Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lucycan
So ever since the system changed they have no idea who I am. And when I call I just get lumped into the line with everyone else. When they call me back (if they even do) they ask for my info.

How can this be? How do I update (whatever system) to have it recognize the number I am calling from?

How could Delta take a 15+ year step BACK with a NEW system????
Usually when this happens, it means that your same phone number is attached to 2 different accounts. Is it possible that you created a skymiles account for a child, spouse, relative, musical instrument, etc, and included your phone number? If so, you can remove that number and you will immediately be recognized again when calling.
SamirD and DLASflyer like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
You are correct - it seems to recognize my number, but it treats me worse when I use a number associated with my account than the number in my profile:

Using Number in my Profile:
  • Wait of two hours 39 minutes.
  • No offer of callback or texting representative
Using Number NOT in my Profile:
  • Gives me option of support by text message (system will text me back).
  • If I decline text messaging option, then I am told there is a 2 hour 38 minute wait.
When I used the text messaging option, I was with a representative in about 20 minutes.
I testes this a few times and the results were consistent.

Take away message: If you are Silver, don't call from the number in your profile.
Adding to my prior post here - it seems based on my experience they are giving no priority to FOs - as my waiting time was estimated the same regardless of which line I called from. Priority when calling Delta reservations is actually a stated benefit for SkyMiles Silvers - so Delta is violating its own rules here. https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...omer%20Service
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
Any other ideas for those of us getting lumped into the general pool? I did have my number duplicated in my daughter's skymiles account so I pulled that, resaved everything, but still nothing when I call in. Very frustrating!

Update - I waited 12 hours, tried again, and now the system recognizes me again. So note to others that it's not always instantaneous.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by sharktums; Mar 22, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
That explains why the wait times are terrible, but doesn't explain why the estimates when one initially calls turn out to be so inaccurate.

As noted--mathematically they are either forgetting peoples' place in queue, or they are using inaccurate estimates of the average call time, percentage of folks who abandon a call before being helped, or the number of agents that will be available to answer the queue.

Or they are just spouting random / rosy estimates without any mathematical foundation.

(I'm weirdly interested in this as 20 years ago I learned more than I might care to know about contact center math--though professionals please correct me on the above!)
Hmmm...I've always wondered how they come up with that estimate too! I'll ask her and share what she says.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by sharktums
Any other ideas for those of us getting lumped into the general pool? I did have my number duplicated in my daughter's skymiles account so I pulled that, resaved everything, but still nothing when I call in. Very frustrating!

Update - I waited 12 hours, tried again, and now the system recognizes me again. So note to others that it's not always instantaneous.
Probably because those changes have their own queue to wait in. Glad you got it working!
sharktums likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Just a data point from a no-status peon: at around 7:15pm EDT (give or take) I phoned in, got a message saying an estimated 37-minute hold time. I waited on hold for around an hour, maybe 70 minutes or so before getting an agent.

And, as a side note, she was absolutely excellent. Got everything sorted out quickly and was quite personable and friendly on the phone. I actually waited on hold for the post-call survey to give her a 5!
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Called Monday midday into the PM line. Offered a 25 minute callback. Callback came right at 25 minutes. Friendly agent picked up right away, no additional waiting, and identified herself as on the "Platinum Desk" (haven't heard that phrase in a while). Easily completed my request to get the KLM PNRs on a few reservations we have coming up. Gave her a 5 on the survey.
M60_to_LGA, SamirD and DCAhome like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Called Monday midday into the PM line. Offered a 25 minute callback. Callback came right at 25 minutes. Friendly agent picked up right away, no additional waiting, and identified herself as on the "Platinum Desk" (haven't heard that phrase in a while). Easily completed my request to get the KLM PNRs on a few reservations we have coming up. Gave her a 5 on the survey.
klm.com, klm.us etc. will recognize a Delta PNR, pull up your reservation, and give you the KLM PNR. Which may or may not be easier than your method.
SamirD and GagaPilot like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Whelp the 9154 number appears to have gone the way of Singapore. I guess it’s time to hunt for other numbers.

At least the hold times are now an hour instead of ten.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
So now the last "good" Delta phone number that got us to agents relatively quickly is now gone smh.

