Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
These chat agents take forever to connect, and they absolutely suck. They just keep parroting unrelated statements instead of addressing the issue. Then when I ask if they could have a supervisor or manager look at the problem, they just disconnect, and it will then be a multi hour wait for the next agent. I am then sent a survey that when I respond to it, the system tries to ask me questions again as if I'm contacting them for the first time.

I guess having status means nothing.

After spending hours with inept agents (who are probably outsourced), I went to the airport, where the counter agent solved the problem with three clicks of the mouse. I sincerely hope this is not the new normal at Delta.
volabam and dmarge18 like this.

Last edited by diburning; May 15, 2022 at 12:10 pm
Old May 15, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by diburning
After spending hours with inept agents (who are probably outsourced), I went to the airport, where the counter agent solved the problem with three clicks of the mouse. I sincerely hope this is not the new normal at Delta.
It is. It's not yet 100% outsourced. Just wait until 100% of reservations and CS is outsourced to the company that provides these inept agents, whose only goal is to waste your time and/or conveniently disconnect (most often with a message that you must call Delta CS for a routine reservations issue, like making a new reservation, using GUC, cancel, etc., and that they - reservations - cannot handle it), so you have to start all over again.

The best thing to do nowadays is to call the DL CS number direct. It's limited hours, but at least the CS agents are US-based, empowered and trained/experienced, so they will get what you need done quickly and efficiently, though it is not their job (but just explain to them that the chat/SMS "reservations" told you to call them).
Old May 16, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
1h45m hold time on Plat line; no call-back option

Headline says it all. Can't put in my FF #. Not feeling the love. Two res that need to go to the reissue desk. One Monday evening shot.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
^Interesting, I called at 6pm, was quoted 34 minutes for a call back, waited just over an hour and someone called me back. They couldn't solve my problem though.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKC6
Headline says it all. Can't put in my FF #. Not feeling the love. Two res that need to go to the reissue desk. One Monday evening shot.
Well, there was severe weather in the Northeast today so that's not all that bad of a hold time...
Old May 17, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Currently on hold, trying to get an award flight booked that is throwing a fare error on the website. I have no problems on the Plat line getting an agent who can confirm there is a problem, but I end up getting placed on hold and transferred to international ticketing to sort it out. No quoted hold time, no option for callback. Currently at 1 hr. 40 minutes holding. This is the third attempt today (first time was not prepared for long hold, second time got disconnected).

Meanwhile have watched the price increase by 15k miles, and now inventory at the higher price appears to be drying up (seeing only x tickets left at this price where I was not before). So getting nervous.

Anybody know if this is normal right now for international ticketing or does it sound like I have been transferred into a black hole? Considering HUCA but I think I am likely to get told it is normal, just have to wait, and get sent to the back of the line.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
all well now

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, there was severe weather in the Northeast today so that's not all that bad of a hold time...
Tried again last night and it was 3h58m.
Tried tonight and it was 10m, with call-back option. Great Dallas agent, did 2 reissues in 8m. Feeling the love again. Really, sometimes it takes so little to make us happy.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Truthfully, this might be the problem that pushes me toward AS/AA.

Stuck in an airport due to a MX delay (which is 100% going to cause a missed connection), and it's nearly impossible to get ahold of anyone within a reasonable timeframe. Hold times are two hours as a Platinum, by which time anything could happen.

This wasn't as much of a problem when DL was running a better operation (though this is a KL MX problem), but now I find myself calling a lot more when things go wrong. Even if/when you do reach someone, there's usually a 30 minute wait while they talk to a supervisor for anything that's not trivial.

Last edited by manacit; May 21, 2022 at 11:21 pm
Old May 23, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Tried again last night and it was 3h58m.
Tried tonight and it was 10m, with call-back option. Great Dallas agent, did 2 reissues in 8m. Feeling the love again. Really, sometimes it takes so little to make us happy.
Oh no 3h58m! UGH third time this week I'm trying to stay awake to get through with times quited 3. 5 hrs. ALready 1.5 hrs in (no call back and really need to get them at this point and not risk hanging up) yesterday it hung up 1.25 hrs in. Just went to sleep at that point. are they even truly differentiating between medalian levels for this?

the bot didnt work for me...indicated 80 min wait time and then timed out on me!
The app nor the laptop works to change my international flight/including city.
I havent had such wait times since 2020

would they help with rebooking at airport? I asked at LAX when I checked in but they indicated its only bag drop check in. If I cant get through is there an airport option? Not ideal as prices keep increasing meanwhile.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Are you flying in Delta One? The agents in the Delta One room at LAX will be able to help you.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Called to apply an RUC today about 1230pm central time- was quoted 10min and got an agent in 9 - not too bad. Now the actual applying part....
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's so sad that I was thrilled today because my hold time was "only" 33 minutes.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:41 pm

FWIW, this was my experience with the competition over multiple calls in the morning. AA did callbacks that averaged 10 minutes, although once I had to hold an additional 5 minutes. BA UK averaged about 5 minutes. BA US was too busy and hung up.

The issue was rescheduling a flight that was delayed 8.5 hours for aircraft maintenance. The flight was only delayed more than a few minutes once in the past two months (and that was only 57 minutes).
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Even the 855 number for when your flight gets cancelled takes on average 35 minutes based on 14 tries.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Looking to split the PNR for a family trip (4 total) so we're all eligible for upgrades (me as DM + child and wife as PM + child).

Call 1: 10 minute wait but agent claims I'm not allowed to split off passengers and would need to rebook.
Call 2: Only 3 minute wait and agent claims she can split passengers off the PNR, but only 1 at a time (so I wouldn't be able to get 2 and 2). Ask for a supervisor, and after a 45 minute wait she comes back and said the supervisor successfully split the PNR.

In total about 1 hour wasted for something that used to take less than a couple minutes. A far cry from the days of a dedicated DM desk. And it seems emblematic of Delta's phone agent problem, hire a ton of new agents without proper training and then the bottleneck moves from long wait times just to get a front-line agent to long wait times for a supervisor who can actually do what you need them to do.
volabam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.