Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I vote for #4 with you, but the above explanations are mathematically the only reasons this could happen.

All reflect poorly on DL contact center management...are they using an overly optimistic average call time, or using an overly optimistic estimate of agents who will be handling calls? Or assuming lots more folks will hang up than actually occurs?

DL's inability to give accurate estimates definitely indicates that something, easily solvable, is screwed up in the contact center / IT handling.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: Some more than others
I had an odd one as well the other night. I called using my cell phone as a PM and was quoted 2:30 with no callback.

I called using my landline at the same time which is apparently connected to a relative's account as a FO and was quoted 1:40. The reason I knew it was connected to my FO relatives account was that he was greeted by name, whereas I was not.

I tried this a couple times to make sure it wasn't an anomaly and got the same results. I ended up using both the text service and calling in the middle of the night without wait and each time was greeted as a PM so I know at least some DL system has my number connected to my account.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
All reflect poorly on DL contact center management...are they using an overly optimistic average call time, or using an overly optimistic estimate of agents who will be handling calls? Or assuming lots more folks will hang up than actually occurs?

DL's inability to give accurate estimates definitely indicates that something, easily solvable, is screwed up in the contact center / IT handling.
I should ask my wife of her opinion on such things since she builds and manages contact centers for companies (not Delta, lol).
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I am so sick of having to wait hours to either have a call answered or returned (as a DM) trying to same day change or cancel a ticket because I used an ecredit to purchase the ticket. My latest aggravation was Friday night--quoted 2 hours 27 minutes at 11:45pm EDT. Finally answered at 3:28 am. I have tried the messaging--the worst. And the call back-2nd worst-in my experience, I have gotten much better customer service from AA as a non-status flyer, than from Delta. It is beyond time for Delta to make the website functional for simple changes/cancelations.
As a no-status Skymiles member, I've wasted more time rebooking ecredits than I'd care to admit. I think I'll just book refundable fares from now on; since COVID, they seem to only be a $100 to $150 premium over nonrefundable instead of twice as much. I can live with that in exchange for the flexibility.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
This morning have been on hold for nearly 3.5 hours as a silver medallion. The problem is, the messaging team is great for some things, but there are many things they just can’t do. Delta needs to deploy (redeploy?) more agents to the call center. It is quite sad. This was at first understandable, but they have had two years (and so much free money from the US Government as well) to figure this out!
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I hate adding fuel to the fire, but this has really become untenable. I am a PM (so, chopped liver, but chopped liver with a bit of loyalty) and have recently been quoted callback times of 2 hours and 3.5 hours in the evening Pacific Time. The most recent time the call came an hour after my scheduled callback time, and it took nearly 45 minutes to apply a RUC to instant upgrade space.

The automated response always encourages you to go to delta.com, but that's woefully incapable of doing basic things like applying a RUC or rebooking travel (I'd say it's 50/50 for that). Last time I tried to use the iMessage line, I was told that "I'm so sorry, but regional upgrade is out of my scope." I've got flight credit that the website won't let me apply, but at this point I'm not going to wait 4 hours on the phone to try and use it.

I feel bad for the delta exec who's responsible for their NPS and other customer loyalty/happiness metrics. This sort of thing is guaranteed to absolutely tank any goodwill that I have.
hockeystl and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by manacit
I feel bad for the delta exec who's responsible for their NPS and other customer loyalty/happiness metrics. This sort of thing is guaranteed to absolutely tank any goodwill that I have.
Delta reported last week a record high NPS.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
That's quite impressive - especially when you look at the gains from 2011 to now, it's been more or less up and to the right. It looks like investments elsewhere have been able to paper over some of the issues like this in the last couple of years. Hopefully staffing issues can get ironed out and we can return to the days of what was (IMO) some of the best phone support I'd experienced anywhere.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by manacit; Mar 19, 2022 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Okay, so I asked my wife several questions about why Delta might be doing this and if their systems are functioning as intended. She basically said they're not spending the money on customer support as there should be sufficient staffing. She said what she would do is look up the chief of customer support on linked in and contact them there. She briefly looked it up and they've been with the company for 36 years so something has had to change because I'm sure delta support hasn't been this bad for 30+ years. And for some reason the chief of customer support has just let it happen.

I also asked why the Singapore route for calls from the US was severed and she said it was probably messing up their metrics for that region. I then proceeded to ask if most companies have failovers from one region/vendor to another and she said yes so it doesn't really make sense why singapore is no longer a viable option.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Waiting for a callback and into second hour, trying to use upgrade certificates, come on Delta, unbelievable stuff, never have issues getting through to Alaska Airlines.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Where or how was this record reported?
SamirD and Minnyappleus like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
By Glen Hauenstein.
And then on the Net Promoter Score, I think this is a really great testament to the team, one that maybe you wouldn't expect, because we haven't restored all the service levels back yet. I'm excited to say that where we sit today we are about 6 points above where we ended in 2019 without full service restoration. So I think it's continued focus on the customer experience, continued improvements in the fleet. And of course, all backed up by, well, we know we are the best people in the industry, who deliver superior service every day.

So, highest net promoter scores and I'm also excited to say that we are bringing back a lot of the historical services that you're used to. Last week, we started hot meals on domestic first class. As of today, as a matter of fact, the full Delta One services go back on all of the international flights. So we are expecting as we head through the summer that we can continue to take the momentum that we've built through the pandemic, and produce net promoter scores that are even higher.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/449...nce-transcript
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
So ever since the system changed they have no idea who I am. And when I call I just get lumped into the line with everyone else. When they call me back (if they even do) they ask for my info.

How can this be? How do I update (whatever system) to have it recognize the number I am calling from?

How could Delta take a 15+ year step BACK with a NEW system????
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Originally Posted by SamirD
Okay, so I asked my wife several questions about why Delta might be doing this and if their systems are functioning as intended. She basically said they're not spending the money on customer support as there should be sufficient staffing. She said what she would do is look up the chief of customer support on linked in and contact them there. She briefly looked it up and they've been with the company for 36 years so something has had to change because I'm sure delta support hasn't been this bad for 30+ years. And for some reason the chief of customer support has just let it happen.

I also asked why the Singapore route for calls from the US was severed and she said it was probably messing up their metrics for that region. I then proceeded to ask if most companies have failovers from one region/vendor to another and she said yes so it doesn't really make sense why singapore is no longer a viable option.
That explains why the wait times are terrible, but doesn't explain why the estimates when one initially calls turn out to be so inaccurate.

As noted--mathematically they are either forgetting peoples' place in queue, or they are using inaccurate estimates of the average call time, percentage of folks who abandon a call before being helped, or the number of agents that will be available to answer the queue.

Or they are just spouting random / rosy estimates without any mathematical foundation.

(I'm weirdly interested in this as 20 years ago I learned more than I might care to know about contact center math--though professionals please correct me on the above!)
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
The transcript was posted above, but you can see the deck as well on Delta’s investor relations website: https://s2.q4cdn.com/181345880/files...5.22-Final.pdf

Page 4 has the data.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.