Remember there was kind of a secret number 1-855-548-2505 that nobody really knew what it was. My experience with this number was mostly positive, mainly because it was answered within 10 minutes all the time. The agents were relatively new most of them, but they were serviceable for the most part.

Unfortunately, last week 1 of the popular travel blogs VIEW FROM THE WING published this number and encouraged people to call it if they needed help with their travel on Delta. He called it a "workaround". I felt like that was going to be the beginning of the end of it and I was right.

Today I called that number and it was now the awful recording of Delta's main phone number. It found my skymiles number and started the usual prompt routine. It's really a shame because that 1-855 number was so much quicker and convenient. It didn't need my skymiles number or asked numerous questions. Nope it gave a quick recorded message and said "I'LL CONNECT YOU WITH A DELTA REPRESENTATIVE WHO CAN HELP". In 10 minutes or less we got an agent. Just to see what happened now I went through the prompts and questions and waited and waited and waited. 90 minutes later still just the awful hold music was playing so I hung up.

Delta continues to ruin and ruin their phone system each passing week. It's really a shame. And thanks Gary Leff the owner of that blog for expediting its demise.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Meh the 2505 number still seems fine. It just asks your SM number and if you're calling from an airport.

If you are, that's it, you're done, was fast enough not to give me a hold time otherwise it dumps you in the general queue.
jamesteroh and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Meh the 2505 number still seems fine. It just asks your SM number and if you're calling from an airport.

If you are, that's it, you're done, was fast enough not to give me a hold time otherwise it dumps you in the general queue.
Good to know it will still work if you are at the airport and your flight gets delayed or cancelled. I had this number on a card they were handing out in a skyclub to people at ORD when there was bad weather and all flights were cancelled or severlely delayed and put it in my phone but only use it when I'm at an airport and my flight is messed up.

Too bad a blogger had to ruin it by publishing it like they did with the Singapore line.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Delta needs to take notes here, I had to call Alaska a couple hours ago about a schedule change and I was never offered a callback or hold time and someone answered right away. I am a lowly MVP and they are in the middle of an operational meltdown...
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Delta needs to take notes here, I had to call Alaska a couple hours ago about a schedule change and I was never offered a callback or hold time and someone answered right away. I am a lowly MVP and they are in the middle of an operational meltdown...
Noting that the first post in this thread was over two years ago, I would suggest that if DL management had any serious intention of solving this problem, we would have seen some improvement by now.

It is inexcusable for a Diamond to have to wait 1.5 to 2.0 hours to reach an agent in the evening.

Does this mean that the 24 hour cancellation guarantee should be interpreted to be a 22 hour cancellation guarantee, since you have to begin at 10:00 PM in order to meet the 12:00M cut-off?

A new wrinkle... it used to be that if you elected the "I'll wait on hold option" your initial choice was fixed. Now they come back on every 20 minutes or so and ask if you want to hold, or elect for a call back. So, you have to repeatedly reaffirm your "I'll wait on hold" selection.

As I have noted elsewhere, the call back option does not work for me, since the system will not acknowledge any of my key pad inputs.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Noting that the first post in this thread was over two years ago, I would suggest that if DL management had any serious intention of solving this problem, we would have seen some improvement by now.

It is inexcusable for a Diamond to have to wait 1.5 to 2.0 hours to reach an agent in the evening.

Does this mean that the 24 hour cancellation guarantee should be interpreted to be a 22 hour cancellation guarantee, since you have to begin at 10:00 PM in order to meet the 12:00M cut-off?

A new wrinkle... it used to be that if you elected the "I'll wait on hold option" your initial choice was fixed. Now they come back on every 20 minutes or so and ask if you want to hold, or elect for a call back. So, you have to repeatedly reaffirm your "I'll wait on hold" selection.

As I have noted elsewhere, the call back option does not work for me, since the system will not acknowledge any of my key pad inputs.
At least it’s actually offering call backs again. I haven’t been offered one since they rolled out the new phone system.

Its probably for the better they offer it occasionally though. If you’ve waited on hold for four hours, it doesn’t hurt to have the option to bail and chance it on a callback as opposed to just HUCA
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.