Unless you're a time traveller, in which case, where does the DOW find its bottom?).
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Did you book on DL.com or an OTA? This doesn't sound like Delta's 24-hour cancel process.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I too got contradictory information in person at ATL and by phone. My remaining question: if I cancel my trip (an expensive international ticket), do I have to rebook that same trip on another date before Feb. 25, 2021? Or does the value of my original ticket become credit that I can use on multiple less expensive bookings like a normal credit?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:55 pm

Can basic economy tickets be changed under this waiver, I only see the option to cancel online. I called yesterday at 1pm and requested a callback but never received one.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by danib62
I'm not trying to rebook (though that's not even an option on the site, only cancellation) I'm trying to cancel and get the funds to use later.
Try twitter DM (@delta).

It took them a few hours to respond yesterday, but once they got to my message in their queue, my request of a cancellation and redeposit of miles (without fee) was done within minutes.

They’ll want your name, skymiles #, PNR, travel date, routing (city pairs), so provide that in your first request to minimize back and forth. And remember, Direct Message - don’t tweet to them in public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.