Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:01 am

Non Refundable

We have tickets and hotel booked and paid for through Delta to go to Oregon 04/01/2020. The event has been cancelled by the Governor. Since we can't go and Delta does not answer the phones (called three times and was disconnected) can I get my money back.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:06 am

If you don’t get on the flight, they will automatically issue a e-credit. Don’t worry about calling

ETA: I do not know about an actual refund to the credit card used, but I imagine that is something you would have to call about. I doubt they will issue a refund if you booked the flight more than 24 hours ago, as they are trying to reserve cash. IMO the automatic e-credit is a very generous offer.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by G0H0KIES
I have a flight on Mar 28 that I need to cancel as my office put all travel on hold. This was booked in Feb. Tried to do it online but the website was charging me cancellation fee of $200. Didn't Delta waived all fees for flights in March and April?
Be careful. I was in the exact same situation except I took it a step further, and now it is a pain in the neck. I cancelled my Mar 28th weekend flights due to the waiver of fees. However, the issued credits subtracted the $200 fees, so I'm currently out $800. Delta Twitter has been unresponsive to my repeated requests for help. Looks like Delta website chat is gone/disabled. I will need to call it in and wait on hold, or just try to dispute it with my credit card if this continues.

If it does not show you getting a full credit, I would recommend not continuing or else you might end up in my shoes. In contrast, United's website worked flawless to show the credit amount when cancelling another trip...
sdadept and G0H0KIES like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI
Originally Posted by flyerCO
if you noshow DL will automatically place it as a full credit (for flights in March/April)
Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: HH Silver
What about if they cancel the flight? I am scheduled to fly SEA-PSP on April 5th, and the flight is showing sold out. I suspect it is cancelled, but it is still showing as a valid trip in my account.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by tatterdema
What about if they cancel the flight? I am scheduled to fly SEA-PSP on April 5th, and the flight is showing sold out. I suspect it is cancelled, but it is still showing as a valid trip in my account.
It's zero'd out, so it's almost certainly going to get the axe. You'll be able to receive a full refund once the system processes the cancellation closer to the flight date.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bob36
We have tickets and hotel booked and paid for through Delta to go to Oregon 04/01/2020. The event has been cancelled by the Governor. Since we can't go and Delta does not answer the phones (called three times and was disconnected) can I get my money back.
Was this a Delta Vacation package, if the hotel is non-refundable and you didn't buy insurance DV plays "hard ball" with the hotel portion--but under the present circumstances, they are a bit nicer. But if you get a voucher and don't rebook it isn't much of a gain.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ekozie
It's zero'd out, so it's almost certainly going to get the axe. You'll be able to receive a full refund once the system processes the cancellation closer to the flight date.
Thanks. I was hoping I would get a refund and not just rebooked on one of the flights that stop in SLC. Now need to decide, stay home or rebook on AS...
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is this DL or Delta Vacations (which is not DL)?

The air tickets are easy. If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment. For that reason, I would not do anything yet. It sounds as though your flight may well be cancelled and thus you should wait until that happens.

Can't speak to the hotel without knowing both the terms & conditions of the booking and then the policy in effect for Covid-19. If there is a penalty, check your travel insurance. If you would provide better details, it will be easier to provide more concrete advice.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by tatterdema
If they cancel the flight they owe you a refund.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Often1
Is this DL or Delta Vacations (which is not DL)?

The air tickets are easy. If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment. For that reason, I would not do anything yet. It sounds as though your flight may well be cancelled and thus you should wait until that happens.

Can't speak to the hotel without knowing both the terms & conditions of the booking and then the policy in effect for Covid-19. If there is a penalty, check your travel insurance. If you would provide better details, it will be easier to provide more concrete advice.
Most hotel chains are offering refunds, even for nonrefundable bookings. Travel insurance generally doesn't cover pandemics.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ekozie
Most hotel chains are offering refunds, even for nonrefundable bookings. Travel insurance generally doesn't cover pandemics.
I would not rely on "most" either as to hotels or insurance. Without specifics from OP, that's the best he gets, e.g. "most".

Worth noting that many properties are not refunding, but offering credits / changes. For frequent travelers, that's fine. Not so much for a one-off.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ovidiu Todoran
Have you seen this stated somewhere?
I have an award ticket (SEA-LIS April 27 - May 5th). Also it was purchased by a friend for me so it may make matters even more complicated.
Delta policy https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...#transatlantic seems to cover my flight, but talks about the "value" of the ticket (... apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year...)
I have the option to Modify or Cancel the flight online:
  • The Modify option failed.
  • The cancel one doesn't give any indication about fees or that the points will be returned.
Any pointers appreciated.
Found today the answer to my own question on the updated delta website (https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...travel-updates):
9. What if I paid in miles?
 The same rules apply whether a flight is booked with cash or miles. For award flights that qualify for a change fee waiver (including travel dates in March or April 2020, or tickets purchased in March 2020), we are also waiving the mile redeposit fee. 
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by sleuth
If you were booked on DL144 and it cancelled, you’re entitled to a full refund now. You don’t need to wait for DL142 to cancel.
Can a refund be processed online? It seems only for cancelations (conversion into e-credit). I have tried calling the DL hotlines the past two days and have not received a call back.

The cancelation of all SEA-AMS flights has not filtered through the "Manage My Bookings" page, so it is still showing DL142 as operating.

Last edited by hikouki; Mar 16, 2020 at 4:21 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bloc0102
The waiver has been extended to cover all destinations for travel through 4/30:​​​​
  • Affected Customers: All Tickets Issued on or before March 9, 2020
  • Impacted Travel Date(s): March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020
  • New Ticket Must Be Re-issued On/Before: Dec 31, 2020
  • Rebooked Travel Must Begin No Later Than: Dec 31, 2020
Still too restrictive. People might simply not being able to travel this year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.